• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Transporting a Firearm in Motor Vehicle

imported post

If you DON'T have a CCW permit can you transport a loaded weapon in your trunk as long as it is only accessible if you can only access it by getting out of the car. Or does it have to be unloaded at all times regardless of where its stored?

Pauly

imported post

Must be unloaded and seperated. If I am not mistaken there cannot be rounds in the magazines, either. They must also be emptied.

Legba

imported post

You can only transport a loaded firearm with the permit (a handgun anyway - there is an affirmative defense for "a weapon other than a handgun and other than a dangerous ordnance" if you have a good reason). The problem is that there are 2 laws that apply. The transportation law doesn't mention ammo at all and gives no guidance. The "carrying concealed weapon" law applies here. Guns and ammo cannot be mutually "at the ready" - undefined in the statute. The new law, which goes into effect in September, requires that magazines be unloaded, but the Miller vs. Ohiostandard that applies until then says that they can't be "so conveniently situated as to be immediately accessible."

Whatever the hell that means.

You're well advised to have the magazines empty, guns in the trunk, ammo in the cabin. And god help you if you drive a van... When in doubt, lock it up.

-ljp

Kungfu

imported post

If it is locked in a seperate compartment from the driver, even if the ammo and gun are together, is that alright?

Second question would actually be about vans. Sometimes to take larger targets to the range, I take the mini-van. I do put the guns in the 2nd row behind me, and then the ammo in the back behind the third row. I would hope that would be ok?

Man, you guys have me worried about the transport thing.

Does having a CCW change anything as far as transport or is that just your handgun?

Pauly

imported post

CCW makes transporting less of a pain. The law isn't very specific, yet. I would unload magazines and keep guns on one end of vehicle and ammunition on the other end. Better to exercise extreme over-exageration rather than push your luck.

snake021

imported post

Kungfu wrote:
If it is locked in a seperate compartment from the driver, even if the ammo and gun are together, is that alright?

Second question would actually be about vans. Sometimes to take larger targets to the range, I take the mini-van. I do put the guns in the 2nd row behind me, and then the ammo in the back behind the third row. I would hope that would be ok?

Does having a CCW change anything as far as transport or is that just your handgun?

What I did in my big truck(commercial vehicle) was mount a small tool box on the cat walk(the space behind the cab, on the frame). Because putting the mags in my truck tool box was still accessable if I lifted up my bunk. That way there was no way I could get to the ammo without getting out of the truck.

Maybe you van drivers could get one of the boxes that mount on the trailer hitch.

Jayheld90

imported post

snake021 wrote:
Kungfu wrote:

What I did in my big truck(commercial vehicle) was mount a small tool box on the cat walk(the space behind the cab, on the frame). Because putting the mags in my truck tool box was still accessable if I lifted up my bunk. That way there was no way I could get to the ammo without getting out of the truck.

Maybe you van drivers could get one of the boxes that mount on the trailer hitch.
good idea, snake.

Legba

imported post

The cop that nailed me would definitely bust you for transporting your guns and ammo in the mini-van as you described. He flat out told me that it was illegal to have guns and ammo in a van, period (I did have a small amount of loose ammo, though - that didn't help even though it wasn't near the gun). Get a lock box (and use the lock) and make sure ALL your ammo is in it, with empty magazines, and you should be OK.

-ljp

Kungfu

imported post

Perhaps the solution in a mini-van is to keep it in the back, as far as possible from the guns and take the ammo in .50 cal ammo cans (as I gererally do) and zip tie them, or I guess a couple of locks would be worth it.

In a court case, I bet I could demonstrate how I could get to the ammo in the trunk of a car faster than I could in a van...simply by pulling the backseat access to the trunk part down and getting back there.....I'm just saying......

sounds like the cop that gave you heck could have given a warning but instead decided to be a complete prick.