• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Get your puke bag

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

As posted in the Washington Post....

Note the second bullet in the letter.....

Semiautomatic handguns will continue to be banned?!?! WHAT?! This woman's got alot of balls to publicly declare her intent to ignore the USSC ruling. Someone needs to come down on her HARD this is absolutely unbelievable!

Sent: Thursday, June 26, 2008 6:35 PM
Subject: Supreme Court Update

Residents,

Unfortunately, the Supreme Court today struck down part of the District of Columbia's handgun ban. I wanted to drop you a note to let you know the immediate impact of this decision.

The Supreme Court's ruling is limited and leaves intact various other laws that apply to private residents who would purchase handguns or other firearms for home possession. It is important that everyone know that:
  • a.. First, all firearms must be registered with the Metropolitan Police Department's Firearms Registration Section before they may be lawfully possessed.

a.. Second, automatic and semiautomatic handguns generally remain illegal and may not be registered.

a.. Third, the Supreme Court's ruling is limited to handguns in the home and does not entitle anyone to carry firearms outside his or her own home.
Lastly, although the Court struck the safe storage provision on the ground that it was too broadly written, in my opinion firearms in the home should be kept either unloaded and disassembled or locked.

I will comply with the Court's reading of the Second Amendment in its letter and spirit. At the same time, I will continue to vigorously enforce the District's other gun-related laws. I will also continue to find additional ways to protect the District's residents against the scourge of gun violence.

Residents who want additional information can visit the Metropolitan Police Website at http://www.mpdc.dc.gov/gunregistration. Residents with questions are encouraged to contact the Firearms Registration Section at 202-727-9490.

Sncerely,

Cathy Lanier
Chief of Police

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

From page 11 of the USSC opinion (emphasis added):

=========
Some have made the argument, bordering on the frivolous, that only those arms in existence in the 18th century are protected by the Second Amendment. We do not interpret constitutional rights that way. Just as the First Amendment protects modern forms of communications, e.g., Reno v. American Civil Liberties Union, 521 U. S. 844, 849 (1997), and the Fourth Amendment applies to modern forms of search, e.g., Kyllo v. United States, 533 U. S. 27, 35–36 (2001), the Second Amendment extends, prima facie, to all instruments that constitute bearable arms, even those that were not in existence at the time of the founding.
==========

To me, this paragraph is very clear, stating the 2nd amendment extends to all instruments that constitute bearable arms, which includes semiautomatic handguns.

All joking aside, how is this text even remotely unclear to any but the most grammatically challenged among us?

Tim

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

timf343 wrote:
From page 11 of the USSC opinion (emphasis added):

=========
Some have made the argument, bordering on the frivolous, that only those arms in existence in the 18th century are protected by the Second Amendment. We do not interpret constitutional rights that way. Just as the First Amendment protects modern forms of communications, e.g., Reno v. American Civil Liberties Union, 521 U. S. 844, 849 (1997), and the Fourth Amendment applies to modern forms of search, e.g., Kyllo v. United States, 533 U. S. 27, 35–36 (2001), the Second Amendment extends, prima facie, to all instruments that constitute bearable arms, even those that were not in existence at the time of the founding.
==========

To me, this paragraph is very clear, stating the 2nd amendment extends to all instruments that constitute bearable arms, which includes semiautomatic handguns.

All joking aside, how is this text even remotely unclear to any but the most grammatically challenged among us?

Tim

Don't try to mix logic and gun control.

If they think they see wiggle room somewhere in the opinion, they will use it and try to get away with whatever they can.

OC-Glock19

Founder's Club Member
imported post

"I will also continue to find additional ways to protect the District's residents against the scourge of gun violence."

How about protecting them from the scourge of criminal violence instead, Chief?

DocNTexas

imported post

Unfortunately, they have to actually deny someone the right to register a semi-automatic before anything can be files (merely making that statement is not considered actually refusing to allow registration), however, as soon as registration begins again I hope someone tries to register such a weapon and themoment they refuse to do so theyfilessuite against thisself appointed elitist andpoorexcuse for a police chief and the city of WDC. I feel certain that the courts will not see it the same as she does and SCOTUS sure won't listen to it. Sounds like it is time to push for a new Mayor and police chief in DC. Don't you just love it when those who are supposed to sworn to enforce and uphold the laws decide they can make the laws and see themselves above the law.

Doc

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Thank GOD I live in the other Washington. I just don’t understand how some of the lawmakers think. Cant they see it is not guns that are the problem but it is the criminals? I saw the governor of DC saying "now there will be more people being shot on our streets" Yeah the only ones that will be shot on the streets are the criminals that chose to take that risk and attack the law abiding citizens. It wont be law-abiding citizens shooting innocent people on the streets, but the BG that tried to harm them.

It's will not be the gun's fault if someone get shot on your streets by the law-abiding citizen, But it is your courts fault and the system's fault for allowing the criminals to be on the streets to do harm others in the first place. If your system would place these people in prison for an extended time, and if you would implement more resources to catch these people to put them in prison, then they wont be shot…. Look at it this way, more gun in the hands of law-abiding citizens with the proper training will help your city crime rate to fall.

And just because the citizens are armed, it does not mean their gun will end up on the streets in the hands of the criminals.

I am sorry guys I just am tired of these backward thinking people making restrictions. They will not allow people to protect themselves while the criminals run the streets at will, hunting and gunning down anyone they want at their own free will. Leave these cities and move to Washington state. It's one of the best places in America I promise you, you will LOVE IT. And let the those who want to stay victims live where the wolvesare free to prey on the unarmed.:banghead: