• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Court Ruling Question

Izzle

imported post

I know that the supreme court ruled that guns could not be restricted from the persons home. Could this include a rented apartment on a college campus where they do not allow me to keep a pistol because its on school grounds?

Bear 45/70

imported post

Izzle wrote:
I know that the supreme court ruled that guns could not be restricted from the persons home. Could this include a rented apartment on a college campus where they do not allow me to keep a pistol because its on school grounds?
Well off campus your apartment is your home. But the SCOTUS did exempt schools as places that could be restricted, so probably not.

John Hardin

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
But the SCOTUS did exempt schools as places that could be restricted
Chances are very good they meant primary and secondary schools, not post-secondary like a college. This one's ripe for a test case.

--
Obama_Bumper_Stickers_animated.gif

Bear 45/70

imported post

John Hardin wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:
But the SCOTUS did exempt schools as places that could be restricted
Chances are very good they meant primary and secondary schools, not post-secondary like a college. This one's ripe for a test case.

--
Obama_Bumper_Stickers_animated.gif
When I read thru the decision (did anybody ever tell them about wordiness?), I saw nothing that differentiated primary, secondary and colleges in to separate categories. It just said schools.

heresolong

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
When I read thru the decision (did anybody ever tell them about wordiness?), I saw nothing that differentiated primary, secondary and colleges in to separate categories. It just said schools.
C'mon Bear, 157 pages wordy? We have posts on this board that approach that :)

Although they didn't differentiate, schools generally refers to primary/elementary/secondary. Usually if they mean schools and universities they will say "s & u". I would also think that since there have been federal laws and state laws dealing with schools that have only targeted children schools that is the meaning. AFAIK there have been no federal laws that have ever prohibited guns on universities.

Dave Workman

imported post

There may be no federal laws that prohibit firearms on college campuses, but there are laws, administrative codes, college codes of conduct ad infinitum that apply to college and university campuses.

Why are you guys even debating this?

Bear 45/70

imported post

heresolong wrote:
Dave Workman wrote:
Why are you guys even debating this?
Its summer, school is out, I have nothing better to do. Can't speak for Bear.
Why not. If you don't wanna follow this subject then don't. Would have responded earlier but been gone all evening, took the wife out to dinner and a movie.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Holo wrote:
It's bingo time at Bear's old folk's home :celebrate
I know of some of them old folks Bear hangs out with, I think their idea of Bingo involves large bore rifles and handguns that will take out most if not all North American game... :p

"I just punched a bullet clean through that b'ar and halfway into that oak tree! BINGO!!"

heresolong

imported post

Dr. Fresh wrote:
What about a university-run apartment located off campus?
If they currently have a written policy against firearms I would wait for the results of the SF ban case (city run low income housing which bans firarms). If the courts overturn this ban then you have great precedent for filing a suit against the university on your apartment complex.

Bear 45/70

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
Holo wrote:
It's bingo time at Bear's old folk's home :celebrate
I know of some of them old folks Bear hangs out with, I think their idea of Bingo involves large bore rifles and handguns that will take out most if not all North American game... :p

"I just punched a bullet clean through that b'ar and halfway into that oak tree! BINGO!!"

Here's Bear and friends idea of a bullet penetration test.

just_a_car

imported post

So, I'm counting only 6 jugs out of 14 penetrated, correct? Or, at least, there were 8 left on the board (7 standing and the last one was pushed over).

Now, since you didn't show penetration, it might have penetrated all and just blown up 6... what was the result?! *glee!*

As an aside, I'm a long-term email subscriber to The Box O' Truth.

Bear 45/70

imported post

just_a_car wrote:
So, I'm counting only 6 jugs out of 14 penetrated, correct? Or, at least, there were 8 left on the board (7 standing and the last one was pushed over).

Now, since you didn't show penetration, it might have penetrated all and just blown up 6... what was the result?! *glee!*

You need to watch the last jug on the plank. It jumps off and falls to the ground. Reason it went to the ground, is the bullet knocked it off but did not penetrate the plastic. How do we know? Well the next to the last jug hadthrough and through holes, while all we could find on the last jug was an indentation. I watched the water leak out of the last jug standing, glub, glub,glub. That's thirteen jugs penetrated.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Is the OP talking about Wash. State Supreme Ct. or SCOTUS?

I ask because Heller did not enforce the 2A against the states.

just_a_car

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
just_a_car wrote:

You need to watch the last jug on the plank. It jumps off and falls to the ground. Reason it went to the ground, is the bullet knocked it off but did not penetrate the plastic. How do we know? Well the next to the last jug hadthrough and through holes, while all we could find on the last jug was an indentation. I watched the water leak out of the last jug standing, glub, glub,glub. That's thirteen jugs penetrated.
I did watch it... thus my comment in parenthases about it. :p

Thanks for clarifying the penetration. What was that, the .45-70?

Bear 45/70

imported post

just_a_car wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:
just_a_car wrote:

I did watch it... thus my comment in parenthases about it. :p

Thanks for clarifying the penetration. What was that, the .45-70?

Yeah, that would be a 45/70 out of a Marlin Guide gun. A 525 grain flatnose cast lead bullet at around 1000 feet per second. It out penetrated by a bunch thanthis 420 lead bullet at over 1400 fps.

just_a_car

imported post

Dang... you really know how to make a guy jealous there, Bear.

If I buy a .45-70, it's going to be a Marlin 1895 Guide gun with the compensation porting at the muzzle.

I mean, talk about a great brush gun... and if 4+1 rounds of .45-70 can't take care of it... you're Borked!