• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone else have problems with Aguila rounds?

Holo

imported post

Being relatively new to firearm ownership, I picked up a box of Aguila .22LR rounds from Butch's Gun Shop when I got my rifle. They were lead rounds with a coating of wax around the bullet itself.

These are, hands down, the most horrible rounds I've ever fired in the thousands of rounds I've put through my two guns so far. EVERY single time I got a fail to fire, or a jam, it was because of these rounds. I'm not sure if it was heat, or just the shitty quality of the rounds, but nearly 10% of the 500 rounds I went through either failed to fire or got caught in the slide on the eject.

That's not to mention that about 25% of the time the slide got back into place before the next round got into the chamber from the magazine. I figured out it was because the wax coating on the tips of the rounds was rubbing off into the magazine and causing the next round to get gummed up and rise slower than it was supposed to.

Maybe I got a bad batch though. Being new to this, I wanted to confirm the quality before I never bought them again. I've since went through about three thousand Federal rounds with only one eject issue (plastic banana clip for the rifle).

Short version: .22LR 10/22 Ruger Rifle and .22LR Ruger Mk3 had issues firing "Aguila" rounds made in Mexico. Are these known as shitty rounds and should I avoid them? Or did I get a bad batch?

Thanks guys!

Trigger Dr

imported post

You have made a pretty good assessment of the problem. The "wax" coating is a cheap lube, and is supposed to compensate for a dirty bnurning powder. they work ok in a bolt action or revolver, but are very dirty burning.

Bear 45/70

imported post

Some guns don't like certain brands of ammo. I use the Federal Value Packs because after years of trying what is cheap or on sale have found the the Federals work in all my 22s. LikeTrigger Dr says the wax is the cheap lube and some guns, mostly autos, don't like it.

Mainsail

imported post

The round isn’t the problem, it’s the application. The Aquilla rounds are usually used for target shooting, IOW, bolt action, and are the round of choice for tack-driving. Most autos need a high velocity round like Yellow Jacket or CCI MiniMags to cycle the action (especially a new action). The good thing is that they’re much cheaper than the Aquilla.

Bear 45/70

imported post

Mainsail wrote:

The round isn’t the problem, it’s the application. The Aquilla rounds are usually used for target shooting, IOW, bolt action, and are the round of choice for tack-driving. Most autos need a high velocity round like Yellow Jacket or CCI MiniMags to cycle the action (especially a new action). The good thing is that they’re much cheaper than the Aquilla.

I disagree, my Target 10/22 with a match chamber has worked flawlessly when kept clean from day one. You don't need high velocity ammo to make an autofunction. The Minimags cause feed jams because the bolt moves too fast.

Holo

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
Some guns don't like certain brands of ammo. I use the Federal Value Packs because after years of trying what is cheap or on sale have found the the Federals work in all my 22s. LikeTrigger Dr says the wax is the cheap lube and some guns, mostly autos, don't like it.
I gotta admit, I'm liking Federal more and more as I use it. Inexpensive and reliable.

Holo

imported post

I don't remember exactly, but it was a little less than the federal was and this federal box I have says...1260. It was over a thousand, I remember that much.