• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying cross states??

Coyote 9MM

imported post

I'm new to all of this and just discovered the'open carry' concept from a nightline story a day or two ago. I travel extensively in summer/fall - from my home in Keithville, LA to IL, NC, SC, NM, TX, etc.etc.

I've been aware that I can carry a loaded firearm in my car in LA - which I do - a Glock 9MM, usually in the center console or passenger seatback pocket where I can reach it easily.

I do not have a Conceal permit. What are my rights for having the gun in the car when I travel? Can I be arrested if stopped (traffic) in another state and the gun is found and/or revealed? I don't carry a receipt - it's registered to me, dont the LEO's have access to that info?

I read one thread about revealing a gun to a LEO vs tossing it under the seat. Seems to me, any act of suddenly tossing something under the seat upon being stopped would be viewed as threatening and immediately heighten the LEO's instincts and attitude. My plan has always been to reveal if asked. I have nothing illegal in my car so opening myself to a search does not seem a problem unles i was paranoid the LEO wanted to 'plant' something.

Thoughts, opinions, help! Thanks

Gun_Addict

imported post

As for as I know, Ms is about the same as La. But Alabama is another story. If you do not have a permit, the gun must be unloaded and locked up in a case in the back seat or in the trunk. They do not allow the gun in with the driver. If you have a permit it can be concealed on your person or in plain view. For safety just keep your registration and insurance papers in a seperate place from you weapon so you don't have to pull it out to get to them.
I learned of this a few years later after I had been driving across there every other week, with my gun in a side pocket. Here is some links to follow that has info on all the states: http://www.usacarry.com/

As well as the home page for the forums here should have information. Here is another excellent link:

http://louisianacarry.org/

There will be links at these sites to follow for detailed info on each state and welcome to the site. I don't post here much but visit every day.;)

This is from the Alabama page:
Automobile carry:
It is illegal to carry a pistol in a vehicle in Alabama without a license except under the following conditions:
1. A person permitted by law to possess a pistol may, without a license, carry a pistol which is not loaded and is in a secure wrapper in a vehicle from the place of purchase to his home or place of business.
2. A person permitted by law to possess a pistol may, without a license, carry a pistol which is not loaded and is in a secure wrapper in a vehicle to and from his home or business to a place of repair.
3. A person permitted by law to possess a pistol may, without a license, carry a pistol which is not loaded and is in a secure wrapper in a vehicle when moving from one place of abode or business to another.

One state you won't have to search....

Coyote 9MM

imported post

Thanks for the excellent resources. I obviously need to do sme further reading and research. I know ignorange of the law is not an excuse, but that's why I always felt if asked I'd reveal -- then I'd rely on my travelling along and carrying for protection to maybe get me through.

Seems the clear problem is that there is no uniformity of laws. Even having a permit here in LA would not allow me to carry in other states I visit. In fact, a friend who recently got a permith thru a LA school said the instructor had them apply for and get a Florida permit because their is more liberal and apparently more widely accepted by other states??

WhiteRabbit22

imported post

I guess I got lucky going through Alabama. I got pulled over and because I had my gun in the glovebox, I told him so there would be no surprises. He didn't seem to care at all that i had a loaded gun in the car. he asked if I had a permit, and I told him one is not required in LA. and that was that, he just wrote me a speeding ticket and went on his way. Prolly didn't want to do the paperwork.

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
imported post

Coyote 9MM wrote:
Thanks for the excellent resources. I obviously need to do sme further reading and research. I know ignorange of the law is not an excuse, but that's why I always felt if asked I'd reveal -- then I'd rely on my travelling along and carrying for protection to maybe get me through.

Seems the clear problem is that there is no uniformity of laws. Even having a permit here in LA would not allow me to carry in other states I visit. In fact, a friend who recently got a permith thru a LA school said the instructor had them apply for and get a Florida permit because their is more liberal and apparently more widely accepted by other states??

I'm not sure when you got that advice, but Louisiana now has reciprocity with most states that have reciprocity laws.

I recommend you get a Louisiana concealed handgun permit. The Florida nonresident permit (which accepts the same proof of training required for a Louisiana permit) adds Delaware, New Mexico, and Ohio to the list of states where a Louisiana permitholdermay carry.

Although you could legally carry in most states you travel with just a Florida permit, getting a Louisiana permit provides you greater coverage (Colorado, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, New Hampshire, South Carolina, and Washington won't recognize a Florida nonresident permit but do recognize Louisiana resident permits) and adds to the ranks of Louisiana permitholders and increases your clout at the Legislature when pro-gun advocates in Louisiana seek changes in Louisiana law--such as repealing the restaurant carry ban, repealing other statutory criminal protection zones where you can't legally carry even with a permit, restoring the NICS exemption for gun purchases Louisiana used to have, repealing the grandfather clause in the state preemption law, etc.

Coyote 9MM

imported post

Thanks for that advice. The Florida permit info came from two close friends who got their concealed permits in a class together and it was their instructor who suggested the Florida permit. I don't know who the instructor was or his reasoning other than they led me to believe there was wide reciprocit with the Florida permit - or at least that's what they were told.