• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OCing/CCing in formal situations. Do you do it?

apcci2

imported post

Just wondering if anybody else carries in formal settings. (For example, church, banquets, etc) If so what do you carry? How do you carry?Has anyone ever questioned youwhile doing so?

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

apcci2 wrote:
Just wondering if anybody else carries in formal settings. (For example, church, banquets, etc) If so what do you carry? How do you carry?Has anyone ever questioned youwhile doing so?

The reoccurring problem I've had here in NC is that almost every "formal" setting involves served alcohol, so legally carrying is a no-go. I have carried in suit and tie before. I've carried my Walther PPK/s in a shoulder holster, and I've carried my SW99 in a leather belt holster behind my strong-side hip. Come to think of it, one of the times I was wearing the SW99, I had the coat off for most of the day, and no I was never questioned. Sheeple obviously have a tendency to assume someone with a gun is a cop, and a suit and tie probably just helps that assumption.

I would LOVE to be able to carry at the various banquets, dinners, and dances that I attend throughout the year, but I've yet to attend one where alcohol wasn't served. Come to think of it, I probably would bother to attend of alcohol wasn't served :p.

jeffreywt

imported post

Wouldn't Served be quite different than "sold and consumed"?

I'm thinking in the context of a wedding reception that is not held at an "establishment" or place of business. I suppose this might count as private property and nullify my question.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

jeffreywt wrote:
Wouldn't Served be quite different than "sold and consumed"?

I'm thinking in the context of a wedding reception that is not held at an "establishment" or place of business. I suppose this might count as private property and nullify my question.
If the reception has a bar provided by the premises or a caterer, then I definitely wouldn't push it. Even if it's an open bar, it's being paid for somehow.

bobernet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I carry everywhere I can... formal events included.

It is a little more hassle, in that I have to get used to being on the warm side, and not removing my jacket when I might otherwise like to.

I carry every Sunday to church.

I was at a charity banquet a couple months ago, suit and tie, Colt Commander IWB at 5:00.

I was at a charity banquet last week... carried in a suit and tie. Funny enough, at this event, they had the local Air Force base color guard "post" the colors before the event began. The MC asked people to put their right hand over their heart unless "under arms" in which case to salute. One older gentleman near the front was saluting.

It might be more comfortable to CC in a SmartCarry or something similar, but I'm very used to carrying IWB with an untucked shirt or jacket, so I don't bother.