• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Army's OC thread

Army

imported post

CA_Libertarian rightly pointed out that too many folks, including me, were hi-jacking his OC carry thread and taking it off its original course.

This thread is mine, and comments are especially welcome :)

Army

imported post

Posted: 7 June 2008 Saturday 01:01

OC'd first time today, all day, in San Luis Obispo. Springfield in a Galco thumbreak, empty well and no ammo, this time, on person.

Initially went to the range (slosa.org), but remembered all my ammo, and my hearing protection was sitting on the kitchen counter at home....so drove back (15mins both ways). Noticed my tank was low, and stopped at the Arco for the cheapest (???) gas in town. The lady behind me got a little bug-eyed, but said and did nothing. The clerk didn't seem to notice my weapon when I paid for a couple of sodas.

On to the range (S&W Steel Challenge is on-going this weekend, lots of famous shooters including Jerry Miculek) where I spent a few hours talking to others, and killing a few bits of paper. Then my daughter calls..

Seems while getting her oil changed, her car decided to crap its ignition coil. So, off to town to pick her up...and still holstered. Took her to work, then stopped at a very busy Circle K for another soda and Slim Jims. Noticed "pointing" from a couple of skateboarder punks, but no other action or comments from anyone. Then returned to the range (I'm an RSO there, so naturally it's a preferred hang out).

Picked up the daughter from her work, and returned to the oil change place as they had fixed her car by then. Paid for the work, and asked for all the parts they removed. They tried some cock&bull story about how the coil core is recycled and they already sent it in...uh huh...so I asked for any paperwork that would show and prove this. Then they noticed the .45. Suddenly, they knew where the part was, and they would go get it right now. Ten minutes of waiting and talking with my kid about her job, and the wayward part was in my hand, with profuse apologies from the "manager" of the shop. Hmmmmmmmmm....

Sent the kid on her way, and proceeded to Albertsons to pick up some veggies and milk for dinner, with no looks or questions at all in the store or parking lot.

98% uneventful day, except for being noticed at the oil shop (and some good natured teasing from my buddy Jeff at the range). I will do this again, but need to map out all the schools in SLO to find the 1000' margins.

Army

imported post

Posted: 18 June 2008 Wednesday 17:45

Carried all day today, as I traveled to Ten Percent Firearms in Taft. 2 hour drive one way.

Stopped first at the alteration shop to get shorter sleeves on a new jacket. Lady was friendly, talkative, never looked at the gun after the first glance, never questioned it. Got fitted, gave her my name, and left.

Stopped at the gas station to top off. The clerk quickly spotted the gun and asked if I was a cop.
"No"
"Why the gun?"
"It is legal in California to carry this way"
".......cool!"
Paid for a couple of sodas and jerky, and I hit the road.

Got to Cayuma (wide spot in the road), and stopped to exchange one warm soda for a cold one. The two teens running the store stared hard, but made no comments, and I was back on my way.

Made it to 10% Firearms, picked up my two new OLLs, and hung out for a while talking to Wes and Becky. Will likely buy a Spikes Tactical dedicated .22lr upper for cheap shooting.....don't need it, but hey, he's a good salesman!

Left 10%, and went to a local bank for some ATM cash. Finished the transaction, then waved and smiled at the camera. Tummy grumbled, so swung into McDonald's (usually not a choice for me, due to corporate McD's anti-gun policies...but couldn't pass up the irony). Briefly waited in line, and noticed the crew looking at me and pointing, and I thought this was it, cops will decend in moments. At the counter, gave my order, paid for it, went to fill my cup. When I returned to the counter, one lady asked;
"Are you a bounty hunter?"
"No"
"Do you hunt people down?"
"No"
"Can I hire you anyway?"
"Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh.........thank you Ma'am, have a great day!"
Got back on the road, and at the first stop light, a cop pulls up to the cross street. Ahhhhh crap.

Nope, just chance. Continued to the highway and home. Got back to SLO, and stopped at Tire Pro to ask how much to lower my truck, the guys there did not seem to care I had a gun on.

Came home to find my new .32 Pennsylvania rifle was delivered that morning! All in all, a very good day of OC

Army

imported post

Posted: 27 June 2008 Friday 02:46

Briefly OC'd today, as I picked my jacket from the tailor. Nice lady looked once and asked if "I was a cop" (she paid hardly any attention to it when I dropped off the jacket last week).
"No"
"Why do you have a gun?"
"California law allows any law abiding citizen to do so legally"
"Is it loaded?"
"No Ma'am. The law does not allow me to carry it loaded and ready"
"Are those the bullets?"(pointing to the magazines on my belt)
"Yes Ma'am"
"But isn't carrying a gun dangerous?"
"Only for anyone with evil intent, Ma'am. I'm not looking for trouble, and I have no intention to cause any. However, I am ready to defend myself and others if trouble shows itself"
"I don't know if I could do that"
"You have every legal right to have a gun here in your store, and the law allows you to carry it fully loaded while in your business. Being alone here, that would not be a bad idea anyway"
"Where can I learn more about guns?"
"Ma'am, four doors up the street from you is a gun store. They can show you what you want to know"
"I never knew that place was a gun store, how funny. Maybe I'll go up there at lunch"
"Just tell them Dave sent you!"

Paid her for her work, and went across the street to the sandwich shop for lunch. The owner is a former board member of our club, so this wasn't too much of a stretch. Had to put the .45 in its box, as my drive home takes me across two school zones.

Great conversation with the seamstress, and I hope I was able to put a glimmer of light in her mind.

Army

imported post

Carried again today to the grocery store...but not Albertsons. After double checking and re-measuring 1000' school zones on Google Earth, it barely falls into one. Now I go to Ralphs which is only a little farther down the road (better prices too).

Cruised to the downtown area, keeping to the "other" main street, as a large portion of the "main" street also falls into a school zone, to pick up some leather from the hobby/crafts store. I am very much into blackpowder shooting, Mountain man and Long hunter living, and needed some natural tanned leather for another knife sheath. No problems at all, despite their being a Police substation across the street from the craft store.

Walked next door to the Christian/Bible store to purchase a nice tooled soft leather book cover. The very nice girl at the counter asked 'why the gun?'

"Really? Can I carry a gun?"
"If you are at least 21 years old, have no felony record, and comply with the state carry laws, then yes you can. In fact, if your boss allows, you can carry it loaded here in the store"
"Yours isn't loaded?"
"No. That's a large part of the law. I do have ammo at the ready though, see?"
"That's so cool!"

At this point, her boss, another nice lady, came to ask about my gun. The girl told her exactly what I said, then asked if she could carry her gun at work (!). The nice boss lady, who turned out to be the owner, said...I'll think about it.

Said my thanks, and went on my way. Went again to the same gas station to fill up for the week. No looks or questions here. At the gas station, I returned the .45 and ammo to the lock-box since I will pass through three school zones as I go home.

***Oh, I have upgraded to the Blackhawk "Serpa" holster, just like the one I had in Iraq. Very secure, lightweight, and instantly releases. Adjustable to just about any angle for comfort and presentation. Bought from the NRA on-line store***

usSiR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

:celebrate

nice encounters... I like the McDonald's one :lol:

IMO, I would educate the people that ask if they can do it just a bit more maybe, especially about 1000' school zone law. Just an idea, it seems you have got some interest in some people and would be unfortunate for one of them to just think they can do it and be found in the school zone.

Perhaps maybe one of you in CA have a gun law pamphlet made up?Like the UT one->here<-, or maybe one of you can make one up?

Keep up the OC'n and positive additude ;)

Army

imported post

usSiR wrote:
:celebrate

nice encounters... I like the McDonald's one :lol:

IMO, I would educate the people that ask if they can do it just a bit more maybe, especially about 1000' school zone law. Just an idea, it seems you have got some interest in some people and would be unfortunate for one of them to just think they can do it and be found in the school zone.
I do mention there is a lot of good information here on OC.com, and also CalGuns. I forgot to mention that I talked about the school zone problem to the Bible store ladies.

I keep a copy of CA_Libertarian's pamphlet in my truck, in the shooting box, and in my wallet.

Decoligny

imported post

Army wrote:
"Really? Can I carry a gun?"
"If you are at least 18 years old, have no felony record, and comply with the state carry laws, then yes you can. In fact, if your boss allows, you can carry it loaded here in the store"
"Yours isn't loaded?"
"No. That's a large part of the law. I do have ammo at the ready though, see?"
"That's so cool!"

Quick correction. 21 is to purchase a gun. If you are 18, you can carry either a gun loaned from a friend, or a gun that was gifted to you.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Army wrote:
I keep a copy of CA_Libertarian's pamphlet in my truck, in the shooting box, and in my wallet.
Just a quick correction:

You must be thinking of the CA Open Carry Flyer or the Tri-fold pamphlet, neither of which did I produce.

Just want to give credit where credit is due: thank you Mudcamper & Decoligny for putting the information together. Also mad props to Cato & ConditionThree for donating a ton of their time and mental capacity to the research that made those possible.

(Edited to fix coding for URL)

Army

imported post

Wow, that was quite a "faux pas". I apologize for not giving credit where credit is due.

After reading CA_L's lengthy thread a number of times, I guess I just got stuck on his name!

Yes, those four members deserve mucho kudos for their time and efforts to get out the word about OC in California.

OK, from now on, more personal research, and less "quick to type".:celebrate

Army

imported post

Carried again today. To return to work as a paid RSO at the SLOSA.org range (took a leave of absence for this last Iraq tour), I needed to have a hearing and blood lead level test done. Entered the medical office to no fanfare, asked the lady for the admittance forms to fill out, then sat for 35 minutes with a Filipino family waiting to be seen. Technician finally called me, took me to the exam room for vitals, then upstairs for the hearing test. Only when I emerged from the sound booth did he notice the gun, and asked if I "was a cop".
"No."
"Are you licensed to carry that?"
" No."
"Why do you have it then?"
"It is legal in California to openly carry and unloaded firearm"
"Well, we prefer you do not do it next time you come here."
"OK."

Nice lady...with a Son in Afghanistan...took my blood, than also asked about the gun.
"Are you a cop?"
"No"
"Why the gun?"
"Really?"
She had finished with me, and after a final signature, I went to my truck and returned with a copy of the Cal Carry Flyer to give to her. She seemed genuinely interested in the laws.

Left there to take a wide berth around the main downtown street, as it falls in a school zone, to get to my favorite sandwich shop. The owner was there, and he wanted to know why I wasn't packing one of my AR-15's instead....I told him they made too large a bulge in my pocket :)

Took the long way home to avoid the school zones, but stopped at a liquor store owned by a fairly irate Pakistani. While paying for my Dr Pepper, he asked what brand of .45 it was, as he prefferred Kimbers. Had a nice conversation about guns and .45's in particular. Turns out he's not so irate after all, just usually pissed at the stupid college kids he regularly deals with. He left Pakistan after the Soviets invaded Afghanistan, because he knew he would get drawn into that war as a Mujihadeen. Fled to the USA, got naturalized, got a bank loan, and bought the store.

Yeah, I was there for about 2 hours, but he bought me a burger from his deli when he found out I came home from Iraq a month ago. He glanced around at one point, checking for anyone in the store, then brought out his Kimber Pro Carry he keeps at the register, loaded with Corbon 168's. Very nice.

Shook hands, and he said I was welcome armed in his store anytime.

Continued home with no more stops.

fresno-opencarry-now

imported post

great thread and thank you for bringing up the school zones. I really need to look into that because we have a million schools where I live. Not trying to side track but do private and religious schools count as well OR just public? If too off topic then just let me know :D

I am getting fascinated with all of these open carry patriots everywhere in California. Keep it up Army and great thread.

Army

imported post

fresno-opencarry-now wrote:
great thread and thank you for bringing up the school zones. I really need to look into that because we have a million schools where I live. Not trying to side track but do private and religious schools count as well OR just public? If too off topic then just let me know :D

I am getting fascinated with all of these open carry patriots everywhere in California. Keep it up Army and great thread.
The law reads K-12, and does not differentiate between public or private. Most of my downtown is off limits to OC, as it falls into the zone of a private Catholic K-12.

Google Earth is a great help, as it will not only find schools in your area, but let you measure distance in feet too.

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Regardless of my loss of credability. . :D I too find this one interesting.

I too was looking at 10% and taking a trip there. From what I recall they carry the CA legal AR-15. Wanted to take a look. Once I really start going out I too will begin my thread.

Army

imported post

Another uneventful day of OC. Went to the sandwich shop on the other side of town, and waited in line for at least ten minutes. Mothers, children, babies, college kids, two Soldiers from the local base....nobody seemed to care. I don't like fountain drinks, so I rolled to a nearby gas station to buy a couple sodas (I was picking up lunch for a buddy too). Again, seemingly no cares I had a weapon.

Went to the range to see my bud, ate lunch, then remembered I had to get to the bank...

I had no intention today to carry to the bank, but I told myself 'in for a penny, in for a pound', took a deep breath and walked through the door to.....................nothing.

The guard looked, stared, scrunched his face, looked around, and remained where he was. The teller saw me in line, got a little bug eyed, and glanced to the guard. I asked to transfer funds to my Dads account, filled out the slip, showed my Army ID with my drivers license, finished the transaction, and left the building. I sat in my truck for a few more minutes, waiting for the inevitable sirens ( I didn't want to clog traffic for a Code 3 stop in the streets). But......once again, nothing. The guard came out and I waved goodbye as he waved back, smiling. Traveled the long way to avoid the school zones on my way home.

I would have carried as my wife and I went to dinner, but she nixed that plan; "I'm not going to town just to bail you out of jail!"

Gotta love her :)

Army

imported post

I've carried a few times since my last entry....with no incidents.

I've been going to a different sandwich shop, closer to the university, in order to be around people that wouldn't be familiar with firearms. Still, no-one seems to care or notice.

Getting gas a various stations around town, also helps me gauge reaction and acceptance. But again, no-one seems to notice or care much.

I am becoming very comfortable with OC, as the weapon is now simply another bit of clothing.

My wife has yet to fully accept my carry, but she has never voiced any displeasure either. She does prefer that I keep it cased while we are in her Jeep, but says nothing when we are in my Ranger. I do believe she will come around to better accept daily personal protection with a firearm.