• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Who will step forward and start an Illinois open carry group?

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

An open carry picnic in an unincorporated area (where the County has not banned the practice in say a park) might be just what the doctor ordered.

lockman

State Researcher
imported post

Mike,

Kane county forest preserve district under thier rules & regulations ony has a prohibition on hunting. But if you can render an unofficial legal interpritation of the following statute I believe has been discussed before.

(720 ILCS 5/21-6)

Sec. 21-6. Unauthorized Possession or Storage of Weapons.

(a) Whoever possesses or stores any weapon enumerated in Section 33A-1 in any building or on land supported in whole or in part with public funds or in any building on such land without prior written permission from the chief security officer for such land or building
Commits a Class a misdemeanor.
(b) The chief security officer must grant any reasonable request for permission under paragraph (a).
(Source: P.A. 89-685, eff. 6-1-97.)

junglebob

imported post

lockman wrote:
Mike,

Kane county forest preserve district under thier rules & regulations ony has a prohibition on hunting. But if you can render an unofficial legal interpritation of the following statute I believe has been discussed before.

(720 ILCS 5/21-6)

Sec. 21-6. Unauthorized Possession or Storage of Weapons.

(a) Whoever possesses or stores any weapon enumerated in Section 33A-1 in any building or on land supported in whole or in part with public funds or in any building on such land without prior written permission from the chief security officer for such land or building
Commits a Class a misdemeanor.
(b) The chief security officer must grant any reasonable request for permission under paragraph (a).
(Source: P.A. 89-685, eff. 6-1-97.)
Anyone know of a pro-open carry Illinois sheriff who might grant this request? He is the cheif security officer, correct? Winnebago county is pro-concealed carry, but its a long way from where I live.

SAK

imported post

I'll start a group. I'm a huge fan of open carry, I've open-carried in other states, and if I had the choice I would open carry in this state, as opposed to concealed carry.

I've been trying to promote the idea of using symbolic expression/communication, since we don't have the ability to open carry right now in the cities. Empty holsters and/or fannypacks is what I would like to use. Even this idea is met with unbelievable resistance.

Check out: http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=10446

to see what I mean. I'm keeping the debate going, though, to try to reach some people. I've resorted to working with people 1-on-1 since the Illinois discussion forum isn't friendly to some ideas.

SAK

imported post

Since I live in Winnebago county -- where the famous county-based CCW resolution is being discussed and pass -- perhaps this is a good place for such an event.

I was thinking today that it might be very worthwhile to discuss with the county board adding open carry to current resolution. The latest SCOTUS ruling has put a lot of power behind open carry, while muddying up the concealed waters as well. Why not use this to strengthen the resolution. Surely starting with open carry would be a wonderful way to get concealed carry.

Although even if we had open carry, I bet too many gun owners here would be afraid of doing it. They are certainly afraid of doing it up in Wisconsin. It would only take a small group of committed people to get CCW to pass up there by using open carry marches/rallies and other types of demonstrations. This is my opinion, at least. I think too many gun owners feel we can win antis over to our side by offering them our teet to suck on.

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I amnot sure who the chief security officer is of the forest preserves in Winnebago County. It may be that the Forest Preserve District has not assigned that duty to anyone. If that is the case, there is no one to get permission from.

I would also point out that some of the forest preserves may well be within the limits of an incorporated municipality, or within 1000 feet of a school, thus making them a bad place to be carrying a loaded firearm.

SAK

imported post

There should be some place in the county we could do it. It doesn't have to be in a forest preserve. The chief security officer would be the sheriff, unless one has been specifically assigned to an area. There would NEED to be a chief security officer, or that statute would violate the Constitution (if it doesn't already).

I'm open to suggestions for a location :) Perhaps I'll just talk to the sheriff and see if he has any ideas.