• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry in Northern California Summer 2008

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

Redding- Incorporated City Limits

Went to a branch of my bank, stood in line breifly and made a withdrawl. The teller recognized me and did not ask for ID. There were a handful of patrons.

Drove to the office supply store and shopped for copy paper, post-its, mailing tubes, padded envelopes, and pens. I asked directions from one store employee and cashed out with another. Like the bank, there were a few patrons.

Drove to the 24 hour warehouse supermarket and it was abuzz of activity. Parked in the center of the parking lot, collected a basket and entered. Spent over an hour in the maze of groceries and rattling baskets. Went to check out and the cashier asked;

What do you do?

I answer with my non-law enforcement occupation, and the disconnect between what I do and the exposed firearm instigated another question;

Why do you carry a gun?

I did not answer this question-I dont have to explain myself andI'm certain that my reasons why werent sufficient to satisfy this line of questioning,because she had admitted her fear of guns... I explained thatnot being licensed to conceal, my only lawful means to carry in self defense was to carry exposed. A man in line behind me spoke saying he was wondering about that...I breifly stated that there are limitations on how and where a firearm can be carried- that he could get more information on opencarry.org - and as I was bagging my groceries he was sure to get the website again. I would have given him a card, but I havent had any printed up recently.

Other than the cashier at the supermarket, there were no negative comments, bug-eyed looks, no stampede of hundreds of shoppers fleeing a armed subject, andno police interaction.

jbird33

imported post

Live in Redding? Sounds to me like maybe you were in WinCo, haha.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

For lunch I had a double-double with french fries and a coke with about 80+ denizens of the Redding area. There appeared to be some out of Staters as well. The dining room was packed nearly to capacity.

While awaiting my order I overheard a single word that indicated that they were talking about me. That word was 'concealed'. I did not hear the context of the comments and they apparently did not possess the courage to ask me about my state of being armed. There were no other comments made within earshot.

After finishing lunch, I went to the electronics store next door down and shopped for some computer goodies. They didnt have what I was looking for, and concluded my excursion.

No police contact, no stampede, no inquiries.

For the most part, people minded their own business.

4armed Architect

imported post

ConditionThree wrote:

For lunch I had a double-double with french fries and a coke ...

No police contact, no stampede, no inquiries.

For the most part, people minded their own business.
Precisely as it should be.

Excellent!