• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Howdy!

Flyer22

imported post

My name is Daniel, and I'm new here. I read the forum for a littlewhile before registering. I'm happy to say that I live in Colorado Springs. (Sheriff Maketa is a wonderful man!) I sometimes OC on the hiking trails during the summer months because of 4-legged critters. (I saw a bear once when out hiking: let me tell you, it's a LOT different than seeing one in a zoo.) However, I have not yet OC'ed other than that.

I have a couple of questions for those who OC on a regular or semi-regular basis.
1. When you OC, do you ever carry anything in your gun hand to try to make it clear than you're not a threat to anybody? (Since you would have to lay down or transfer the item before drawing.)
2. Being right-handed, when I carry on my belt, it's on the right side. I'm notmuchofa fan of crossdraw, although there are a few circumstances where I could see doing it. However, by the same token, I also keep my billfold in my right hip pocket. It seems to me that reaching around behind my gun for my billfold to pay for somethingcould easily be construed as threatening. How do others handle that?

Chief_of_Scouts

imported post

Hi Daniel,
I have been lurking these forums and thought I would finally register and make a post, since I pondered your question #2 before.

I have been carrying for several years, mainly concealed but under loose, unbuttoned shirts with my .45 on my right hip. When I reach for my wallet, I tend to flash my weapon. Therefore I primarily carry my wallet in my rear left pocket. This eliminates the flashing and also keeps my right hand free to draw in an emergency.

I suppose this addresses question #1, that I find it more important to keep my firing hand free than to concern myself with perceived threat.

BTW, I too live in Colorado Springs and I am a big supporter of Sheriff Maketa.

Evil Ernie

imported post

Welcome to OCDO and the Colorado Forums to both of you!!! The more the merrier and strength in numbers!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anything held can be dropped rather quickly. I try not to carry too much stuff tho, If you're going in for more than a loaf of bread and a gallon of milk tho, get a cart.
"Non-threatening" comes from your demeanor, confidence, and appearance. Granted, those first few times OCing you may feel like the world is focusing on you, but it's not. I was a bit jumpy the first couple times.
Make sure you have your arsenal of replies ready. Those will definitely come in handy sooner or later.
Also, if ever confronted, be calm, polite, and confident. Think of it as going to a job interview (just don't lie:p). Since you've already played your "first impression" hand by being seen OCing, what you do next will either benefit the OC movement or reflect badly upon it.
Most anti's will try and either pick a verbal fight, or try and make life hard for you (calling the cops, calling mgmt, etc). Remember, anti's take pleasure in stripping you of your Rights and seeing you suffer. Don't get into bickering, or verbal combat where naughty words are so tempting to use. Keep your cool, and if they try to start shit, excuse yourself from the confrontation and keep on moving.
Now if mgmt or the 5-0 get involved, then thats another story. Be polite, firm but compliant. You can fight it out later in court.