• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

U.P. CCW classes.....

Northern-Lights

imported post

Just wondering if anyone knows of a GREAT CCW class up here in the central U.P.? After talking to several people who've taken classes....it appears there are some classes which are ok....and some who go above and beyond the normal for a great class.

I don't know anyone here in the U.P. who've taken the class....or I'd ask up here.

Thanks

northofnowhere

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Up here in the Keweenaw only one class is offered publicly, and I heard it was well worth it if you want the knowledge to go elsewhere. I ended up going to the Grand Rapids area for a seminar for HUD and took that time to take a class downstate at Bass Pro Shops and thought the extra money and time to get to the class was great.

I am not familiar with the classes in your county, but do suggest you ask about class sizes, the local one here crams 45-50 people in a class and I cannot see getting your money's worth and the right education out of that type of class.

I had 12 people in my class downstate and we barely fit the information in with quesion/answer sessions as it was.

good luck to you!

Northern-Lights

imported post

northofnowhere wrote:
Up here in the Keweenaw only one class is offered publicly, and I heard it was well worth it if you want the knowledge to go elsewhere. I ended up going to the Grand Rapids area for a seminar for HUD and took that time to take a class downstate at Bass Pro Shops and thought the extra money and time to get to the class was great.

I am not familiar with the classes in your county, but do suggest you ask about class sizes, the local one here crams 45-50 people in a class and I cannot see getting your money's worth and the right education out of that type of class.

I had 12 people in my class downstate and we barely fit the information in with quesion/answer sessions as it was.

good luck to you!
Thanks a bunch for the info. I'm currently looking at a class in Traverse City that is taught by an attorney who is also a NRA licensed intructor. A buddy took that one and said it was great.

Northern-Lights

imported post

Well, just in case anyone is interested.....there looks like a CPL class will take place in the Daggot area the first or second Saturday in August. I just talked to the instuctor and will hear from him soon on the exact date.

I had to chuckle when he told me over the phone that he supplies the ammo and everything. When he didn't ask what kind of firearm I was bringing....I asked if he was also supplying 9mm also? Then he said "No....I supply the guns and the ammo. All that's required is that you can prove you can hit the target....and I don't like the idea of a bunch of people sitting around with guns....so I have six .22 caliber pistols I supply along with the ammo."

I held back my gasp of horror (You'rekidding me....you don't like people being armed???!!) and talked to him further. Finally, I found out he does a lot of teaching of students going to college to be corrections officers or future LEO's and many haven't done much handling of guns before. I mentioned my hesitation about handling a gun I wasn't familiar with, etc. Hetold me to go ahead and bring myown.....and I could go to the far end of the line and shootdown there.

He really loosened up after he found out I'm a veteran andwho had to carry a few times in the military....etc. Wow....I guess I can see his point about peoplesitting out there with guns......but if they can't be safe in that setting.....fail them for crying out loud and boot them from the class!

Oh well.....I'lltake the class and apply for my concealed carry permit. We'll see how long that takes!! :?