• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Next Handgun

Harvdog

imported post

My daily ccw is a Springfield XD subcompact in 40s&w. This is also my open carry gun. I also own a Ruger GP161 (yes...6" barrel) stainless 357magnum. My pocket pistol is a Raven .25.

So now I'm shopping for another handgun. Here is what I am considering:

Ruger 357 or 38 snubbie (this would become my ccw)
XD 9mm (can't have too many XDs)
Some type of 1911 (but can't spend a grand :what:)

Jack Hollowpoint

imported post

I think a double stack and/or a 45 ACP is pretty large for CCW. What I find with such guns is that I won't carry them. They get heavy, bulky. The "novelty" of CCW is way past for me.

Having all sorts of stuff to chose from, Sub Compact 1911 to NAA Guardian in 32 ACP, I end up with a Kahr 9mm or a J-frame snub in .357 mag.

I have some double stack, high cap handguns, Uzi Baby Eagle and XD in 45 ACP. The XD was purchased SPECIFICALLY for carry in the vehicle, and has a laser sight, 14 rd capacity, 5" bbl. It works great in the vehicle, but not for CCW.

I'd be inclined to look at one of the alloy snubs -- but then I would rarely shoot it. The titanium snubs are carry guns, not shooters.

60 yrs old and never in a shoot-out (except in a war zone). There's been a few times I was glad I had a CCW with me, but I think in MOST CASES, just drawing the gun is going to stop the row. If you end up actually shooting -- 5 rds of .357 mag. should cover you. If it doesn't, you picked a place to hang out where you shouldn't hang even with an M-60.

The Ruger snub is one fine CCW option. What I really like about a revolver is that I can keep it loaded without worrying about compressing mag springs.

There are lots of new, single stack, 9mm poly frame guns out now -- hard to keep up with them. But the single stack is SKINNY and light. That makes for a nice CCW.

If I'm gonna seriously carry "out in the field" I go with a Smith 629, 4" bbl, in 44 mag. And that's only to cover my butt 'til I get to the long-gun in the vehicle.

But mostly, I try to steer clear of war zones -- now that Uncle Sam isn't giving me hazardous duty pay.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I would be inclined towards the 1911 myself. I typically carry either an XD45 compact or a Sig P228, have a .38 revolver and a Raven .25 so I am in a similar position. My next handgun will be either a Sig P226 or P229 (still deciding) and then I'm getting a full size 1911, probably mil spec.

thx997303

imported post

I know, I'm just pointing out that there is usually someone who says

"Those are all crap, buy a Glock"

Especially when you mention XDs

Weak 9mm

imported post

I keep thinking about getting something chambered in 10mm... Like a Glock 29 or an EAA Witness Compact 10mm. I really want a firearm chambered in 10mm, but I already have a full sized Glock so the next one needs to be compact. It's such a nasty caliber, you can use bullets with weights anywhere from the 9mm range (135gr) up to the .45ACP range (230gr). It's capable of producing simply nasty muzzle energy with the entire range of bullet weights available.

The G20 has a 15rd magazine capacity and the G29 has a 10rd mag. I think that is decent in either case. For a compact, 10 rounds of 10mm ammunition is not bad at all. The more I think about it the more I want a 10mm for my CC firearm, lol.

Maybe a nice 10mm Glock or EAA Witness would be an interesting change of pace for you? The muzzle energy of a 10mm can be well over 700ft.lb. when fired out of a Glock 20! Double Tap's 135gr Nosler JHP will leave the G20's barrel at 1600fps, producing 767ft.lb. of ME. Their 155gr Speer Gold Dot reaches 1475fps (And 750ft.lb.) out of a G20 and 1405fps out of a G29! Their 200gr JHP reaches 1250fps and 694fps out of a G20, while the G29 will put it out at 1195fps. As you can see, it has a lot of power with any bullet weight. It's a really versatile cartridge IMO.

Here's the 155gr Gold Dot:

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_25&products_id=38

OOOH, also the S&W 610 10mm (And .40S&W of course) revolver. That thing looks awesome and comes in 4" and 6" BBL versions.

Of your options, they're all good I think. A subcompact 9mm XD would be a very sensible choice. You get the flush fitting magazine for concealed carry and you can use the extended mag for your secondary. Then if you OCed the SC XD9 you could use the flush fitting mag for your secondary. I like the snub nose revolvers, but the psychological issue for me of having 5 shots is hard to deal with. I would probably want two snub nose revolvers to be honest, one in each pocket, or one in a pocket and one in a concealed holster or something.

A 1911 would be nice too, but I would go for high capacity stuff right now because I am worried about another AWB. Para Ordinance makes quality 1911's from what I've heard, and they can be found for a good bit under $1000.

Eeyore

imported post

XDs and 1911s are sooo mainstream. Try something different and more obscure.

You don't like the grip angle on Glocks (and rightfully so), so the Steyr is out. Maybe EAA's Zastava EZ? Baby Desert Eagle? Walther P99? One of the less-common CZs?

truck1par

imported post

:shock:Have to admit that I'm prejudiced, I just reaquainted myself with a 1911A1 Gov'mnt and wonder why I ever looked away. I have a Glock and its fine weapon but if my life is on the line I'd rather be holding the 1911.......

Hard to believe the government actually got something THAT right! lol

curtm1911

imported post

Harvdog wrote:
curtm1911 wrote:
A Springfield Armory G.I. Champion 4" barrel is a nice 1911, I sure like mine.

I do like that. What would I expect to pay for one of these either in a 4" or 5" version?
I found mine used at a shop here in Snobsdale Az. with the night sights on it for right around $500. I went in that day looking to walk out with a Kel-Tec P-11, saw this in the case and in little bitty print on the side of the pricetag were the words, "Nite Sites" and being the 1911 fan that I am, it was a no-brainer. Installed an ambi safety on it and now it goes with me everyday. The grips are a sharp addition to it too, very nice looking, and thick enough to be quite filling in the hand.