• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Whats your BUG, and what is it Bugging :)

Thundar

imported post

SCOTUS 07-290 wrote:
I could saunter around town with my three Uzis, AK, Garand, 2 1911's, XD, J-Frame, N-Frame, three scoped centerfire rifles, two lever action carbines, four shotguns, two Mausers, a Moisin, black powder muskets,...,

Dude,

If thats all you got you need some serious Gunbroker or Auction Arms bidding action. From your list I would guess that the S&W J Frame is your bug, right?

What kind of Mausers? I prefer Swedish Mausers.

curtm1911

imported post

Weak9mm,

I use Remington Thunderbolt in it, the manual recommends no hyper velocity ammo because it might cause malfunctions. It is also DA/SA, quite controllable, and fun to shoot too. Like the old saying goes, the .22 in the pocket beats the .45 at home everytime. It is well made and reliable and I do not feel undergunned with it as my BUG. 7+1 is gonna hurt at arms length or so and they would be coming real fast too.

Weak 9mm

imported post

Interesting, is it because the hyper velocity rounds are too powerful or is it due to a difference in powder burn rate compared with other rounds? I haven't owned a .22LR pistol, hence the uncertainty.

Out of curiosity, can you use the 60gr Aguila Sub Sonic Sniper (SSS) rounds? The bullet is huge, so I don't even know if it would work properly with your magazine, but at least out of a rifle and a Walther P22 it penetrates very well from what I've seen. On brassfetcher they used a Walther P22 with a 3.4" bbl, which allowed it to penetrate 13.1". It also turned on its side after 8" of penetration, causing a pretty nasty looking wound channel. That is VERY acceptable penetration for a .22LR fired from a pistol IMO. I would, without a doubt, trust it to reach vitals and probably pop right through most bone, including the skull. Here's the test with a photo of the damage to the inside of the block. That is one nasty bullet!

http://www.brassfetcher.com/WaltherP22test.html

curtm1911

imported post

I believe it is because of the short slide rails, I mean REAL short, no recoil spring and I think it is also because I recall reading somewhere of people using hypervel ammo and the slide coming off. Not sure where I read it, but it was a reliable source so I just follow the manual and have had no problems. To further elaborate on the reliability, I tend to believe that the hypervel ammo causes it to cycle too fast for the action, that is an opinion, but I believe it to be valid in this case. High Velocity ammo is ok in it, but again, I do not use hypervel in it. I will run a box of 50 everytime I shoot it and no problems, so if it works, why try to push the envelope.

Jack Hollowpoint

imported post

Thundar wrote:
SCOTUS 07-290 wrote:
I could saunter around town with my three Uzis, AK, Garand, 2 1911's, XD, J-Frame, N-Frame, three scoped centerfire rifles, two lever action carbines, four shotguns, two Mausers, a Moisin, black powder muskets,...,

Dude,

If thats all you got you need some serious Gunbroker or Auction Arms bidding action. From your list I would guess that the S&W J Frame is your bug, right?

What kind of Mausers? I prefer Swedish Mausers.
-- That's just the stuff off the top of my head that I listed . . .

M96 Swede, 1900 Oberndorf. 38/22 Czech, and a M48 Yugoslav.

I listed my "bug" above -- 12 gauge shotgun. The handgun is just to cover your ass until you can get to the long-gun. I have a wide array of both handguns and long-guns. Picking a combo is sort of like chosing what shoes to wear.

No Glocks, no AR's -- owned both in the past and can't warm up to them.

Not a war zone here, not a lot of Zombies -- I drive into town for groceries all the time without being armed.

DocV

imported post

David.Car wrote:
Sea_Chicken wrote:
I carry an extra mag in case of a gun grab so i can eject the current one in the gun incase whoever gets it away from me.
What about the one in the chamber? :)

My Browning has a magazine safety. Drop the mag and the weapon won't fire, even with one in the chamber.

Good or bad is up for debate. There are a lot of pro and con opinions about magazine safties.

DocV

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

DocV wrote:
David.Car wrote:
Sea_Chicken wrote:
I carry an extra mag in case of a gun grab so i can eject the current one in the gun incase whoever gets it away from me.
What about the one in the chamber? :)

My Browning has a magazine safety. Drop the mag and the weapon won't fire, even with one in the chamber.

Good or bad is up for debate. There are a lot of pro and con opinions about magazine safties.

DocV
That method has saved a few LEO's during outnumbered/overpowering gun grabs, when the cop or trooper was armed w/a 3rd Gen S&W, which also have a mag safety. Not a bad stradegy for an OC-specific handgun.

ThunderRanch

imported post

SCOTUS 07-290 wrote:
You're not in the business of engaging in armed confrontation. You don't need to be equipped as if you're in the business of pro-actively engaging in armed confrontation.
That's your opinion and I certainly hope you don't think we should be legislated out of having the ability to own a weapon that you've defined as "offensive only." What, in your infinite knowledge and ability to tell what everyone in here will and wont need during their lifetime, makes a firearm "offensive only?"

That's not my "opinion" . . . unless you're on the PAYROLL for law enforcement or the military, you're not "in the business of engaging in armed confrontation."

You' may be preoccupied, fixated or otherwise obssessed with engaging in armed
confrontation, but it's not your job.

And there's nothing in the construction of my statement which would infer some sort of distinction between "offfensive" and "defensive" arms, and some sort of concomitant ban on an entire class of firearms.

I have a small cannon at the house; it's "offensive." It's not the "Bill of Needs" it's the Bill of Rights.

But I just don't see much utility in carrying on one's person more than one firearm. The police and military pretty much agree with me on that one too. The backup should be a long-gun, unless you're Walter Mitty and being chased by Zombies.

Let's not patronize my "infinite knowledge and ability." You're just going to piss me off.

I can't, for the life of me, figure out why someone so obviously and adamantly anti-gun is a part of this forum. Especially when pretty much everything he posts is pure opinion, not backed up by any hard evidence. I wouldn't have the gall to have a screen name that misrepresented my affiliation with the Supreme Court.

My CCW instructor, a Virginia Sate Police Officer, drilled it into the class's head that if you are going to carry one gun for self defense, you really should carry a backup. The valid reasons have been well documented here. There is NO valid reason not to. You can choose to rely on a single weapon, or you can just be so bad (Like Scotus) that you don't even need one, let alone two!

Primary carry is a full size 1911 with two spare mags. BUG is a compact 1911 with one spare mag.

DocV

imported post

Here's a good reason for a BUG/extra mags:

http://www.myfoxwghp.com/myfox/pages/News/Detail?contentId=6951703&version=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.2.1

GREENSBORO, N.C. (WGHP) -- A group of approximately 20 black males allegedly attacked two woman on High Point Rd. early Wednesday morning.

Around 1:25 a.m., approximately 20 young black males approached Mingan Pao, 37, and Quinghua Lu, 18, near the intersection of High Point Rd. and Immanuel Rd.

According to police, the victims stole Ms. Lu's purse and laptop computer. Mr. Pao suffered cuts, bruises and a possible broken jaw.

Anyone with information about this case is asked to call Crimestoppers at 336-373-1000.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

DocV wrote:
Here's a good reason for a BUG/extra mags:

http://www.myfoxwghp.com/myfox/pages/News/Detail?contentId=6951703&version=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.2.1

GREENSBORO, N.C. (WGHP) -- A group of approximately 20 black males allegedly attacked two woman on High Point Rd. early Wednesday morning.

Around 1:25 a.m., approximately 20 young black males approached Mingan Pao, 37, and Quinghua Lu, 18, near the intersection of High Point Rd. and Immanuel Rd.

According to police, the victims stole Ms. Lu's purse and laptop computer. Mr. Pao suffered cuts, bruises and a possible broken jaw.

Anyone with information about this case is asked to call Crimestoppers at 336-373-1000.
:what: That truly is frightening. What happens to one of us in that situation if we pull our sidearm and start firing? Do they run? Attack en masse? Do we go to jail for shooting 10 people?

Weak 9mm

imported post

I snagged myself a BUG today, it will be my primary CC handgun for now too. A S&W 642 airweight! Oh man is it ever nice, I really like it. The trigger pull is, of course, rather heavy. But it's a smooth revolver and it's my first one so I decided I'd better make it a good one! When I asked the folks at the store what they thought about it, they both lifted their shirts up a bit and revealed their 642's held IWB with those small retaining clips that attach to the frame, lol! :cool:

curtm1911

imported post

Weak 9mm,

Welcome to wheelguns, they are lots of fun too. I've got a Colt DSII, stainless, 3", 6 shots of Hydra-Shoks, 3 more Speedloaders full, don't forget Speedloaders, IMO, HKS is the best, and you are ready.

Revolvers are fun and fully capable. You can't ever have enough tools for your toolbox, or your OSB!!! Practice, Practice, Practice until it is an extension, Stay Safe, Have Fun!!!

Weak 9mm

imported post

Yeah I snagged one HKS speedloader and I'm probably going to snag a couple more this week. I didn't have enough money on me to get more, lol. I am so happy about the purchase, it's an absolutely beautiful revolver I think. Something about a revolver is a bit more classy than black plastic (Although I love my Glock too). :)

By the way, what do you think about those clips that you attach to the frame so you can carry the revolver IWB? Both of the guys at the store had them and I never noticed they were carrying until they showed me. The clip stays attached to the frame with a screw and it didn't get in the way of opening the cylinder or anything. I really liked it but I don't know if there might be better ways to carry the Airweight.

ChuckB

imported post

Weak 9mm wrote:
Yeah I snagged one HKS speedloader and I'm probably going to snag a couple more this week. I didn't have enough money on me to get more, lol. I am so happy about the purchase, it's an absolutely beautiful revolver I think. Something about a revolver is a bit more classy than black plastic (Although I love my Glock too). :)

By the way, what do you think about those clips that you attach to the frame so you can carry the revolver IWB? Both of the guys at the store had them and I never noticed they were carrying until they showed me. The clip stays attached to the frame with a screw and it didn't get in the way of opening the cylinder or anything. I really liked it but I don't know if there might be better ways to carry the Airweight.
I haven't heard of these. Anyone know where are some pics of them?

Weak 9mm

imported post

There's a link to the belt clip thing in my "I got a revolver!" thread about halfway down the page in my really long post, if that's what you're talking about. If it's the HKS speedloader, there's a pic of that in the first post of that thread.