• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Armscor USA Precision Ammo...

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Armscor40.jpg

This is40 S&WARMSCOR USAPrecision 180gr. FMJ Ammo. This ammo is reloaded by ARMSCOR USAPrecision Ammunition in Pahrump, Nevada, which is a subsidiary of Arms Corporation of the Philippines. This ammo is loaded using once fired brass and new ARMSCOR bullets, powder and primers.ARMSCOR Precision is based out ot the Philippines and have produced quality weapons and ammunition for many years.ARMSCOR Small Arms Ammunition line is one of the largest and most comprehensive lines of ammunition available in SoutheastAsia today. The Company offers a wide selection of competitively priced ammunition and components with sales spread throughout the world. ARMSCOR, an ISO 9001 Certified Company, complies with the SAAMI, CIP and other military or customer desired standards or requirements. ARMSCOR cartridges and components are widely used by the police, military, gun hobbyist, combat shooters and other shooting enthusiast due to its high quality, precise and dependable performance. These are quality reloads for blasting at the range. This ammo is packed in 50rd. boxes, 1000rds. per case.
I'm looking to stock up on handgun ammunition, and there's no way in hell I'm going to stock thousands of rounds of stupidly expensive hollow-points. I want good, reliable, jacketed ammo, at the cheapest price I can find. I recently found this stuff for sale for roughly $.23 a round, which is cheap enough to peak my interest. Does anyone have any experience with this ammo?

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Ok, since apparently no one has any experience with this ammo, let me ask a more open ended question. What do you guys think about stocking up on and carrying FMJ ammunition? I'm getting tired of the prices of the "self defense" ammunition out there, and it seems to me like a nice solid jacketed bullet will do a fine job of taking someone down. The Winchester 100 count white box is the cheapest I've found .40 cal ammo, at 27 cents per round. I have NEVER had a failure while using this ammo at the range. Can anyone give me a good reason why I shouldn't just use this as my self defense ammo?

compmanio365

imported post

You shouldn't use it as your self defense ammo due to the risk of overpenetration. I carry HP even in my 45, because I want ALL the energy of that bullet to go into the bad guy, and stay there, causing him extreme pain every time he moves. A FMJ round may overpenetrate, hitting innocent bystanders behind the BG, and causing very little energy to actually end up in the target.....now all you have is a bleeding hole that is already closing up, and a very pissed off BG (maybe along with a dead kid that happened to be standing behind said BG)......not a good scenario.

Here's what I do. I practice and break in any of my guns with cheap-ass FMJ ammo, and then put a box of 50 through my carry weapon to insure proper feeding, firing, and ejecting, total reliability. If it works 100 percent on that box, I'll carry it. Now you haven't really spent that much on SD ammo, just enough to insure proper functioning, and you can feel better that you are carrying ammo that is much less likely to overpenetrate. You don't have to buy any more SD ammo, until you feel the ammo in your gun is too old to rely on, then you swap it out for more ammo. That should take a while, and will keep your costs at a minimal. Train with practice ammo, kill with the real deal.......

Unfortunately, I know nothing about the ammo you speak of in the picture.....I wouldn't use it as my carry ammo, so if you get it, plink away.....if it causes misfeeds or something, at least you know you aren't relying on it for SD, as long as it doesn't damage the gun itself.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

See, I hear the "FMJ will over-penetrate and kill a baby!" all the time. But what did we do for all those years while guns were around, but before hollow-points were around? Was there a constant rash of babies killed by over-penetration? On another point, I kinda WANT penetration, so that I can more effectively shoot through thin barriers, glass, and thick clothing. Or is that just a silly endeavor?

compmanio365

imported post

DreQo wrote:
See, I hear the "FMJ will over-penetrate and kill a baby!" all the time. But what did we do for all those years while guns were around, but before hollow-points were around? Was there a constant rash of babies killed by over-penetration? On another point, I kinda WANT penetration, so that I can more effectively shoot through thin barriers, glass, and thick clothing. Or is that just a silly endeavor?

It wasn't as worried about as it was today; it is worried about now more that most people are carrying in urban environments, and instead of an empty field behind the BG, you have a crowded street corner........I would think that a 45, being a heavy, slow bullet, has a minimal chance of overpenetration, while a 9mm has been proven to overpenetrate again and again........

And I don't intend on shooting through barriers, doors, walls, or anything that I can't see my target behind and what's beyond it. Glass will not affect a hollow point round as much since it is so thin; it will just cause it to shatter or punch a hole through something like plexiglass.......it will expand once it contacts something thicker, like flesh and bone, or a wall.....

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

I've seen plenty of ballistic tests where the hollowpoint just plain failed as it passed through a single layer of denim. And yeah, of course you're not going to shoot at something you can't see, but if a BG is, say, inside of a vehicle shooting out the window, I'd like to have rounds that will potentially go through the door. There are countless other scenarios I could think of, but the point is that your target is not always going to be standing naked 21 feet from you out in the open.

So other then the possibility of over-penetration (I don't carry 9mm) and the assumption that there will always be a helpless orphan standing directly behind my target, does anyone have a real, honest, citable (is that a word?) reason to not carry FMJ?

compmanio365

imported post

Carry whatever you want.....I see no need when I can minimize my cost by practicing with the cheaper FMJs, and carry the HPs that I am more confident about actually doing the job and not killing someone besides the bad guy........I refuse to acerbate my legal liability any more than necessary by being charged with manslaughter for a SD case, simply because I was too cheap to spend 10 more cents for a couple rounds of HP ammo.....:?

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Over penetration is not just an issue of hitting something behind the target. Think the difference between being stabbed quickly by an icepick vs being stabbed by a very large philips screwdriver that gets wiggled around a bit. Or think the difference of a .45" hole vs a .82-.84" hole from the best expanding .45 rounds, in other words, for most rounds, think 75-80% larger hole. The better SD rounds will not separate and by retaining their mass but not fully penetrating their entire energy is released into the target. Still, you are correct that they do not always expand.

Choosing SD ammo is, like most things with firearms, a rather personal endeavor. I like CorBon DPX ammo as being an all copper round it maintains it's mass, expands consistently in testing even through hard barriers such as windshields and car doors and is an excellent penetrator overall. It also consistently expands 80%+ and I'm thinking that a bigger hole with full penetration front to back can't reduce the round's ability to stop a BG as quickly as possible thereby eliminating the threat.

tattedupboy

imported post

DreQo wrote:
I've seen plenty of ballistic tests where the hollowpoint just plain failed as it passed through a single layer of denim. And yeah, of course you're not going to shoot at something you can't see, but if a BG is, say, inside of a vehicle shooting out the window, I'd like to have rounds that will potentially go through the door. There are countless other scenarios I could think of, but the point is that your target is not always going to be standing naked 21 feet from you out in the open.

So other then the possibility of over-penetration (I don't carry 9mm) and the assumption that there will always be a helpless orphan standing directly behind my target, does anyone have a real, honest, citable (is that a word?) reason to not carry FMJ?
DreQo, let's look at it another way. FMJs (the non expanding variety) are not designed to expand, while HPs are. Because HPs are designed to expand you can rest assured that those rounds, much more so than FMJs, are going to stay in the target and not hit someone else. FMJs, because they're not designed to expand, are far more likely to hit something you did not intend to hit due to the fact that their design is one that is not conducive to staying inside the target. Yes, FMJs are cheaper, but they should never be used for self defense by virtue of how they're designed. So please, stop trying to convince yourself that because HPs don't expand 100% of the time, that it makes sense to carry FMJs, which expand 0% of the time.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

I do understand what you guys are saying. Let me ask this, and I'm honestly curious here. Can someone cite an incident where a handgun round passed through the intended target and struck a bystander? I'm talking like self defense or shootings by police...

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

DreQo wrote:
So carry a .45ACP AND a .44 Magnum. Ready for any situation.

DocV

imported post

DreQo wrote:
I do understand what you guys are saying. Let me ask this, and I'm honestly curious here. Can someone cite an incident where a handgun round passed through the intended target and struck a bystander? I'm talking like self defense or shootings by police...

Yes, I believe there were several involving the NYPD. I have to do some digging.

jbone

imported post

DreQo wrote:
Armscor40.jpg

This is40 S&WARMSCOR USAPrecision 180gr. FMJ Ammo. This ammo is reloaded by ARMSCOR USAPrecision Ammunition in Pahrump, Nevada, which is a subsidiary of Arms Corporation of the Philippines. This ammo is loaded using once fired brass and new ARMSCOR bullets, powder and primers.ARMSCOR Precision is based out ot the Philippines and have produced quality weapons and ammunition for many years.ARMSCOR Small Arms Ammunition line is one of the largest and most comprehensive lines of ammunition available in SoutheastAsia today. The Company offers a wide selection of competitively priced ammunition and components with sales spread throughout the world. ARMSCOR, an ISO 9001 Certified Company, complies with the SAAMI, CIP and other military or customer desired standards or requirements. ARMSCOR cartridges and components are widely used by the police, military, gun hobbyist, combat shooters and other shooting enthusiast due to its high quality, precise and dependable performance. These are quality reloads for blasting at the range. This ammo is packed in 50rd. boxes, 1000rds. per case.
I'm looking to stock up on handgun ammunition, and there's no way in hell I'm going to stock thousands of rounds of stupidly expensive hollow-points. I want good, reliable, jacketed ammo, at the cheapest price I can find. I recently found this stuff for sale for roughly $.23 a round, which is cheap enough to peak my interest. Does anyone have any experience with this ammo?

If cheep it’s always worth the try. I'm familiar with their firearms,like their rock island .45, would think the ammo is as good as any other less expensive ammo. I think they been making ammo since around the endof WW2.

VAopencarry

imported post

Overpenetration shouldn't be too much of a concern. At what velocity is the 'penetrated' bullet going to have after passing through a foot of flesh, bone, tendons etc?

With hit rates being so low, overpenetration is almost moot. If the 'target' is missed a few times, I am not going to worry about the few that are hits overpenetrating.

hit rates

nova

imported post

Even a .45 FMJ will penetrate 20+ inches in gel. Unless it hits a bone it will almost certainly make an exit wound.

As previously stated though...be concerned with hitting the target in the first place :)

Also, if the price of defensive ammunition is an issue, then get a box or two of Winchester USA JHPs at WalMart...it is still better than using FMJ in terms of effectiveness.

thx997303

imported post

Now, what about a SHTF scenario? Would you rather have 3000 rounds of FMJ or 1000 rounds of JHP? I'm not using the handgun for my main defense gun in such a situation, I will be using my M91/30 and my SKS, and I will be using the M91/30 for hunting mostly.

Of course, hollow points for the SKS are the same price as FMJ a lot of the time, so I might buy a lot of them.

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

thx997303 wrote:
Now, what about a SHTF scenario? Would you rather have 3000 rounds of FMJ or 1000 rounds of JHP? I'm not using the handgun for my main defense gun in such a situation, I will be using my M91/30 and my SKS, and I will be using the M91/30 for hunting mostly.

Of course, hollow points for the SKS are the same price as FMJ a lot of the time, so I might buy a lot of them.
7.62x39 HPs are the same price as FMJs. Question I wonder is, with no price difference, is there any reason I'd rather use FMJs at the range?

thx997303

imported post

Ah! don't quote me!

I have seen them at the same price, not sure if this is an all of the time occurance.

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Wolf 7.62x39 has been the same price for FMJ or HP since I've been shooting my AK. I've been buying FMJ though because I thought there may be a reason not to use HP for the range. But I really have no idea what that reason would be.