• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Long time lurker, first post.

snake021

imported post

I'm a commercial vehicle driver from Marietta OH. I was researching the laws for transporting in a com. vehicle when I stumbled across this site a while back and have been OC'ing for a while now. I got tired of unloading/reloading everytime I got in/out of my vehicle, so I went ahead and got my CCW permit. I normally wear a tactical thigh rig when OC'ing. So thanks to all those who have ever posted on here.

On Friday I was pulled over just east of Columbus on Rt. 33 in my truck by the OHP. He was certified to do DOT checks. As he approached my passenger side I did my duty to inform, he paused, reached up and unlocked the door, opened the door and climbed up.

Him - License, medical card, Reg, Ins, log books please.

As I'm getting my paperwork.

Him - Are you allowed to carry that in a commercial vehicle?

Me - Yes sir. ORC states that I am suppose to follow the same rules as driving a passenger vehicle, and I am to treat any DOT official the same as I do you.

Him- That's right.

End of discussion about the weapon.

No request for permit, never asked if it was loaded(although I'm sure he could see the mag), why do you carry, nothing. Spent the next 1/2 hour checking out my vehicle. Even was under the trailer with him, and sat in the cruiser while doing the paperwork.

Very proffesional, courteous, friendly officer. Thanks for listening.

MetalChris

imported post

Good deal. It's refreshing to hear about cops that know how to do their job. :)

Pauly

imported post

If you got his name you should contact his superior and let them know how professional and courteous this officer was. Just like official complaints this will go on his record. Always nice to reward good behavior!

Legba

imported post

You're still supposed to identify yourself as an armed permit holder from the get-go. Good deal all the same. I've never had any problems or complaints with the state police here. I'm not sure if it's a matter of training or if they just recruit from the "brightest and best" to start with.

-ljp

snake021

imported post

Pauly wrote:
If you got his name you should contact his superior and let them know how professional and courteous this officer was. Just like official complaints this will go on his record. Always nice to reward good behavior!

Way ahead of ya. ;)

Even without the OC'ing thing, the guy was pretty cool. Believe me, I've had my share of shouting matches on the side of the road with the OHP for speeding(55mph crap) and seatbelts. He said he loved the DOT position because most of the tickets he writes go to the company and not the driver.

snake021

imported post

Legba wrote:
You're still supposed to identify yourself as an armed permit holder from the get-go. Good deal all the same. I've never had any problems or complaints with the state police here. I'm not sure if it's a matter of training or if they just recruit from the "brightest and best" to start with.

-ljp

I did identify(duty to inform).

I did ask him what he thought about me mounting a PA speaker on the back of the truck and do my 'duty to inform' that way, since they really can't see me up in the cab. He said he really didn't see a need, but other officers might think differently.

Jason Rogers

imported post

I'm from your neck of the woods. Graduated from Fort Fry in '90. I visit my Mom a coulple of times a year. I OC but I'm always a little nervous cause Marietta Police and Washington Co SO always had a reputation when I was commin' up as being hard cases. I have never had a LEO encounter on SE Ohio while OCing, so maybe I'm nervous for no good reason.-Jay

snake021

imported post

Jason Rogers wrote:
I'm from your neck of the woods. Graduated from Fort Fry in '90. I visit my Mom a coulple of times a year. I OC but I'm always a little nervous cause Marietta Police and Washington Co SO always had a reputation when I was commin' up as being hard cases. I have never had a LEO encounter on SE Ohio while OCing, so maybe I'm nervous for no good reason.-Jay

Sorry I didn't see this post Jason. I've had no problems with MPD so far. Rode by them on my bicycle and motorcycle quite a few times with no response. Don't know if they're not seeing it, or don't care. Walked up to a MPD officer at the River Roar and asked if carrying was still permitted on the levy since this was the first year they were serving alcohol at the beer garden and the ORC says "open air arenas". He looked at my hip and said good question, went and asked one of the staffers where they were serving. She said only in the roped off area, and alcohol was still not allowed on the streets. He said just stay away from there and you'll be fine.

Brought this post back up to tell of my most recent experiences instead of making a new thread.

Took down some power lines in my big truck a few weeks ago. Caved in my windshield, took off my mirrors, ripped a huge hole in the trailer when they whipped back, all kinds of damage. Called the OHP, first to show up was the Sheriff. I was OC'ing as usual but itwas dark and rainy so I walked up to the cruiser and told him "just in case you didn't notice, I'm a permit holder and carrying". He looked down at my hip and said OK.

OHP showed up, he went to the Sheriff first. I walked up and started tell him and the Deputy said "it's OK, I already told him". That was last convo regarding me carrying. Sat in the cruiser and did all the paperwork.

Was stopped for "speeding" today by the OHP. She walked up the passenger side and asked if the door opens. I did my DTI and that my weapon was laying on the dash in front of me, she stepped back with a puzzeld look, said "Uh, OK, just get your paperwork and come to the front of the truck". Told her my wallet was beside me in my bag. "Ok, just leave it and come to the front".

Explained that I normally OC, but I had stopped back in Bellefontaine and went running, that's why I was in shorts and tennis shoes and hadn't changed yet and why my gun was on the dash. She asked how long I had my permit and that was it, she wrote me for no seatbelt, $85.

I'm begining to realize that the OHP doesn't really care as long as you do your DTI. None have asked for my permit yet or said anything about OC'ing.

JSK333

imported post

snake021 wrote:
Was stopped for "speeding" today by the OHP. She walked up the passenger side and asked if the door opens. I did my DTI and that my weapon was laying on the dash in front of me, she stepped back with a puzzeld look, said "Uh, OK, just get your paperwork and come to the front of the truck". Told her my wallet was beside me in my bag. "Ok, just leave it and come to the front".

Explained that I normally OC, but I had stopped back in Bellefontaine and went running, that's why I was in shorts and tennis shoes and hadn't changed yet and why my gun was on the dash. She asked how long I had my permit and that was it, she wrote me for no seatbelt, $85.

I'm begining to realize that the OHP doesn't really care as long as you do your DTI. None have asked for my permit yet or said anything about OC'ing.

You should know for the future that carrying that way is illegal. With a CHL, a loaded handgun must be on your person in a holster, or in a closed case or locked glove compartment (unlocked, or center console OK in a month or two). If it's loaded, you can't have it in plain sight off your person like that. I'd hate to see anyone get arrested on a technicality like has happened several times already.

But it's nice that this particular officer didn't seem to care!

snake021

imported post

JSK333 wrote:
snake021 wrote:
...I did my DTI and that my weapon was laying on the dash in front of me, ...

You should know for the future that carrying that way is illegal. With a CHL, a loaded handgun must be on your person in a holster, or in a closed case or locked glove compartment (unlocked, or center console OK in a month or two). If it's loaded, you can't have it in plain sight off your person like that. I'd hate to see anyone get arrested on a technicality like has happened several times already.

But it's nice that this particular officer didn't seem to care!

I know I was taking a chance, but I was still sweating profusely and didn't feel like changing until I stopped sweating. I guess maybe she accepted that excuse. Maybe next time I'll just wear my belt/pistol.

Thanks for looking out for me though.