• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Camp Rifle

Weak 9mm

imported post

I would go with the SU-16 over a Mini-14. The mini-14 is expensive for what it is and I never hear good things about it's accuracy either. The SU-16 is a good rifle that is lightweight and compact if you get the one with a folding stock. The one with the full size stock offers the advantage of carrying two magazines in the stock. That is a nice feature IMO because you don't have to worry about them flopping around if all you bring is the rifle and ammo.

The SU-16 will be reliable and solid as well as reasonably accurate. The forend quickly converts into a bipod, another handy feature. I think it's a good all around rifle that is rugged and you wouldn't mind getting a little bit dirty or torn up because it's a minimalist, function over form rifle. The Mini-14, while inaccurate from everything I've heard, is a better looking and more expensive rifle that I would be more concerned about scraping up or getting filthy. The SU-16 is gas piston operated, which is a plus compared to the AR platform. The SU-16 uses an AR bolt assembly which is reliable. The SU-16 comes with a scope rail already on it too.

Overall you just get a lot for your money with the Kel-Tec and they aren't crap. They aren't the best lookers but they are reliable and solid IMO. My PLR-16 worked flawlessly and never once malfunctioned. It was harder to shoot accurately though because it's a handgun and you need the forend grip for it which costs extra. The SU-16 will have everything you need already on it and that's what you should go with.

gotm4

Campaign Veteran
imported post

My camping gun is a suppressed SBR (LMT 10" AR) loaded with Black Hills Mk262 Mod 1.

ADM019.jpg

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

gotm4 wrote:
My camping gun is a suppressed SBR (LMT 10" AR) loaded with Black Hills Mk262 Mod 1.

ADM019.jpg
Yeah, I was gonna pick one of those up, but then the bank said something aboutanunsecured loan, not enough income...I really wasn't paying attention.

jeeper1

imported post

Actually, the A Team used AC556's
That's what they were supposed to be but all the stills I culled from the programs showed stainless steel mini 14s in folding stocks. There was no happy switches on any of them.

M16a2

Farmington,Port Huron,Waterford MICHIGAN, , USA
imported post

All depends on what caliber you want, My family bought a huge sailboat for the lake house (that was one in the water one time in years). That when cleaning it out the first time we found a explorer. I forgot how makes it but the barrel fits in the stock. Very cool.

Options are also a Glock long upper and convert your Glock to a rifle.

I like the AR idea. Say a 10.5 barrel. Has two take down pins and it is apart.

that first gun you showed is also available in a suppressed barrel.

For all around use (non rifle) there is the mossberg 12ga in the waterproof floating tube or the Judge in 410/45

Just get the AR :celebrate

Virginian683

imported post

+1 on the folding stock AK. Inexpensive and reliable. You can use it to hunt, you can use it for defense, you can throw it around, bang it against trees, get it wet, get it dirty, and it'll be there for you when the chips are down. Not like some AR (or even cheaper Kel Tec version) that works great at the range but when you don't treat it like a princess (i.e. clean it religiously) fails to function. The AK may be cheap stamped metal but it is a real working/fighting rifle.

Virginian683

imported post

M16a2 wrote
I like the AR idea. Say a 10.5 barrel.

That makes it an NFA firearm. I believe he's looking for something practical. You forgot to mention the $200 tax stamp he has to pay, the mountain of paper work he has to go through, and that he has to go beg his police chief for a signature. Should only end up costing him about $1500 total. Oh yeah...and for all the trouble, his gun is registered to the ATF to confiscate at their pleasure.

Go with the folding AK. And as always, try to get your guns through private sale so there is absolutely no paper trail for a tyrannical government to follow.

M16a2

Farmington,Port Huron,Waterford MICHIGAN, , USA
imported post

Virginian683 wrote:
M16a2 wrote
I like the AR idea. Say a 10.5 barrel.

That makes it an NFA firearm. I believe he's looking for something practical. You forgot to mention the $200 tax stamp he has to pay, the mountain of paper work he has to go through, and that he has to go beg his police chief for a signature. Should only end up costing him about $1500 total. Oh yeah...and for all the trouble, his gun is registered to the ATF to confiscate at their pleasure.

Go with the folding AK. And as always, try to get your guns through private sale so there is absolutely no paper trail for a tyrannical government to follow.

Unless it is registered as a pistol! And you can also register it in multi. caliber. And have different uppers.

But then you could get a "pistol" AK with folding stock and short barrel.

So I say buy both and test them out. it is what I would do.:celebrate

FightingGlock19

imported post

MetalChris wrote:
curtm1911 wrote:
MetalChris wrote:
curtm1911 wrote:
An AK is not a bad choice either IMO, mine goes camping as does my MKII Ruger 22/45. Small game and larger game can be taken if need be, in an SHTF situation.
True, and with a folding stock it would probably be short enough to fit in my bag. I didn't even think of that! :banghead:
Well, what did you decide, or is it too early to tell us yet, my vote is the AK, for several reasons, I'll let ya'll figger them out................
I'll probably go with a top-folding AK...haven't made up my mind about the exact model though...I still have about 4 months of saving to do. :)
Good luck finding you top-folding AK. You'd probally have better luck getting an under-folder due to the election of Obama :lol:

opusd2

imported post

.40 Cal wrote:

AK underfolders are very compact and deliver a respectable payload.

Very true. But I may just stick with my mini 14. It is amazingly accurate, and since it shoots 5.56 I can blame it on any number of fellers who have a black rifle with them...

opusd2

imported post

What do I mean by "blame it"? Maybe some "fliers" that happen to take out an untended lamp post, pumpkin, headlight, wolf, annoying as hell sandhill crane, pigeon, one of a million fricken turkeys eating away at the corn patch...

But this is all conjecture, and said just for the purpose of amusement, of course.

eyesopened

imported post

opusd2 wrote:
.40 Cal wrote:

AK underfolders are very compact and deliver a respectable payload.

Very true. But I may just stick with my mini 14. It is amazingly accurate, and since it shoots 5.56 I can blame it on any number of fellers who have a black rifle with them...
I thought the mini-14s were 223? And I thought you couldn't safely shoot 5.56 in a gun chambered for 223, but you can shoot 223 if it is chambered in 5.56?