• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Registration Requirements

echo6tango

imported post

There are a few “interesting” requirements, (I swear, I didn’t make this stuff up…I have a sense of humor, but I’m not that funny):

- Not appear to suffer from a physical defect which would make it unsafe for him to possess and use a firearm safely and responsibly.
- Pass a written test.
- Pass a vision test or possess a valid D.C. Permit.
- The registrant must have the registration certificate in his or her possession whenever he has possession of the firearm.
- When a firearm is being lawfully transported from one location to another, it must be unloaded, securely wrapped, and carried in open view.
- No person shall carry or possess a firearm on public space in the District of Columbia unless traveling directly to or from a lawful firearm related activity.
- The Firearms Registration process will take approximately eight (8) weeks.
- No firearm shall be discharged in the District of Columbia without first obtaining a special written permit from the Chief of Police authorizing the discharge. (My personal favorite – written permission to defend yourself in a split second?)
- Use of a firearm against another person is a criminal offense unless your life or the life of another person is in immediate danger.
- $13.00 fee PER firearm
- $35.00 fingerprinting fee

Ammunition:
No person shall possess ammunition within the District unless:
A. He is a licensed dealer.
B. He is a holder of a valid registration certificate for a firearm of the same gauge or caliber as the ammunition he possesses.
C. He holds an ammunition collector’s certificate as of September 24, 1976.

15-page firearm registration PDFdownloaded from MPDP website:

Attachments

• firearms_registraton_req.pdf
    64.2 KB · Views: 193

HerbM

imported post

longwatch wrote:
I wonder if they are backpedling already, this form says it will take up to 14 days.
http://mpdc.dc.gov/mpdc/lib/mpdc/info/pdf/registering_firearm_dc.pdf
Maybe --that might also just be the "marketing flyer" version since the actual (AFAIK) forms give the 8 weeks number.

Both disallow SEMI-automatics:

ONLY rifles, shotguns and revolvers may be registered in the District of Columbia.

The following firearms may not be registered in the District: sawed-off shotguns, short-barreled riles, machine guns and semi automatc handguns.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

HerbM wrote:
longwatch wrote:
I wonder if they are backpedling already, this form says it will take up to 14 days.
http://mpdc.dc.gov/mpdc/lib/mpdc/info/pdf/registering_firearm_dc.pdf
Maybe --that might also just be the "marketing flyer" version since the actual (AFAIK) forms give the 8 weeks number.

Both disallow SEMI-automatics:

ONLY rifles, shotguns and revolvers may be registered in the District of Columbia.

The following firearms may not be registered in the District: sawed-off shotguns, short-barreled riles, machine guns and semi automatc handguns.

Well, before long, the original 1911's are going to 100 years old.

Hahahahahahahaha!!! What a bunch of putz's. You can't even own firearms based on a 100 year old design.

Oooooooo. Collector's items. Soooo much more dangerous.

For heaven sake,.357 magnum revolvers area younger design than even the 1911A1. The .357 came out in the early or mid 1930's I think.

And the .44 mag. revolver came out even later.

jmlefler

imported post

Okay, we will in a 'positive' law society in that enacted laws tell us what we can't do and our rights indicate what we can do.

In Michigan, there is no law against open carry therefore we can excercise our right by doing exactly that.

My question is this, since there is no law anymore regarding owning a handgun, and police regulations are not law, what is stopping the citizens of DC from excercising their rights by simply purchasing a handgun.

les_aker

imported post

jmlefler wrote:
My question is this, since there is no law anymore regarding owning a handgun, and police regulations are not law, what is stopping the citizens of DC from excercising their rights by simply purchasing a handgun.
There are no gun stores in DC that sell handguns, and a DC resident can't purchase in another state under existing federal law. A law that needs to be challenged in light of the USSC Heller decision.

AbNo

imported post

Citizen wrote:
Well, before long, the original 1911's are going to 100 years old.

For heaven sake, .357 magnum revolvers are a younger design than even the 1911A1.  The .357 came out in the early or mid 1930's I think. 

And the .44 mag. revolver came out even later.

Better get a high-capacity revolver, then. ;)

http://www.horstheld.com/0-pinfire.htm

"30-shot pin fire revolver made in France, no serial #, maker's name or proof stamps, cal. 7mm. 6" over and under barrels with dovetail front sight."

"a very rare 12-shot 9mm"

"Solingen proofed 12-shot-pinfire revolver"

"12-shot-revolver, serial # 16640, cal. 7mm"

"John Walch Navy Model"
http://www.cwslagleantiques.com/view_detail.cfm?catid=63&id=3104

Custom-made 24 Shot Revolver
http://rexdarteskimospy.blogspot.com/2008/03/24-shot-revolver.html

Hope that helps, guys!

possumboy

imported post

So, the "trigger locks except in immediate need of self-defense"; how does that work? If there is a trigger lock on a weapon, it is not usable for immediate self-defense.

Semi-automatic weapons seems to be a class of weapons to me.

Sounds like there will just be more law suits after even more law suits until all this is figured out. Unless officials decide not to find loopholes.

AbNo

imported post

So, we'll just nail 'em on banning a class of weapon, like they were just told they can't.

Fenty is going to bankrupt his city at this rate.

HerbM

imported post

possumboy wrote:
Sounds like there will just be more law suits after even more law suits until all this is figured out. Unless officials decide not to find loopholes.

Yes, and this is a form of 'defense in depth' or similar to a perp being chased turning over trashcans.

Nothing much real here, but each one gives them another way to slow the progress, and they can give up each one reluctantly claiming they are compromising.

And they might get lucky and find a judge or court who will let them use one of these delays for a bit longer.