• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Salt Lake Tribune publishes editorial trash.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

http://www.sltrib.com/Opinion/ci_9710636

Second Amendment: U.S. Supreme Court should have left precedent alone

Tribune Editorial
Article Last Updated:
06/26/2008 06:31:31 PM MDT

The U.S. Supreme Court's holding Thursday that the Second Amendment enshrines in the Constitution an individual right to keep firearms in the home outside the context of a state militia was wrongly decided and turned decades of settled judicial precedent on its head. No fair reading of the plain language of the amendment or its history could have reached the conclusion the court announced.

That said, we believe, with most Americans, that a person should be able to keep a handgun or other firearm at home for self-defense. We agree that self-defense is a basic human right. We simply disagree with the 5-4 majority of the court that an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia can be found in the Second Amendment.

Justice John Paul Stevens got it right in his dissent. He wrote that the Second Amendment was adopted to protect the right of the people in the individual states to maintain a militia in response to concerns that the new Constitution gave Congress power to disarm the state militias and create a national standing army. That was viewed as an intolerable threat to the sovereignty of the states. But neither the text of the amendment nor the arguments of its proponents give any evidence that it was intended to limit any legislature's authority to regulate private civilian uses of firearms, Justice Stevens wrote. "Specifically, there is no indication that the Framers of the Amendment intended to enshrine the common-law right of self-defense in the Constitution."

Nevertheless, through some tortured analysis, the court's majority, led by Justice Antonin Scalia, saw it differently. They struck down as unconstitutional a Washington, D.C., law that, in essence, banned handgun ownership, even at home.

However, Justice Scalia, perhaps as the price of winning over the deciding vote, wrote that the newly minted individual right is not unlimited. "It is not a right to keep and carry any weapon whatsoever in any manner whatsoever and for whatever purpose," he wrote. (Utah Legislature, please note.) Concealed carry can be prohibited, guns can be banned from schools and government buildings, and firearms sales can be regulated, Scalia opined.

Unfortunately, Thursday's decision declares open season on all kinds of other gun laws, and the courts now will become the range officers on a firing line of lawsuits. It would have been better to leave Second Amendment precedent alone and let legislatures and city councils determine the best gun policies for their communities.

xmirage2kx

imported post

They just have their panties in a twist. This will change very little in the gun world outside of a few (now illegal)state bans.

Outsider

imported post

Basically they are saying "let us continue to rip the Second Amendment to shreds just like we have done to the First Amendment. They no longer matter!"

usSiR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

don't these dumb people get it? the good guy wants to defend himself the best possible way he can lawfully. The bad guys just want to do bad things the best possible way they can regardless of what any law says.

Banning guns does not fix a thing! :cuss:

oh yeah click on the link and give the article a thumbs down

http://www.sltrib.com/Opinion/ci_9710636

GeneticsDave

imported post

I just keep wondering... If I ignore the media, will it shrivel up and die? Sometimes I wonder if all our outrage and insightful posts on sites like the SL Tripe, just encourages them to post more anti garbage - just to get more readers and comments. After all, the thousands of "thumbs down" marks Walsh got only made her write another crap-loaded piece on guns. Perhaps if her first article sat dormant, completely stale, she would have just been ignored and we could all move on with our lives instead of wasting precious moments reading her liberal, whiny, ignorant opinions.

Just an idea...:idea:

alex1b

imported post

it was a dumb waste of space and paper. this "chick" needs to stop thinking about her feelings and do some research. i voted thumbs down for her as soon as the story was published.

41 Magnum

imported post

I love her little self appointed reversal of the SCOTUS decision- "the newly minted individual right"

Again- Uh..., OK. The dimwit can't even realize thattheSCOTUSjust clarified something that has been there the whole friggin' time.:banghead:

skyder

imported post

I am so glad that I dropped my subscription to the Trib earlier this month. We moved and I could have kept it going, but their overall leftist lib attitude and gun-unfriendly attitude got to be just too annoying.

I had been a subscriber for 39 years. Guess I don't need to read their stuff over breakfast after all.

scorpioajr

imported post

alex1b wrote:
it was a dumb waste of space and paper. this "chick" needs to stop thinking about her feelings and do some research. i voted thumbs down for her as soon as the story was published.
We should all call into the editor and get pissed off.:cuss: