• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My First Open Carry in Morgan Hill Ca ( Bay Area)

stevenrm87

imported post

Hello all: So after purchasing my first handgun which is a Kimber 1911 CDP Compact, and reading this forum for a few weeks I bought a nice holster and a few Wilson Combat Mags. I finally decided to open carry the other day. I just got off work at 3pm so I was already dressed in slacks and a tucked in button up shirt. ( Its what I wear to work everyday) My car payment was late so I holstered up my kimber and headed to CommonWealth Credit Union in Morgan Hill. I was so nervous because it was my first open carry and + it was at a Bank hahah I guess if I can do it at a bank I can do it anywear. So I walked in and got the usual stares but no comments.. I walked up and paid my payment. I left went to Home Depot and bought a Master Lock for my gun case. I was in there for 20 min and then left. No SWAT No Police Overall was a pretty good expierence. By the way im 21 years old so I look young.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Rad! I live in Mountain View so it's good to see some bay area people starting to carry. Might have to go get a handgun now and join in.

stevenrm87

imported post

Yeah Not too many Story's about OCers in our area! Even though we live in "Safe City's" I always remembered what my teacher always sayd "who's a probation officer for Santa Clara County by the way"

"Id rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6"

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Welcome to the ranks of the pioneers. I know what you mean about carrying in your bank. I've only carried in one bank, and that was in Apache Junction, AZ (where a gun on the hip is not a bizarre sight). My bank in Turlock was across the street from an elementary, so I never carried there. And now I have direct deposit, so I haven't been to the bank in months. Some day I'll need to go in for some reason, and the one near my new residence is not near a school... so some day...

Again, I want to applaud your courage in this adverse political/cultural climate.

MudCamper

Founder's Club Member

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

pro2A wrote:
Wait I'm confused :? I thought OC was illegal in Commiefornia...

Of course you did. Your knowledge of the situation doesn't extend past "commie."

As far as I am concerned, until Illinois, New York, and Massachusetts are routinely referred to as "communist," people need to stop spreading ignorance with all this counter-productive California-bashing. Most Californians don't even know their own rights, and the rest of America isn't helping them along with this constant tirade of "PRK" BS.

Haymaker

imported post

Nice. I’d like to see more threads like this about Bay Area OC. I'm still trying to educate myself on all the legalities. Stories like this help me work up my nerve. BTW does anyone OC in SF, Daly City, or Pacifica? How about San Bruno or San Mateo?

wayneco

imported post

An opinion poll of local leaders in Morgan Hill CA seems pretty split about right to have a gun in your home: six of those polled said no, we should not have this right to have guns in our homes and five said yes, we should.

I think this means more folks in Morgan Hill need to open carry to raise awareness. Push back on them, raise awareness of the movement.

http://www.morganhilltimes.com/opin...ght-to-have-guns-for-self-defense-in-the-home

(for the story w/ photos of each of these folks, click the link above -- text is below)

Last Updated: July 4, 2008 3:00 AM

OPINION > AROUND THE WATER COOLER

Around the water cooler: Do you agree with the Supreme Court's ruling affirming the right to have guns for self-defense in the home?

Jul 3, 2008

THIS WEEK'S QUESTION:

Do you agree with the Supreme Court's ruling affirming the right to have guns for self-defense in the home?
Yes: 5
No: 6

■ Karen Anderson: Yes. I think the issue was hand guns but I still agree. You have a right to defend your home and family.

■ Bert Berson: No. To quote Antonin Scalia, "It will almost certainly cause more Americans to be killed."

■ Chris Bryant: No response.

■ David Cohen: No. While not advocating a total gun ban, I do not believe people need to keep weapons in their homes.

■ Dennis Kennedy: No. I believe local jurisdictions, including the District of Columbia, especially in situations where gun crime is rampant, should have the right to regulate where guns can be allowed.

■ Julian Mancias: Yes. However, I also agree with Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia'a opinion that the "Second amendment right to bear arms is not unlimited."

■ Linda McNulty: No. This will lead to more violence and accidental shootings. We live in a different world now and other methods exist for self defense.

■ Lisa Pampuch: No. The Second Amendment refers to "a well-regulated militia" in relation to the right to bear arms; Supreme Court seems to have ignored that phrase.

■ John Quick: Yes I agree. The reasonable right to bear arms is core to the right to overturn a government run rampant. It is a control on unreasonable governance - which the Bush Administration has come closer to than any administration in the history of this country.

■ Emily Shem-Tov: "No, but it was good that it didn't rule out all sound regulations and restrictions in place to keep people safe from guns."

■ Steve Staloch: Yes, but the ruling does not change certain restrictions to the Second Amendment such as access to guns by felons and the mentally ill, and certain arms deemed illegal to possess. It is difficult to argue that the Second Amendment does not guarantee the right to have guns in the home for any reason, including self-defense.

■ Maureen Webb: Yes, I do agree with the Supreme Court's ruling. I hope the adults who own a gun for self-defense keep it under lock and key to prevent potential tragedies in the home.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

wayneco wrote:
■ Bert Berson: No. To quote Antonin Scalia, "It will almost certainly cause more Americans to be killed."
While Mr. Berson does correctly quote Scalia here, he is unfortunately quoting an entirely different case. Scalia wrote the opinion for the majority in Heller, he is against the handgun ban in DC. This quote is taken from Boumediene v. Bush, the case where the Supreme Court decided that the prisoners in Guantanamo Bay could challenge their detentions in court.

Pretty slimey move using Scalia's words against himself.