Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camp Rifle

Post imported post

I've been thinking about gettinga camp rifle...something that can fold or be easily disassembled and reassembled and fit in a backpack like this.

The Marlin Papooselooks pretty attractive, as does the Kel-Tec Sub 2000, and SU-16.

Thoughts?

Post imported post

I'll vote Kel-Tec Sub-2000.

Got one in .40S&W that takes Glock mags. Works well, and eats Wolf ammo without any failures so far.

Also nice that it stows in a very discreet fashion. Hell, it'll fit in a briefcase with room for a laptop plus two extra mags.

Post imported post

Thanks for the input, Imperialism

Post imported post

Anybody else have experience with some kind of camp rifle/carbine?

Post imported post

I have a Kel-Tec Sub in .40 S&W.

The model I have accepts Glock magazines. I use 15 round mags with a two round extension. There are other models that accept S&W or Beretta magazines. That's an advantage if you want to have a companion pistol and magazine interchangability.

The Sub folds down quite nicely and is easy to clean and maintain. There are a number of inexpensive aftermarket accessories available for it. I have a buffer spring tube cover that helps a little with cheek weld and I installed a buffer that definatly dampens down the recoil. One caveat with that is the bolt hold open notch then needs to be modified; easy to do with a dremel tool. I found the Kel-Tec sling to be fairly useless except for one time when I used it in a tactical match.

I opened the rear peep sight a little as my eyes are getting older. I'm not real thrilled with the plastic blade front sight. That will soon be changed for an aftermarket AR-15/M-16 style post sight.

It is accurate enough at carbine ranges and I have never had any problems, FTE or FTF, with any ammo I have used. The manufacturer warns against using aluminum cased ammo.

Although I have never needed it I have heard Kel-Tec's customer service and warranty policy is outstanding. I have had it now for about 2 years and I am glad I bought it.

DocV

Post imported post

And yes, I've been looking for a picture of a campy-looking rifle to post as a joke, but alas cannot find one.

Post imported post

What about a Ruger Mini-14? I've seen the ones with the aftermarket stocks with a folding stock. They're pretty "compact" and probably more reliable then the Keltec options and a more powerful round than the .22 in the Papoose.

What's your intended use of the camp rifle? Self defense? Plinking? Game hunting?

Henry also has the a survival rifle: http://www.henryrepeating.com/h002_survival.cfmbut I've heard the accuracy and reliability can be so-so.

Post imported post

I have both a kel tec SU-16 and a Ruger Mini 14. The KelTec is lighter, cheaper and more accurate. Spare magazines (AR-15 Mags) are cheap at gun shows. The 2x10 round magazines in the butt stock is also a plus. Approx 2K rounds w/o a misfire!

Mini 14 is a great gun that will last for decades, though the accuracy of mine is somewhat disappointing. Any gun used by Mr. T is O.K. in my book.
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Post imported post

Browning BLR Takedown

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

Post imported post

VAopencarry wrote:
    Browning BLR Takedown
    :shock:

I think I might have to get me one of those... in .30-06...

How's the accuracy?

Post imported post

eyesopened wrote:
    What about a Ruger Mini-14? I've seen the ones with the aftermarket stocks with a folding stock. They're pretty "compact" and probably more reliable then the Keltec options and a more powerful round than the .22 in the Papoose.

What's your intended use of the camp rifle? Self defense? Plinking? Game hunting?

Henry also has the a survival rifle: http://www.henryrepeating.com/h002_survival.cfmbut I've heard the accuracy and reliability can be so-so.
    The main purpose is to throw it in my "oh-sh!t" bag, along with a few rounds. I want to have something that I could hunt small game with, and possibly use for self-defense. I'm leaning towards the SUB at the moment, because the .22 is largely insufficient for SD.

State Researcher

Post imported post

I have a Sub2000 in 9mm and have been very pleased with it. I've never had a problem with it and it's plenty accurate for SD out to 100+ yds.....and, I can even take a rabbit at 50 yds if I'm in "survival mode"

Post imported post

An AK is not a bad choice either IMO, mine goes camping as does my MKII Ruger 22/45. Small game and larger game can be taken if need be, in an SHTF situation.

Post imported post

curtm1911 wrote:
    An AK is not a bad choice either IMO, mine goes camping as does my MKII Ruger 22/45. Small game and larger game can be taken if need be, in an SHTF situation.
    True, and with a folding stock it would probably be short enough to fit in my bag. I didn't even think of that!

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Post imported post

MetalChris wrote:
    curtm1911 wrote:
    True, and with a folding stock it would probably be short enough to fit in my bag. I didn't even think of that!
    Well, what did you decide, or is it too early to tell us yet, my vote is the AK, for several reasons, I'll let ya'll figger them out................

Post imported post

curtm1911 wrote:
    MetalChris wrote:
    curtm1911 wrote:
    Well, what did you decide, or is it too early to tell us yet, my vote is the AK, for several reasons, I'll let ya'll figger them out................

I'll probably go with a top-folding AK...haven't made up my mind about the exact model though...I still have about 4 months of saving to do.

Post imported post

Thundar wrote:
    Mini 14 is a great gun that will last for decades, though the accuracy of mine is somewhat disappointing. Any gun used by Mr. T is O.K. in my book.
    Actually, the A Team used AC556's

Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

Of your original weapons you asked about I wouldgo with a SU-16, but IMHO I would rather choose an AK47 pistol or PLR-16.

Post imported post

1 vote for the SU-16. I have one and love it. I have carried it on backpacking trips as well. That was one reason I purchased it.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar

Post imported post

I have an SU-16C and M6 Scout, both good pack/camp rifles IMHO.

Banned

Post imported post

mini14 with folding stock

Post imported post

I would go with the SU-16 over a Mini-14. The mini-14 is expensive for what it is and I never hear good things about it's accuracy either. The SU-16 is a good rifle that is lightweight and compact if you get the one with a folding stock. The one with the full size stock offers the advantage of carrying two magazines in the stock. That is a nice feature IMO because you don't have to worry about them flopping around if all you bring is the rifle and ammo.

The SU-16 will be reliable and solid as well as reasonably accurate. The forend quickly converts into a bipod, another handy feature. I think it's a good all around rifle that is rugged and you wouldn't mind getting a little bit dirty or torn up because it's a minimalist, function over form rifle. The Mini-14, while inaccurate from everything I've heard, is a better looking and more expensive rifle that I would be more concerned about scraping up or getting filthy. The SU-16 is gas piston operated, which is a plus compared to the AR platform. The SU-16 uses an AR bolt assembly which is reliable. The SU-16 comes with a scope rail already on it too.

Overall you just get a lot for your money with the Kel-Tec and they aren't crap. They aren't the best lookers but they are reliable and solid IMO. My PLR-16 worked flawlessly and never once malfunctioned. It was harder to shoot accurately though because it's a handgun and you need the forend grip for it which costs extra. The SU-16 will have everything you need already on it and that's what you should go with.

Post imported post

My camping gun is a suppressed SBR (LMT 10" AR) loaded with Black Hills Mk262 Mod 1.

armorer & notary public for VA Arms Co FFL/SOT
    https://www.facebook.com/virginiaarmscompany

State Researcher

Post imported post

gotm4 wrote:
    My camping gun is a suppressed SBR (LMT 10" AR) loaded with Black Hills Mk262 Mod 1.

Yeah, I was gonna pick one of those up, but then the bank said something aboutanunsecured loan, not enough income...I really wasn't paying attention.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast