• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

LA Times - How gun makers can help us

Cykaos

Opt-Out Members
imported post

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/la-op-sugarman29-2008jun29,0,1307373.story

Is the 12,000 number accidental deaths or just total deaths? They claim gun manufacturers can somehow change the way guns are designed to lower number of deaths but the article seems to talk about any kind of gun death. No matter how hard someone makes it to have an AD, criminals will still use guns to kill people. I don't know the stats but I am sure accidental deaths from guns are much lower than homicides with guns.

They also compare the idea to that of no child left behind which has been a huge failure if you talk to anyone who works in education.

I maybe am reading the article wrong but the logic makes no sense at all to me.

xRapidDavex

imported post

I love how they compare it to emission control.

Put simply, gun makers -- whose products kill even when used as directed -- would have to take responsibility for curbing the consequent public health toll.

Ya.... actually when a car is used as directed - which is DRIVING IT, then the company has no legal obligations at that point.... so why would the gun makers have obligations when their product is used as directed?!?!?! :banghead::banghead::cuss::cuss::banghead: