• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Army's OC thread

MudCamper

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Army wrote:
"Where can I learn more about guns?"
"Ma'am, four doors up the street from you is a gun store. They can show you what you want to know"
"I never knew that place was a gun store, how funny. Maybe I'll go up there at lunch"
"Just tell them Dave sent you!"
That is freakin great!

sjalterego

imported post

Army wrote:
fresno-opencarry-now wrote:
great thread and thank you for bringing up the school zones. I really need to look into that because we have a million schools where I live. Not trying to side track but do private and religious schools count as well OR just public? If too off topic then just let me know :D

I am getting fascinated with all of these open carry patriots everywhere in California. Keep it up Army and great thread.
The law reads K-12, and does not differentiate between public or private. Most of my downtown is off limits to OC, as it falls into the zone of a private Catholic K-12.

Google Earth is a great help, as it will not only find schools in your area, but let you measure distance in feet too.
How do you use Google Earth to find schools. I've used it to make maps and measure distances for various things but I don't know how to use it to find schools.

Army

imported post

In the sidebar,the bottom "layers" section has a subsection "Places of Interest". In there will be the "Schools" check-box. On every map, a yellow bubble will appear over every known and reported school.

Hopefully, the description will better inform you as to what exactly the school is. Many will NOT be K-12, but "beauty schools" and such.

tenpercentfirearms

imported post

I was just saying over at calguns.net that I had no idea Army was open carrying when he came into my shop. I just found out about OC between now and then when it dawned on me that was what he was doing. I had been communicating with him by e-mail and had met him once before so when he strolled into the shop with a gun on his hip, I didn't think about it much. I thought it was odd, but hey, he is in the Army after all. :lol:

Thanks for blogging your experiences. I found it a good read.

And I don't mind talking shotguns!

Army

imported post

Nice day of OC today.

First went to Bed Bath and Beyond for a new trashcan, electric razor blades....and a box of Milk Duds (I luuuvs the Milk Duds!). 20 minutes of wandering the aisles looking at all the cool kitchen gadgets. No panic, no screaming, no reaction from all the domesticated types there.

Scooted downtown to Wells Fargo, to pull some cash from the ATM, and smiled and waved at that camera too.

Headed to Ralphs for groceries. Spent about 45 minutes there, filling the cart. At the register, a fella mentioned that "Was I sure I could get that loaded quick enough?" I told him that all those years doing Action Pistol came in mighty handy for reloading, at which he got a good chuckle.

Meandered home to get the house and dinner ready for the wife (being on leave these last couple of months, has me doing SOMETHING around here!).

Once again, no worries, no frets, no panic in the street, no calls to the SLOPD.

prcE6

imported post

Been on leave for the last couple of MONTHS?? You sure racked up some time over there!

Army

imported post

I am a Federal Technician, which means I do Army full time....without the benefits of being full time Army. To make combat tours easier to take, we techs are allowed more leave time for every month after the 15th month in-country. I have 28 months in the ITO, which garnered me 32 extra days of paid military leave. Then there is "Presidential Leave", which is 5 days of complimentary.

Along with my regular military leave, it all added up to 74 days.

Got a great big full mustache now.....:)

Unfortunately, I return to the green machine in less than two weeks. Shaved head and cheezy mustache days once again.

prcE6

imported post

Yeah, I was wondering about the 'stache... Thought maybe you had just gotten out or something.

That's still some kick @$$ time off. I remember being happy as a pig in poop to get a full 30 days during a PCS.

Anyways, didn't mean to drift OT.

Back to your regular scheduled OC thread... Oh yeah, and what Cato said.

edited for clarity

Army

imported post

In case you are wondering, I have decided to not OC until further notice.

I may not agree with the reasons many here advocate as legislative horsepower, but I will abide by their thoughts on the matter.

Army

imported post

OK, it's September.........and I'm carrying again.

UOC'ed for the last 3 days, going about my normal activities (I'm on "Presidential Leave" for a while, which gives me time to be about town). Went to Ralphs 2 days in a row, with no problems or looks.

Made it to my fav sandwich shop a couple of times, and stayed there to eat lunch. I usually get it to go, but my buddy/owner was there, so I didn't have any worries about sitting for 1/2 an hour munching down and reading the paper.

Walked the street downtown, on the "other" street outside the 1000' zone, to discover my favorite hobby store has gone under (after 65 years of being a city staple), and has been replaced by a surf shop....granted, it's also my favorite surf shop, but that's besides the point. Looked around at the new sticks, checked out the other beach gear and clothing, then wandered back to my truck. Rolled home with no problems.

Walked out my drive to my mailbox, and caught the eye of my rotten SOB neighbor across the street. Sincerely hoped he would make the call, but to no avail. With any luck, I scared the hell out of him (yeah, I do not like the guy).

Not having any trouble carrying in San Luis Obispo.