Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Court Ruling Question

Post imported post

I know that the supreme court ruled that guns could not be restricted from the persons home. Could this include a rented apartment on a college campus where they do not allow me to keep a pistol because its on school grounds?

Post imported post

Izzle wrote:
    I know that the supreme court ruled that guns could not be restricted from the persons home. Could this include a rented apartment on a college campus where they do not allow me to keep a pistol because its on school grounds?
    Well off campus your apartment is your home. But the SCOTUS did exempt schools as places that could be restricted, so probably not.

Post imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
    But the SCOTUS did exempt schools as places that could be restricted
    Chances are very good they meant primary and secondary schools, not post-secondary like a college. This one's ripe for a test case.

--

Post imported post

John Hardin wrote:
    Bear 45/70 wrote:
    But the SCOTUS did exempt schools as places that could be restricted
    Chances are very good they meant primary and secondary schools, not post-secondary like a college. This one's ripe for a test case.

--
    When I read thru the decision (did anybody ever tell them about wordiness?), I saw nothing that differentiated primary, secondary and colleges in to separate categories. It just said schools.

Post imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
    When I read thru the decision (did anybody ever tell them about wordiness?), I saw nothing that differentiated primary, secondary and colleges in to separate categories. It just said schools.
    C'mon Bear, 157 pages wordy? We have posts on this board that approach that

Although they didn't differentiate, schools generally refers to primary/elementary/secondary. Usually if they mean schools and universities they will say "s & u". I would also think that since there have been federal laws and state laws dealing with schools that have only targeted children schools that is the meaning. AFAIK there have been no federal laws that have ever prohibited guns on universities.

Post imported post

There may be no federal laws that prohibit firearms on college campuses, but there are laws, administrative codes, college codes of conduct ad infinitum that apply to college and university campuses.

Why are you guys even debating this?

Post imported post

Dave Workman wrote:
    Its summer, school is out, I have nothing better to do. Can't speak for Bear.

Post imported post

It's bingo time at Bear's old folk's home :celebrate

Post imported post

heresolong wrote:
    Dave Workman wrote:
    Its summer, school is out, I have nothing better to do. Can't speak for Bear.
    Why not. If you don't wanna follow this subject then don't. Would have responded earlier but been gone all evening, took the wife out to dinner and a movie.

State Researcher

Post imported post

Holo wrote:
    I know of some of them old folks Bear hangs out with, I think their idea of Bingo involves large bore rifles and handguns that will take out most if not all North American game... :P

"I just punched a bullet clean through that b'ar and halfway into that oak tree! BINGO!!"

Post imported post

Hah. What little I've seen of Bear reminds me of my Granddad back before he passed. Army DS for about 25+ years.

Post imported post

What about a university-run apartment located off campus?

Post imported post

Dr. Fresh wrote:
    What about a university-run apartment located off campus?

If they currently have a written policy against firearms I would wait for the results of the SF ban case (city run low income housing which bans firarms). If the courts overturn this ban then you have great precedent for filing a suit against the university on your apartment complex.

Post imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
    Holo wrote:
    I know of some of them old folks Bear hangs out with, I think their idea of Bingo involves large bore rifles and handguns that will take out most if not all North American game... :P

"I just punched a bullet clean through that b'ar and halfway into that oak tree! BINGO!!"
    Here's Bear and friends idea of a bullet penetration test.

Post imported post

So, I'm counting only 6 jugs out of 14 penetrated, correct? Or, at least, there were 8 left on the board (7 standing and the last one was pushed over).

Now, since you didn't show penetration, it might have penetrated all and just blown up 6... what was the result?! *glee!*

As an aside, I'm a long-term email subscriber to The Box O' Truth.
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

Post imported post

just_a_car wrote:
    So, I'm counting only 6 jugs out of 14 penetrated, correct? Or, at least, there were 8 left on the board (7 standing and the last one was pushed over).

Now, since you didn't show penetration, it might have penetrated all and just blown up 6... what was the result?! *glee!*

You need to watch the last jug on the plank. It jumps off and falls to the ground. Reason it went to the ground, is the bullet knocked it off but did not penetrate the plastic. How do we know? Well the next to the last jug hadthrough and through holes, while all we could find on the last jug was an indentation. I watched the water leak out of the last jug standing, glub, glub,glub. That's thirteen jugs penetrated.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Is the OP talking about Wash. State Supreme Ct. or SCOTUS?

I ask because Heller did not enforce the 2A against the states.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
    just_a_car wrote:

You need to watch the last jug on the plank. It jumps off and falls to the ground. Reason it went to the ground, is the bullet knocked it off but did not penetrate the plastic. How do we know? Well the next to the last jug hadthrough and through holes, while all we could find on the last jug was an indentation. I watched the water leak out of the last jug standing, glub, glub,glub. That's thirteen jugs penetrated.
    I did watch it... thus my comment in parenthases about it. :P

Thanks for clarifying the penetration. What was that, the .45-70?
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

Post imported post

just_a_car wrote:
    Bear 45/70 wrote:
    just_a_car wrote:

I did watch it... thus my comment in parenthases about it. :P

Thanks for clarifying the penetration. What was that, the .45-70?
    Yeah, that would be a 45/70 out of a Marlin Guide gun. A 525 grain flatnose cast lead bullet at around 1000 feet per second. It out penetrated by a bunch thanthis 420 lead bullet at over 1400 fps.

Post imported post

Dang... you really know how to make a guy jealous there, Bear.

If I buy a .45-70, it's going to be a Marlin 1895 Guide gun with the compensation porting at the muzzle.

I mean, talk about a great brush gun... and if 4+1 rounds of .45-70 can't take care of it... you're Borked!
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

Post imported post

just_a_car wrote:
    Dang... you really know how to make a guy jealous there, Bear.

If I buy a .45-70, it's going to be a Marlin 1895 Guide gun with the compensation porting at the muzzle.

I mean, talk about a great brush gun... and if 4+1 rounds of .45-70 can't take care of it... you're Borked!
    Two things about the Guide Guns, the ports make them very noisy and annoying to the shooter and those around them and the ports shave lead on cast bullets. The newGuideGunsno longer have the ports.A couple of guys have shortened their Guide Guns to about 16 1/4" right behind the ports and recrowned to be rid of the ports. Several people have put full length mag tubes on their Guide Guns and now have 5+1 guns like the full length 1895s. I'm an 1895SS, 22" barrel, kind of guy. If I want short I have my Contender Super 14" in 45/70, one great handgun.

Post imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
    Two things about the Guide Guns, the ports make them very noisy and annoying to the shooter and those around them and the ports shave lead on cast bullets. The newGuideGunsno longer have the ports.A couple of guys have shortened their Guide Guns to about 16 1/4" right behind the ports and recrowned to be rid of the ports.
    Could you ream the barrel to just past the ports? I'm thinking about the National Match flash suppressors for M-14s which are slightly oversized on the ID. That would give you some of the advantages of the porting while possibly minimizing the shaving problem.

Post imported post

heresolong wrote:
    Bear 45/70 wrote:
    Two things about the Guide Guns, the ports make them very noisy and annoying to the shooter and those around them and the ports shave lead on cast bullets. The newGuideGunsno longer have the ports.A couple of guys have shortened their Guide Guns to about 16 1/4" right behind the ports and recrowned to be rid of the ports.
    Could you ream the barrel to just past the ports? I'm thinking about the National Match flash suppressors for M-14s which are slightly oversized on the ID. That would give you some of the advantages of the porting while possibly minimizing the shaving problem.
    I don't see why not, but that won't cure the excessive noise issue, just the lead shaving. The are VERY load over a non-ported guns, which is part of the reason Marlin dropped the ports.

Post imported post

Good to know Bear. I was originally thinking I wanted the ported version because of the recoil reduction of that 'stout' round.
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

Post imported post

just_a_car wrote:
    Good to know Bear. I was originally thinking I wanted the ported version because of the recoil reduction of that 'stout' round.
    There are only 3 of my 45/70 guns that reach "stout" recoils levels. My Ruger #1, my H&RModel 1871 "Buffalo Classic" and these two take 50,000 CUP loads where the Marlin is limited to 40,000 CUP loads and I never load my Marlin 19855SSthat hot. Then the one that gets real "stout" is my Contender Super 14 in 45/70, but that is mainly because it is a pistol and even though it does have a muzzle break. My normal load is a 405 grain LFN bullet out the muzzle at 1600 fps where a 40,000 CUP load is around 1900 fps. The Ruger and H&R will drivea 405 at over 2100 fps. But the kick you hard load is a 300 grain JRN at over 2500 fps. Marlins don't recoil that hardat all, even without ports and mine is a 22" barrel, at least in my experience. Maybe you should come to a local Marlin get togther/shoot and let you trya couple of the guy'sGuide Guns with and without ports?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast