• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Safety in the U district

Lax5

imported post

I was on my way home from a friend's going away BBQ tonight, in the U district, around 1200 am or so, and I noticed I was being followed. When I got home, I pulled into my neighbors drive way, and the car that was following blocked me in. I was a little confused, so I rolled down my window to ask the guy what the problem was. It was three middle aged men, saying that I clipped their car.

I told them that they had the wrong guy, and I honestly had no idea what the three guys were talking about. The driver insisted that it was me, and starting threating me, and what not.

I noticed that the driver was slurring his words pretty bad, and I asked him if he was drunk. I think he said something like, "It doesn't matter, I know how to get away with it."

The conversaition went on for another minute or two, and I was able to talk myself out of it I guess. I was being pretty submissive about the whole thing. Luckily they drove off, but I did have my pistol with me. I have seen a lot of drunk guys try to start random fights in the U district. It's pretty ridiculous.

Holo

imported post

I live down near Magnusson and i can't wait to get out of this area myself. Not the best place to raise kids in, and I'm supposedly in the "good area" of Seattle.

The college kids always have drinking parties near the public parking at my apartment complex so there are cups, spilled drinks, and idiots disrespecting your property by sitting on your car if you park there. Main problem is that the public parking area backs up to Magnusson Park so they can just run into there and run off if the cops are called.

Lake Stevens here I come!

David.Car

imported post

If the driver was obviously intoxicated I would have called the police as soon as he left, gave them his license plate and direction of travel and car make and color.

just_a_car

imported post

David.Car wrote:
If the driver was obviously intoxicated I would have called the police as soon as he left, gave them his license plate and direction of travel and car make and color.
+2.

But if you had a cellphone with you, you shouldn't have stopped at all once you were sure you were being followed. You make some circular turns to be 100% you're being followed (in other words, normal people wouldn't do it) and then call the cops and have them pull the guy over. Not your fight.

Morris

North of Seattlle, South of Canada, Washington, US
imported post

All good suggestions. A good vehicle description, driver description and an accurate plate # go a long way to getting the vehicle. Of course, that is if SPD isn't busting hump to another drunken fight somewhere in the district. The U District is busy on the weekends and summer.

Holo

imported post

A lot of good, logical advice to be sure.

Unfortunately, we only know how we're going to react when actually IN a given situation. In cases like this we can say that while he may not have taken the best path to the conclusion of his situation, He:

1.) Did not have to hurt himself or anyone else
2.) Didn't make OC look bad by his actions
3.) Defused a potential threat without it escalating.

I'd say good job when looking at the big picture.

jchen012

imported post

I used to live behind the Jack In The Box on 50th and ever since they opened the club/bar called Tommy's (on 45th) things have been getting worse and worse. I have heard gunshots and on several occasions and a buddy on mine who got off the bus on 45th stepped on several brass casings (this is in the morning so I guess it was leftover from the night before). The U-District is definately going downhill every day.