• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

had my mind set, need some more advice

Fawkes

imported post

My stimulus check will be here this week & it's buying time. I've had my heart set on a cz-p01 based on reviews, looks, & performance. The key rule of gun ownership, it seems, is to hold it first. Living in Va Beach, I haven't been able to find one, nor an sp-01, yet I recently found one about an hour away. Anyway, I recently held an XDm and found it to fit quite nicely. I haven't fired one yet, but I plan to this weekend. I was aiming for a 9mm due to my recently broken hand, but I have been weight training and I seem to be back to normal, however; firing will be the final test. All-and-all, I'm torn, I haven't heard much about the XD's, but everything looks good. I like the added safety features, especially for a first-timer, and wanted anyone's opinion. The XDm has quite a few extras that come with it for a measly extra
$50 and with times the way they are, should I reconsider?

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

IMO, the differences in recoil between a 9mm and .40 are negligible in the XD series. Some of my friends' wives shot both one day at the range and while they noted more differences than the guys did, none of them had more difficulty controlling the .40 than the 9mm.

I have not yet held or shot an XD(M) although I have shot most of the other offerings excepting the .357 sig chamberings. From the videos and literature on the XD(M), if I were in the market for a .40, it would be on my very short list of pistols to check out. I appears thus far that SA has fixed the few troubling areas of the XD, most notably the trigger (although there are fairly inexpensive aftermarket solutions to the things people don't like about the original XD triggers).

I carry an XD45 usually and like it very much so I am biased in that regard. The only FTF or FTE I have ever had with any XD was ammo related. It is, IMO, an excellent, durable pistol which appears to have properly evolved with the XD(M) model.

Having never shot the cz, although I have held one, I cannot give a direct comparison.

ParaChem

imported post

When I went to get my Glock 22, the guy at one store tried to push me to the CZ P01.

I don't normally mind looking at any weapon, but he pushed my buttons by not showing me first what I wanted to look at. :cuss:

Finally left and bought at a different store. Where I looked at the CZ after I handlee the Glock first. Still bought the Glock.

Eeyore

imported post

Fawkes wrote:
Living in Va Beach, I haven't been able to find one, nor an sp-01, yet I recently found one about an hour away.
Have you checked at A&P Arms? I don't know about their location off Lynhaven, but the Hampton store has a few CZs to fondle, and an XDm too. Last time I was in Gander Mountain in Hanover, they had CZs as well.

Fawkes

imported post

Thanks for all of the replies & I have somewhat mixed good news. Bob's gun shop called Friday to say that the back-ordered P-01 had arrived so I dash'd down Saturday afternoon and, suffice it to say, it was love at first site. Once I got my greedy little hands around it, it felt phenomenal in my grip, and really gave the feeling that it was more of an extension of my arm. I told the man behind the counter to wrap it up and put a bow on her, and then it happened... When I gave my ID's he asked if my address was current to which I replied: "no, I moved over a year ago but I have the card DMV gave me." So, I run out to the car and it hits me, one of the reasons I'm exercising my right is due to a couple recent break-ins on my car and some stories from the neighbors. Don't get me wrong, the boy and I live in a nice place, but the wrong side of the proverbial tracks isn't far away and if they're brave enough to come at my car in front of my place, my house might be next & I'd rather be prepared. The odd thing is, I don't keep anything of value in my car and when they broke into it, they simply stole a beach parking pass... pretty annoying because they also disturbed the neatly placed trash I had so carefully stashed underneath the seats. In taking the pass, they also took a FUBAR'd xbox game that was in my glove box along with my current registration & that stupid address card from DMV. When I told my story to the gentlemen behind the counter, I honestly felt I'd done something wrong; hell, I started getting the shakes. Thankfully, they said it was no big deal and they allowed me to put it on layaway/hold (I'm not about to wait for another to come to town) so that after I make a quick stop on monday to the DMV to get a new license, reg./pay for the next years reg., I will be returning to the store to grab it before heading to work. I cannot wait until next weekend, and hopefully a nice dinner or two as a proud OC'r.

Thanks again for everyone's advice

-Fawkes

Fawkes

imported post

Thanks again, & I'm proud to introduce the newest member of the family:

cz75rr6cu8.jpg

edited for wrong photo... used to UNC & messed up

unevrno

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Congratulations and welcome to the ever-growing ranks of American gun owners!

May you have lots of range time and never have to draw your weapon to take or defend a life.

:cool: