• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carried in Cody all day today.

Sully

imported post

Only one person gave me a strange look (tourist). It's a good feeling since where I live in Michigan everyone would have freaked and called police, even though it's perfectly legal to open carry in Michigan.

The service manager at the dealership struck up a conversation with me about shooting and asked what I carried. He proceeded to tell me what his carry piece is and where he shoots. Good people here in God's Country. How fortunate you all are to live here.

stormme56

imported post

Hey Sully... I think I said that OC would be OK around here... In a earlier post...

Wyoming is a fine place to visit / live... I carry a Ruger .45LC'Vaquero' (old version) in a western drop down holster with leg tie... Most folks are more interested in the gun, than the fact that I carry it .. HAR!

Have a great time here...!!!

Manka Cat

imported post

I live in cody, and OC everyday. What dealership did you visit? I currently work at Fremont, but can't OC while working. Glad you visited, I've only ever seen two other people OC in Cody, one was my best friend with one of my pistols, and the other was a rancher about 5 years ago. I'm glad you OCed here, so its not just me people see.

Mopsey

imported post

I never see people OC but considering the number of people with CCW, there are a good number out there.

AB

imported post

I have adressed W.S., 1957, § 6-239 in previous postings

See thread Confusion over WY Open Carry restriction

34-3. Carrying concealed or wearing weapons openly.*
It shall be unlawful for any person to wear or carry any dirk, slingshot, gun,
knife, dagger, sword in case, or other dangerous or deadly weapon concealed, or to
carry or wear such weapons openly, with the avowed purpose of injuring any other
person, or of disturbing the peace of the city or any of the inhabitants thereof.

This city code says you cannot open carry in Cody, WY

SDguy

imported post

According to that law the city has to show evidence that your motive was to distrub the peace or injure another person. Openly carrying for protection is not necessarly in violation of the Cody law.

An arresting officer must show probable cause to believe that your motive was not peaceful. I have never had a problem openly carrying in Cody.

AB

imported post

Take a look a a city code from Cheyenne:

9.24.040 Carrying concealed weapons--Carrying weapons openly with intent to inflict injury.

No person shall wear or carry concealed any knife the blade of which exceeds four inches in length, any dirk, dagger, sword-in-cane, slingshot, revolver, pistol or any other dangerous or deadly weapon. No person shall openly wear or carry any such weapon or any combustible or explosive material with the intent or avowed purpose for injuring any person. (2001 In-house code § 30-54)

Do you notice that it was crafted not to include " or of disturbing the peace of the city or any of the inhabitants thereof"

That isthe slippery slope in which the anti gun crowd says "It disturbs us to see people wearing guns"

We must not be complacent about Wyoming gun laws don't think we are not on the radar see: http://www.lcav.org/states/wyoming.asp

Look at what happened to Colorado itis a patchwork of open carry jurisdictions, mostly because of the influx of peoplefrom states like California.

Jackson and Cody are experiencing the same kind of growth and it is starting tobe evident in the local politics,right now there is one of the most liberal candidates in Wyomingon the ballotin the Jacksonarea.

SDguy

imported post

I have openly carried in Cheyenne without a problem. Did so in full view of several police officers and they did notice. Have also openly carried in most cities and towns in Wyoming without a problem.

Perhaps we need more of us doing the same to demonstrate that it is legal and we are peaceful.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

SDguy wrote:
I have openly carried in Cheyenne without a problem. Did so in full view of several police officers and they did notice. Have also openly carried in most cities and towns in Wyoming without a problem.

Perhaps we need more of us doing the same to demonstrate that it is legal and we are peaceful.
That is precisely the point and purpose of this site. :)

Yata hey

PaulB

Opt-Out Members
imported post

This city code says you cannot open carry in Cody, WY
Utter nonsense! It only says you can't do that if you openly state you are going to harm someone or raise hell. That's what "avowed" means.

There are a lot of unreasonable laws on the books, but I can't see that this one is (other than the fact it will not deter idiots from doing it, which is true of almost any law).