• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open or Concealed Carry into Eugene '08 Festival?

Orygunner

imported post

The Eugene '08 Festival is currently going on in Eugene, at and around the University of Oregon.The Eugene 08 Festivalwebsite (www.eugene08.com ) says all weapons are prohibited. Since this the University of Oregon is a PUBLIC university, my understanding of the law is that ORS 166.370 prohibits firearms IN university buildings (colleges and universities are listed as a "public building" in ORS 360), but they cannot prohibit open carry for non CHL holders on the grounds. Even if that is up for dispute, if someone is a CHL holder, they definitely have NO legal grounds to prohibit CHL holders from open or concealed carrying within the festival whatsoever.

I sent an Email to them about two weeks ago asking them to clarify the weapons policy, and under what authority they are prohibiting them, and (suprise) have received no response from them at all.

I would like to know if anyone is going to try, has tried, or has even succeeded in legally carrying a handgun, openly or concealed, in the festival.

...Orygunner...

No NAU

imported post

If you do have a CHL I don't see how they could legally do anything to you since it is public property. If you were a student and a CHL holder they could expell you but you could not be arrested.

The issue does get rather tangled though in regards to who the property "belongs" to at the time of the festival. Please reference this thread in regards to a similar event in Virginia:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/11966.html

I've OC'd in Eugene before in front of LEO's with no problem but I did have the ultimate in threat reduction with the 1 year oldson in the stroller and the 4 year old daughter riding on the back of it so... I'm with johnnyb, bring a friend and a video camera if you decide to go and OC.

Kevwyo

imported post

I'm from Roseburg. While watching the news tonite I noticed that they had metal detectors and they were wanding people ... similar to the airport or a courthouse.

I could be wrong but can't the U of O say "no guns" on campus?

I work at a public school and while I think technically I could carry on campus despite our districts rules and reg's it certainly would turn into a fight. Similar to that teacher down in Medford from this past winter/fall.

For me it's not a fight I want to get into.

Orygunner

imported post

Kevwyo wrote:
I'm from Roseburg. While watching the news tonite I noticed that they had metal detectors and they were wanding people ... similar to the airport or a courthouse.

I could be wrong but can't the U of O say "no guns" on campus?

I work at a public school and while I think technically I could carry on campus despite our districts rules and reg's it certainly would turn into a fight. Similar to that teacher down in Medford from this past winter/fall.

For me it's not a fight I want to get into.

From what I understand (don't take my word for it, research it yourself): The University of Oregon is a PUBLIC campus. They cannot legally prevent you from carrying a handgun in open carry, except in the buildings (counts as a "public building"). However, with a CHL, that restriction is removed.

I would be very tempted to Open Carry to the Eugene 08 Festival, but I don't think a major event hosting visitors from around the US would handle that well.

I WOULD try to enter with concealed carry, after consulting an attorney as well as having a buddy with a video camera with me. However, I JUST applied for my CHL on Monday and it's not expected to arrive in the mail until way after the event is over.

Me and the family are probably going to go down there Sunday and check it out, but I won't be carrying. I definitely will talk to them and someone in charge to see exactly WHO is managing the event (whether it was leased to some event company or if the City of Eugene is in charge), and if they would try to stop a valid CHL holder from entering with a concealed handgun.

...Orygunner...

SetivaSicWood

imported post

don't think it's a good idea to challenge it this time. I may be mistaken but, my guess is "they" will invoke the Fed limitations of firearms near schools. (the 1000' rule).

You can try it but I highly doubt they are going to let you in with a gun exposed on your hip.

Concealed carry with a CHL might give you some room to argue the point if they wand you.

If you intened on recording, you better let your intent be known from the get go or you might get to stand before a judge and explain; if your pockets are deep enough.

Attachments

• arab_terrorists_01.jpg
    arab_terrorists_01.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 195

Orygunner

imported post

Thundar wrote:
If you have a CHL then the (unconstitutional) Federal victim disarmament zone does not apply to you.

Are you referring to the exception in the Gun-Free Schools Zones Act forCHL holders?:

TITLE 18 > PART I > CHAPTER 44 > § 922
[Gun-Free School Zones Act does not apply] "if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or apolitical subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verifythat the individual is qualified under law to receive the license; "

Or is there some other Federal law excluding CHL holders from "disarmament zones"?

...Orygunner...