23 58.97%
  • Probably not

1 2.56%
  • Would not be interested/No

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Multi-state OC event.

Post imported post

As a member of the Pennsylvania Firearms Owners Association I have been interested in having a multi-state (mid-Atlantic) regional meet/lunch. I wish to get in contact with members of the Virginia Citizens Defense League,Maryland Shall Issue and various other pro-gun state organizations like ours around the region (West Virginia, Ohio, New York and Delaware) and pick a central place to meet for a picnic or a lunch sometime in the future. I know it'll be tough to coordinate, but with the right people I'm sure it could be done. Anyone care to help or have any thoughts on this?

Edit: I'd prefer to have the event in either VA, PA or WV where OC is legal and/or more accepted.

Post imported post

I'm open to it, but the only days I'm certain to have off are Sundays. Otherwise, I won't really know if I have off of work until about a week beforehand.

I'd put in a vote for having the event in Virginia, as there's that pesky unlicensed transport issue in Pennsylvania, and a lack of preemption in West Virginia.

Post imported post

pro2A wrote:

Edit: I'd prefer to have the event in either VA, PA or WV where OC is legal and/or more accepted.
    +1 on the area.

Opt-Out Members

Post imported post

I'am for it!

Founder's Club Member longwatch's Avatar

Post imported post

Opps posted this in General without looking, but more people will see it too.

Post imported post

Depends when and where. I'm 6.5 mos pregnant, don't want to travel too much later on down the road. But if its in Nova we're in. And we're happy to lend couches and blow up mats to out of towners who may want to spend the night.

Good idea and please keep us updated.

Post imported post

Not to be a complete hometown guy...but I think Pittsburgh would be a optimal spot for such a gathering. Not just because I live here but for several reasons.

First, Pittsburgh is pretty centrally located to the states you had mentioned, WV, OH, VA, NY, DE and MD.

Secondly, PA is an open carry state and Pittsburgh doesnt have need for a permit to OC like Philadelphia. MD and NY are out, andWV and DE don't have full statepreemption. Now, while PA may not be a gold star state like VA, perhaps that fact would help us drum up some more press. Especially for our norther friends who like to think that armed citizens are relegated to the south and west.

Thirdly, Pittsburgh is a pretty nice city and there is actually a great many things to do here so it would be a nice vacation for those willing to make the travel.

Lastly, did I mention I live here? Why is that important? Well, once you meet me you'll find out! :celebrate

Post imported post

Prophet wrote:
    Not to be a complete hometown guy...but I think Pittsburgh would be a optimal spot for such a gathering. Not just because I live here but for several reasons.

First, Pittsburgh is pretty centrally located to the states you had mentioned, WV, OH, VA, NY, DE and MD.

Secondly, PA is an open carry state and Pittsburgh doesnt have need for a permit to OC like Philadelphia. MD and NY are out, andWV and DE don't have full statepreemption. Now, while PA may not be a gold star state like VA, perhaps that fact would help us drum up some more press. Especially for our norther friends who like to think that armed citizens are relegated to the south and west.

Thirdly, Pittsburgh is a pretty nice city and there is actually a great many things to do here so it would be a nice vacation for those willing to make the travel.

Lastly, did I mention I live here? Why is that important? Well, once you meet me you'll find out! :celebrate
    Someone mentioned VA simply for the reason that pesky little car carry thing in PA w/o a permit. I do agree tho the Pittsburgh area would be a good central location esp. if we are to attract people from Ohio.

Post imported post

How far in advance are you planning on this thing being? It would be better if you gave a few weeks notice when you post the location so people that are traveling can make plans .

State Researcher

Post imported post

Let us DE folk know well in advance.

Delaware Open Carry
    http://www.deloc.org/

Post imported post

Someone find a spot as close to the border as you can. Less travel for the majority. Go from there. Pick a state that will give the majority of us the most leeway to OC with the least hassel while traveling.

Post imported post

I'm already working on getting in contact with various groups. If anyone knows any groups from NJ, NY or WV that would be great.

Once I can get in contact with group leaders, we can arrange a date, place and time. My idea was sometime around Labor Day

Post imported post

I've got the time but, with gas prices these days, am not interested in much travel.

Y'all have my moral support though.

Post imported post

Prophet wrote:

I'm definately in for a Pittsburgh meeting (live here too) If things dont work with the multi-state thing I would be interested in setting up a local pittsburgh get together.

State Researcher

Post imported post

There's only one major City in Delaware that isn't preempted, along with one or two other very small towns of which we're aware, not to mention that no license is required to transport your firearm in Delaware.

Outside of that, you may wish to narrow the scope of the gathering or even split it up into two gatherings, perhaps?

For us folks in Delaware, Pittsburgh is a 5 1/2 hour drive -- spending 12 hours on the road for a 2-3 hour event won't be high on anyone's priority list, I'm sure.

Perhaps a SEPA (Allentown/Bucks/Lancaster/Harrisburgh), DE, MD/DC, NOVA -- all of these locations are within 2 - 2 1/2 hours of Delaware. I don't want to seem like I'm pushing our state for the location; however, Between VA and PA is DE -- MD is certainly out of the picture.

Then perhaps a CPA/WPA/WV for the folks who are a bit further out... I'm thinking a mass gathering of that proportion, especially considering fuel rates, can be cost prohibative.

Post imported post

My thoughts are if we keep it between PA, WV, MD, VA, NJ and DE we could have a better turnout because it wouldn't be over a larger geographical area. If we added NY and OH it take longer for most people to go because we'd have to move away from DE and NJ, so they'll opt not to go. If we decide on York or that general area then most people from NoVA, MD, NJ, DE and most of East PA would have to travel is 2 hours tops, and thus a greater turnout. Maybe this time leave NY and OH out of the mix.

As you can see York is pretty central to all the areas mentioned above.

Founder's Club Member longwatch's Avatar

Post imported post

I was kinda imagining Harrisburg, Gettysburg, or York, as being good candidates, or even more westernly, Pittsburg might be a bit far but possible.

Post imported post

If it's in York, I'll be there!

Post imported post

Eastern PA and I'm there.

Post imported post

Harrisburg, being the capitol would be politicaly ideal. City hall in Philly where they wrote and signed the Constitution would be significant as well.

We'd have less problems with the police in Harrisburg but maybe Philly, thinking they can abdicate from the state of PA, might be bigger news.

I could make either place. But it would be hard for those aroung Pittsburg to make it to Philly. Might need to rent a bus or two.

With VA being a large state we could lose many from that state as well.

Guess a special permit from Washington DC is impossible.

To bad Maryland doesn't respect anyones rights.

Delaware is just to small and nobody would notice. That and we don't even have a network TV station. Just satelite branches for the Philly stations.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

if it is in PA, loaded carry thru MD is a no-no.. right.. We could have it in Northern VA!
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Post imported post

Each place has problems and good points. Where I know people from VA could come to PA with their LTCF, people from MD and DEwould have that pesky car transport law... unless of course they had a FL non-res or something like it.Thats why I'm thinking more towards NoVA. The transport laws would be easier for everyone, and you'd only have to transport thru MD and once you get to VA your legal without a LTCF.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

are you thinking a picnic or a restaurant?
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Post imported post

Either or... it really makes no difference to me.I'm fine with either a picnic or restaurant.I do know we need to get moving on this if we want to make it work. Sooner or later we need to decide on a place and time. I'm thinking Labor Day weekend. I plan on emailing a few people I've been talking to like leaders from the VCDL, PAFOA, MD Shall issue, Marylandshooters.com and DE Open Carry and decide on a place and time, then from there we can gain interest in our respective states. I'm thinking of having an online yahoo chat room some night next week after the holiday so anyone who wishes to help can throw out ideas and we can all decide on this. As of now I have had no response from anyone in NJ or WV… anyone who wishes to make the trip from those statesare welcome to join us, but as of now this meet is going to be a PA, MD, DE and PA event.

Post imported post

pro2A wrote:
    Either or... it really makes no difference to me.I'm fine with either a picnic or restaurant.I do know we need to get moving on this if we want to make it work. Sooner or later we need to decide on a place and time. I'm thinking Labor Day weekend. I plan on emailing a few people I've been talking to like leaders from the VCDL, PAFOA, MD Shall issue, Marylandshooters.com and DE Open Carry and decide on a place and time, then from there we can gain interest in our respective states. I'm thinking of having an online yahoo chat room some night next week after the holiday so anyone who wishes to help can throw out ideas and we can all decide on this. As of now I have had no response from anyone in NJ or WV… anyone who wishes to make the trip from those statesare welcome to join us, but as of now this meet is going to be a PA, MD, DE and PA event.
    You forgot VA! :P

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast