• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

pro- open carry letter to editor

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

http://www.insidenova.com/isn/news/opinion/letters_to_the_editor/article/cherry_picking_does_not_reach_the_truth/17545

Marvin Marin
Published: June 26, 2008

This letter is in response to Mr. Jacobsen’s column on June 24 regarding the Violence Policy Center’s statistics regarding gun violence in Hawaii.

Reading the article any person would see those numbers and instantly jump to the conclusion that Mr. Jacobsen is right. However, Mr. Jacobsen has mistakenly believed the statistics cherry picked by
the Violence Policy Center and did not research the numbers himself.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has an interactive application located at http://webapp.cdc.gov/sasweb/ncipc/mortrate10_sy.html that allows you to query their database to
determine deaths in the United States based on several factors. It’s the same data that the VDC used.

If you make the following selections: homicide, firearm, and state under “select output group(s),” and keep the rest of the default settings, you will get a more accurate representation of reality.

The most restrictive “state” in the union in terms of firearm laws has the highest incidence of murders by firearm per capita. You guessed it, Washington, D.C. — not Louisiana.

Now, Hawaii (0.39) does have the smallest per capita rate of homicide by firearms just as the VPC reported. However, the rates for other states drop dramatically. North Dakota (0.47), Maine (0.61) and
New Hampshire (0.61) are statistically very close to the rates of Hawaii. In addition, Maine and New Hampshire have equivalent populations all without the unconstitutional restrictions in place in Hawaii.

How did the numbers differ? The VPC included deaths attributed to self-defense, law enforcement shootings and suicides. If you’re going to have a fair, balanced and logical debate on firearms, let’s at
least use the right figures.

In closing, I hope that you go to the CDC’s Web site and check the numbers yourself. I also ask all my fellow Virginians to carry their firearms openly, proudly and responsibly. A right unused is a right
that both the VPC and Mr. Jacobsen want to take away from you.

MARVIN MARIN

Dumfries