• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why are you happy with the Heller vs DC ruling?

Thors_Mitersaw

imported post

MetalChris wrote:
I'm only happy because of articles like this. I love watching the antis squirm.

Arg! the ignorance in the readers comments is astounding and the hypocrisy sickening:

'...before more rights and peoples safety are violated ' - and stripping people of the right to defend themselves is GOOD for their safety and protects their constituionally recognized rights?

'the far right' - excuse me? Way to stereotype this gun owner and all others

'handguns cause violence' - haha. will the gun hating hoplophobes ever realize that a gun is incapable of causing a damn thing? Humans are actors and moral agents with a will of their own and the rational ability to analyze and act accordingly... not piles of metal or plastic

I really wanted to comment but apparntly commenting is closed :-/

Jack Hollowpoint

imported post

http://www.scotusblog.com/wp/?s=07-290

More Second Amendment cases Saturday, June 28th, 2008 8:20 am | Lyle Denniston The National Rifle Association on Friday began its courthouse campaign to extend the Second Amendment in order to restrict gun control laws in San Francisco, Chicago and three Chicago suburbs. As noted in a press release, the Association sought in all five lawsuits to have the Second Amendment incorporated into the Fourteenth Amendment, so that it would apply other than to the federal government. The lawsuits followed by one day the Supreme Court’s ruling in District of Columbia v. Heller (07-290), declaring an individual right to have a gun in a home for self-defense.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gauging Interest In The Guns Case Friday, June 27th, 2008 3:04 pm | Jason Harrow Yesterday spawned a level of intense online interest in a Supreme Court decision like we at SCOTUSblog have never seen before. We thought we’d let you know a few of our statistics just to give you an idea of how significant this decision was.
Hits. In five and a half years, we’ve never had more than 100,000 hits on SCOTUSblog. Yesterday, though, we had our first 100,000 hit day. And then our first 200,000 hit and 300,000 hit day. By the end of the day, we had over 370,000 hits, and 240,000 nominally “unique” visitors (though, as Tom mentioned, that’s an imperfect count because it counts repeatedly the many people whose computers don’t accept cookies). We’re still amazed that our servers held up.

The ENTIRE SCOTUS DECISION, verbatum, official transcript, is available here:

http://www.scotusblog.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/07-2901.pdf

157 pages. It's absorbing reading, complex, incisive. I would suggest READING the full opinion, the notes, citations, etc. and then move on to discussion forums such as this one.

As noted above, Heller opens the doors to a flood of litigation. NRA has begun the process the day after the decision. Heller is the tipping point that establishes a legal foundation for further litigation.