• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Waiting more than 14 days for your NH non-resident? READ THIS!

mp3mogul

imported post

Mvpel,

Is Penny Dean the GoNH's Attorney? She's asking me to file a lawsuit against the Permit Department for violating the law. I'm not sure what is going on but it doesn't appear that they can really do anything, just steer a person to the lawsuit.

I understand they are violating the law, but before I could get a court date, I would already have the permit...

I thought that she would intervene in some sort of way, but I guess this is not what they do.

I have contacted the GoNH phone and I'm awaiting them to return my call. I guess I make a complaint to them?

I also called the permit department back and I got "Rose Marie" again. I asked to speak to her supervisor without disclosing the nature of the call. She told me there was no supervisor and that she was the only one that worked in the department.

So, ah... the plot thickens... lol

mvpel

imported post

The problem is that there's no "penalty" provision in the law when they violate the 14-day deadline, the only recourse available for them to be compelled to comply with the law other than the process of a lawsuit by a person with standing (deadline violated for their license) in District Court.

mp3mogul

imported post

Yes,

It appears that they don't care either... lol! Well, I can say, that Penny Dean took a "proactive" approach for me. She contacted Rep. David Welch and he is going to look into this matter (he hasn't contacted me yet), but she thinks he will. I don't know if it will speed the process up or not, but perhaps it will make some people aware (maybe not).

Next week will be 30 days for me. I guess we'll see how long it really takes. I find it funny to report that "Rose Marie" told me to call "HER" back if I have not heard anything after 30 days.:D

PT111

imported post

My Non-resident NH permit took 7 weeks. I called several times and the ladies I talked to were very nice but it sounded like the were way understaffed. In fact one said they were down to half-staff and didn't expaect help anytime soon. I work for the state so I know how much BS you have to go through like this. The ligislature doesn't mind passing a law saying that you have only 14 days to do something but tough #$^* getting them to give you any help to do it with.

mvpel

imported post

What the Department of State Police should be doing, if they can't get the processing done within the 14 days, is issue the license, even if it's on a paper Form DSSP175 used for residents, and revoke the license if a disqualifying factor is discovered.

I'll plan to draw up a formal letter for approval by the GO-NH Board of Directors tomorrow evening to send to the State Police and other applicable parties.

mvpel

imported post

PT11, and other non-residents - what was the expiration date on your license? Was it four years from the date of issuance or was it in your birth month four years from now?

zakst1

imported post

Well after waiting 40 days from when my bank posted the check as cleared, I FINALLY received my Non-Res License today! It expires at the end of May, 2013. My birthday is in May. Finally the wait is over. Its all plastic too. I like the appearance better than Washington's CPL...

Mvpel, I notice that it says "NON RESIDENT Pistol/Revolver License". It doesn't mention "concealed" anywhere. Is it supposed to, or is it understood?

PT111

imported post

mvpel wrote:
PT11, and other non-residents - what was the expiration date on your license? Was it four years from the date of issuance or was it in your birth month four years from now?
Can't say because they are the same. It was issued on 9/08 and expires 9/30 four years later. My birthday is between the two dates.

mp3mogul

imported post

Well,

A bit of an update: I received a letter today from Earl M. Sweeney, Assistant Commissioner for the Dept of Safety.

He stated that Representative David Welch, a pro-gun legislator had contacted him regarding my application. He is going to "ATTEMPT" to get the staff at State Police to attempt to find my application and "Fast-Track-It" so that I can have it before the 1st of August.

I'm not getting my hopes up on this one, the letter didn't sound too reassuring.

mvpel

imported post

Earl Sweeney's definitely the guy to talk to about firearms issues in the Department of Safety. He's a real pro-gun stalwart.

However, it's all well and good for him to fast-track your application, but what about everyone else for whom the Department of State Police is violating the law?

mp3mogul

imported post

Mvpel,

I know, and I agree with you. I'm just sitting here basically. Penny Dean contacted the appropriate people, and this is a result of her contacting Rep. Welch. Someone also told me that what I'm doing could result in the state changing the law to a six month wait. I don't think that would happen, but I guess anything is possible.

I'll keep everyone informed, as I don't think that it's going to speed things up. The check I sent has yet to be presented.

mvpel

imported post

They have a very, very easy way to comply with the law.

Type up a DSSP175 tissue-paper license and send it out to you within the 14-day deadline, then complete whatever investigative work they do, and then send you the plastic card once they're done. If they find disqualifying information, which is unlikely given that you've sent them a current CCW from another state, then they can revoke the tissue-paper license under RSA 159:6-b.

Changing the law would have to get through a legislature where banning guns in the statehouse could only muster 19 votes in favor out of hundreds of legislators, even in a Democrat majority, so I'm not particularly persuaded that this spectre should dissuade anyone from asking that the State Police comply with the law they're charged with enforcing.

Jared

imported post

zakst1 wrote:
Well after waiting 40 days from when my bank posted the check as cleared, I FINALLY received my Non-Res License today! It expires at the end of May, 2013. My birthday is in May. Finally the wait is over. Its all plastic too. I like the appearance better than Washington's CPL...

Mvpel, I notice that it says "NON RESIDENT Pistol/Revolver License". It doesn't mention "concealed" anywhere. Is it supposed to, or is it understood?

It is required to carry a loaded firearm if it is concealed on the person or in a vehicle.

Unless you carry loaded in one of the two manners listed above, a pistol license is not needed.

Jared

imported post

PT111 wrote:
My Non-resident NH permit took 7 weeks. I called several times and the ladies I talked to were very nice but it sounded like the were way understaffed. In fact one said they were down to half-staff and didn't expaect help anytime soon. I work for the state so I know how much BS you have to go through like this. The ligislature doesn't mind passing a law saying that you have only 14 days to do something but tough #$^* getting them to give you any help to do it with.

Arizona issues CCW's in about 4 days. 14 days is plenty of time. All they have to do is run NICS and verify that the other states permit is active. It's not that hard.

Maybe the staffer in concord should spend a little less time on craigslist and myspace and process those licenses.

Also, NH law says they are valid for not less than 4 years. If they are so backlogged, they could start making the licenses valid for a longer period of time.

mp3mogul

imported post

Well I got some bad news today from "RoseMarie"

I have a GoNH lawyer, a Dept Of Safety Commissioner, and a state representative trying to get me my license before my trip on 1 august.

Well, RoseMarie spends what she states as "hours" looking today for my application, and guess what... they never received it.... yeah right, sure they didn't...

At this point, I no longer care, and will not re-apply, as the state of NH doesn't seem to care, they just like the money that it brings in.

Good luck to the many others that are waiting and hopefully you will get yours.

Here's the point that really chaps my butt. You wait weeks and weeks, and they won't even verify that they have received your permit. So after that, they search and can't find it, they tell you to mail it in again and start over... not gonna happen from me...

mvpel

imported post

Given that the check never cleared, at least that's somewhat plausible.

Apparently they moved the office from one place to another recently, but it's obvious that the move wasn't coordinated very well. Another friend is waiting on renewal of his explosives license, through the same office, and isn't particularly confident that he won't wind up in the same boat.

Luckily for the pro-gun movement there's people out there who won't let a garden-variety bureaucratic snafu stand in the way of vindicating their rights.