• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Multi-state OC event.

Would you attend a multi-state OC event

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • There is good possibility

• Probably not

• Would not be interested/No

• Total voters

pro2A

imported post

As a member of the Pennsylvania Firearms Owners Association I have been interested in having a multi-state (mid-Atlantic) regional meet/lunch. I wish to get in contact with members of the Virginia Citizens Defense League,Maryland Shall Issue and various other pro-gun state organizations like ours around the region (West Virginia, Ohio, New York and Delaware) and pick a central place to meet for a picnic or a lunch sometime in the future. I know it'll be tough to coordinate, but with the right people I'm sure it could be done. Anyone care to help or have any thoughts on this?

Edit: I'd prefer to have the event in either VA, PA or WV where OC is legal and/or more accepted.

imperialism2024

imported post

I'm open to it, but the only days I'm certain to have off are Sundays. Otherwise, I won't really know if I have off of work until about a week beforehand.

I'd put in a vote for having the event in Virginia, as there's that pesky unlicensed transport issue in Pennsylvania, and a lack of preemption in West Virginia.

Harper1227

imported post

Depends when and where. I'm 6.5 mos pregnant, don't want to travel too much later on down the road. But if its in Nova we're in. And we're happy to lend couches and blow up mats to out of towners who may want to spend the night.

Good idea and please keep us updated.

Prophet

imported post

Not to be a complete hometown guy...but I think Pittsburgh would be a optimal spot for such a gathering. Not just because I live here but for several reasons.

First, Pittsburgh is pretty centrally located to the states you had mentioned, WV, OH, VA, NY, DE and MD.

Secondly, PA is an open carry state and Pittsburgh doesnt have need for a permit to OC like Philadelphia. MD and NY are out, andWV and DE don't have full statepreemption. Now, while PA may not be a gold star state like VA, perhaps that fact would help us drum up some more press. Especially for our norther friends who like to think that armed citizens are relegated to the south and west.

Thirdly, Pittsburgh is a pretty nice city and there is actually a great many things to do here so it would be a nice vacation for those willing to make the travel.

Lastly, did I mention I live here? Why is that important? Well, once you meet me you'll find out! :celebrate

pro2A

imported post

Prophet wrote:
Not to be a complete hometown guy...but I think Pittsburgh would be a optimal spot for such a gathering. Not just because I live here but for several reasons.

First, Pittsburgh is pretty centrally located to the states you had mentioned, WV, OH, VA, NY, DE and MD.

Secondly, PA is an open carry state and Pittsburgh doesnt have need for a permit to OC like Philadelphia. MD and NY are out, andWV and DE don't have full statepreemption. Now, while PA may not be a gold star state like VA, perhaps that fact would help us drum up some more press. Especially for our norther friends who like to think that armed citizens are relegated to the south and west.

Thirdly, Pittsburgh is a pretty nice city and there is actually a great many things to do here so it would be a nice vacation for those willing to make the travel.

Lastly, did I mention I live here? Why is that important? Well, once you meet me you'll find out! :celebrate
Someone mentioned VA simply for the reason that pesky little car carry thing in PA w/o a permit. I do agree tho the Pittsburgh area would be a good central location esp. if we are to attract people from Ohio.

xd.40

imported post

How far in advance are you planning on this thing being? It would be better if you gave a few weeks notice when you post the location so people that are traveling can make plans :lol:.

mtbkski

imported post

Someone find a spot as close to the border as you can. Less travel for the majority. Go from there. Pick a state that will give the majority of us the most leeway to OC with the least hassel while traveling.

pro2A

imported post

I'm already working on getting in contact with various groups. If anyone knows any groups from NJ, NY or WV that would be great.

Once I can get in contact with group leaders, we can arrange a date, place and time. My idea was sometime around Labor Day

ne1

imported post

I've got the time but, with gas prices these days, am not interested in much travel.

Y'all have my moral support though.

AmPitbullTerrier

imported post

Prophet wrote:

I'm definately in for a Pittsburgh meeting (live here too) If things dont work with the multi-state thing I would be interested in setting up a local pittsburgh get together.

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

There's only one major City in Delaware that isn't preempted, along with one or two other very small towns of which we're aware, not to mention that no license is required to transport your firearm in Delaware.

Outside of that, you may wish to narrow the scope of the gathering or even split it up into two gatherings, perhaps?

For us folks in Delaware, Pittsburgh is a 5 1/2 hour drive -- spending 12 hours on the road for a 2-3 hour event won't be high on anyone's priority list, I'm sure.

Perhaps a SEPA (Allentown/Bucks/Lancaster/Harrisburgh), DE, MD/DC, NOVA -- all of these locations are within 2 - 2 1/2 hours of Delaware. I don't want to seem like I'm pushing our state for the location; however, Between VA and PA is DE -- MD is certainly out of the picture.

Then perhaps a CPA/WPA/WV for the folks who are a bit further out... I'm thinking a mass gathering of that proportion, especially considering fuel rates, can be cost prohibative.

pro2A

imported post

My thoughts are if we keep it between PA, WV, MD, VA, NJ and DE we could have a better turnout because it wouldn't be over a larger geographical area. If we added NY and OH it take longer for most people to go because we'd have to move away from DE and NJ, so they'll opt not to go. If we decide on York or that general area then most people from NoVA, MD, NJ, DE and most of East PA would have to travel is 2 hours tops, and thus a greater turnout. Maybe this time leave NY and OH out of the mix.

midmapym6.png

As you can see York is pretty central to all the areas mentioned above.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I was kinda imagining Harrisburg, Gettysburg, or York, as being good candidates, or even more westernly, Pittsburg might be a bit far but possible.

stephpd

imported post

Harrisburg, being the capitol would be politicaly ideal. City hall in Philly where they wrote and signed the Constitution would be significant as well.

We'd have less problems with the police in Harrisburg but maybe Philly, thinking they can abdicate from the state of PA, might be bigger news.

I could make either place. But it would be hard for those aroung Pittsburg to make it to Philly. Might need to rent a bus or two.

With VA being a large state we could lose many from that state as well.

Guess a special permit from Washington DC is impossible.

To bad Maryland doesn't respect anyones rights.

Delaware is just to small and nobody would notice. That and we don't even have a network TV station. Just satelite branches for the Philly stations.