• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Camp Rifle

imperialism2024

imported post

I'll vote Kel-Tec Sub-2000.

Got one in .40S&W that takes Glock mags. Works well, and eats Wolf ammo without any failures so far.

Also nice that it stows in a very discreet fashion. Hell, it'll fit in a briefcase with room for a laptop plus two extra mags.

DocV

imported post

I have a Kel-Tec Sub in .40 S&W.

The model I have accepts Glock magazines. I use 15 round mags with a two round extension. There are other models that accept S&W or Beretta magazines. That's an advantage if you want to have a companion pistol and magazine interchangability.

The Sub folds down quite nicely and is easy to clean and maintain. There are a number of inexpensive aftermarket accessories available for it. I have a buffer spring tube cover that helps a little with cheek weld and I installed a buffer that definatly dampens down the recoil. One caveat with that is the bolt hold open notch then needs to be modified; easy to do with a dremel tool. I found the Kel-Tec sling to be fairly useless except for one time when I used it in a tactical match.

I opened the rear peep sight a little as my eyes are getting older. I'm not real thrilled with the plastic blade front sight. That will soon be changed for an aftermarket AR-15/M-16 style post sight.

It is accurate enough at carbine ranges and I have never had any problems, FTE or FTF, with any ammo I have used. The manufacturer warns against using aluminum cased ammo.

Although I have never needed it I have heard Kel-Tec's customer service and warranty policy is outstanding. I have had it now for about 2 years and I am glad I bought it.

DocV

eyesopened

imported post

What about a Ruger Mini-14? I've seen the ones with the aftermarket stocks with a folding stock. They're pretty "compact" and probably more reliable then the Keltec options and a more powerful round than the .22 in the Papoose.

What's your intended use of the camp rifle? Self defense? Plinking? Game hunting?

Henry also has the a survival rifle: http://www.henryrepeating.com/h002_survival.cfmbut I've heard the accuracy and reliability can be so-so.

Thundar

imported post

I have both a kel tec SU-16 and a Ruger Mini 14. The KelTec is lighter, cheaper and more accurate. Spare magazines (AR-15 Mags) are cheap at gun shows. The 2x10 round magazines in the butt stock is also a plus. Approx 2K rounds w/o a misfire!

Mini 14 is a great gun that will last for decades, though the accuracy of mine is somewhat disappointing. Any gun used by Mr. T is O.K. in my book.

MetalChris

imported post

eyesopened wrote:
What about a Ruger Mini-14? I've seen the ones with the aftermarket stocks with a folding stock. They're pretty "compact" and probably more reliable then the Keltec options and a more powerful round than the .22 in the Papoose.

What's your intended use of the camp rifle? Self defense? Plinking? Game hunting?

Henry also has the a survival rifle: http://www.henryrepeating.com/h002_survival.cfmbut I've heard the accuracy and reliability can be so-so.
The main purpose is to throw it in my "oh-sh!t" bag, along with a few rounds. I want to have something that I could hunt small game with, and possibly use for self-defense. I'm leaning towards the SUB at the moment, because the .22 is largely insufficient for SD.

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

I have a Sub2000 in 9mm and have been very pleased with it. I've never had a problem with it and it's plenty accurate for SD out to 100+ yds.....and, I can even take a rabbit at 50 yds if I'm in "survival mode"

curtm1911

imported post

An AK is not a bad choice either IMO, mine goes camping as does my MKII Ruger 22/45. Small game and larger game can be taken if need be, in an SHTF situation.

MetalChris

imported post

curtm1911 wrote:
An AK is not a bad choice either IMO, mine goes camping as does my MKII Ruger 22/45. Small game and larger game can be taken if need be, in an SHTF situation.
True, and with a folding stock it would probably be short enough to fit in my bag. I didn't even think of that! :banghead:

curtm1911

imported post

MetalChris wrote:
curtm1911 wrote:
True, and with a folding stock it would probably be short enough to fit in my bag. I didn't even think of that! :banghead:
Well, what did you decide, or is it too early to tell us yet, my vote is the AK, for several reasons, I'll let ya'll figger them out................

MetalChris

imported post

curtm1911 wrote:
MetalChris wrote:
curtm1911 wrote:
Well, what did you decide, or is it too early to tell us yet, my vote is the AK, for several reasons, I'll let ya'll figger them out................
I'll probably go with a top-folding AK...haven't made up my mind about the exact model though...I still have about 4 months of saving to do. :)

Michigander

imported post

Thundar wrote:
Mini 14 is a great gun that will last for decades, though the accuracy of mine is somewhat disappointing. Any gun used by Mr. T is O.K. in my book.

Actually, the A Team used AC556's ;)

sand86

imported post

1 vote for the SU-16. I have one and love it. I have carried it on backpacking trips as well. That was one reason I purchased it.