• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Utah Non Resident Open Carry

slickrock

imported post

What a giant pain in the butt travelling state to state is with a handgun, ain't it?

My wife and I applied for Non Resident Utah CCW permits and they are overdue, we leave for Utah for the summer in2 weeks. We allowed 85 days to get our permits based on the permit application stating that it took 4 weeks butBCI were allowed 60 days max. to process.

I called BCI in Utah last week and they were very friendly and helpful but said we were only processed67 days ago, and to expect ANOTHER 60 to 90 !! days to get the permits...if they don't get lost in the mail...give them 120 days and if they don't show up call back.

This will be a total of 180 days from when they cashed the checks...backlogged? I guess maybe!

Well, we won't be another year without our handguns while away from home, wewould rather go without pants then our sidearms as all Vermonters do.

My question is where does it say that NON RESIDENTS can carry Open in Utah?

I called the Attorney General's office and we got a voicemail, no one has bothered to return a call to date, even with a follow up call, again you go right to voicemail.

We have no problem Carrying Open but where does it say that we can?

Thanks and keep on carrying.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

slickrock wrote:

If the law doesn't say you can't do something, then you can. Ibelieve the deal is though that without a license, you can only carry an "unloaded" gun, and per Utah law, an "unloaded" gun is at least two actionsaway from firing, so you could carry your gun without a round in the chamber legally so long as it is not concealed. Racking the slide and and pulling the trigger would be the two steps.

I'm not an expert on Utah law, but that is my understanding of it.

slickrock

imported post

Yes, that is how it reads, 2 actions away from firing, however no where does it state that we can find that it applies to residents and non residents alike.

:shock:Assuming you can do something if they don't say you can't will get you a face to face with a judge someday. LOL>

tattedupboy

imported post

Felid`Maximus wrote:
slickrock wrote:

If the law doesn't say you can't do something, then you can. Ibelieve the deal is though that without a license, you can only carry an "unloaded" gun, and per Utah law, an "unloaded" gun is at least two actionsaway from firing, so you could carry your gun without a round in the chamber legally so long as it is not concealed. Racking the slide and and pulling the trigger would be the two steps.

I've heard about the 2 actions requirement. However, I'm wondering if the law defines what an "action" is. Technically, can't disengaging the safety count as an action, meaning that a round can be carried in the chamber as long as the safety is engaged?

jaredbelch

Founder's Club Member
imported post

tattedupboy wrote:
Felid`Maximus wrote:
slickrock wrote:

I've heard about the 2 actions requirement. However, I'm wondering if the law defines what an "action" is. Technically, can't disengaging the safety count as an action, meaning that a round can be carried in the chamber as long as the safety is engaged?
The law here says that it must be two mechanical actions to fire, plus you can not have a round in the firing position.

You are exempted from state school zone laws if you are in/on a vehicle, but once you step out of the vehicle you must stay 1000 feet from it (school includes college, daycare, private, elementary, and secondary).

76-10-502. When weapon deemed loaded.

(1) For the purpose of this chapter, any pistol, revolver, shotgun, rifle, or other weapon described in this part shall be deemed to be loaded when there is an unexpended cartridge, shell, or projectile in the firing position.
(2) Pistols and revolvers shall also be deemed to be loaded when an unexpended cartridge, shell, or projectile is in a position whereby the manual operation of any mechanism once would cause the unexpended cartridge, shell, or projectile to be fired.
(3) A muzzle loading firearm shall be deemed to be loaded when it is capped or primed and has a powder charge and ball or shot in the barrel or cylinders.

Amended by Chapter 328, 1990 General Session

slickrock

imported post

Thank you all for the replies, it is the right to carry openly that I am concerned with, not really the readiness of the weapon that bothers me, we use them only for snakes and whacking jacks for supper. The occasional yote.

We did not renew our NH non res permits as they are not valid in NV or MT, where we also spend time, the UT non res is, but god knows when it will be here, it'll be here when we get back in the fall, that's about it.

I have zero concern about carrying with one in the pipe, it is a non issue, I think I will end up carrying my rifle again, as much as I don't want to.