• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Court Ruling Question

Bear 45/70

imported post

just_a_car wrote:
Dang... you really know how to make a guy jealous there, Bear.

If I buy a .45-70, it's going to be a Marlin 1895 Guide gun with the compensation porting at the muzzle.

I mean, talk about a great brush gun... and if 4+1 rounds of .45-70 can't take care of it... you're Borked!
Two things about the Guide Guns, the ports make them very noisy and annoying to the shooter and those around them and the ports shave lead on cast bullets. The newGuideGunsno longer have the ports.A couple of guys have shortened their Guide Guns to about 16 1/4" right behind the ports and recrowned to be rid of the ports. Several people have put full length mag tubes on their Guide Guns and now have 5+1 guns like the full length 1895s. I'm an 1895SS, 22" barrel, kind of guy. If I want short I have my Contender Super 14" in 45/70, one great handgun.

heresolong

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
Two things about the Guide Guns, the ports make them very noisy and annoying to the shooter and those around them and the ports shave lead on cast bullets. The newGuideGunsno longer have the ports.A couple of guys have shortened their Guide Guns to about 16 1/4" right behind the ports and recrowned to be rid of the ports.
Could you ream the barrel to just past the ports? I'm thinking about the National Match flash suppressors for M-14s which are slightly oversized on the ID. That would give you some of the advantages of the porting while possibly minimizing the shaving problem.

Bear 45/70

imported post

heresolong wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:
Two things about the Guide Guns, the ports make them very noisy and annoying to the shooter and those around them and the ports shave lead on cast bullets. The newGuideGunsno longer have the ports.A couple of guys have shortened their Guide Guns to about 16 1/4" right behind the ports and recrowned to be rid of the ports.
Could you ream the barrel to just past the ports? I'm thinking about the National Match flash suppressors for M-14s which are slightly oversized on the ID. That would give you some of the advantages of the porting while possibly minimizing the shaving problem.
I don't see why not, but that won't cure the excessive noise issue, just the lead shaving. The are VERY load over a non-ported guns, which is part of the reason Marlin dropped the ports.

Bear 45/70

imported post

just_a_car wrote:
Good to know Bear. I was originally thinking I wanted the ported version because of the recoil reduction of that 'stout' round.
There are only 3 of my 45/70 guns that reach "stout" recoils levels. My Ruger #1, my H&RModel 1871 "Buffalo Classic" and these two take 50,000 CUP loads where the Marlin is limited to 40,000 CUP loads and I never load my Marlin 19855SSthat hot. Then the one that gets real "stout" is my Contender Super 14 in 45/70, but that is mainly because it is a pistol and even though it does have a muzzle break. My normal load is a 405 grain LFN bullet out the muzzle at 1600 fps where a 40,000 CUP load is around 1900 fps. The Ruger and H&R will drivea 405 at over 2100 fps. But the kick you hard load is a 300 grain JRN at over 2500 fps. Marlins don't recoil that hardat all, even without ports and mine is a 22" barrel, at least in my experience. Maybe you should come to a local Marlin get togther/shoot and let you trya couple of the guy'sGuide Guns with and without ports?

just_a_car

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
just_a_car wrote:
Good to know Bear. I was originally thinking I wanted the ported version because of the recoil reduction of that 'stout' round.
There are only 3 of my 45/70 guns that reach "stout" recoils levels. My Ruger #1, my H&RModel 1871 "Buffalo Classic" and these two take 50,000 CUP loads where the Marlin is limited to 40,000 CUP loads and I never load my Marlin 19855SSthat hot. Then the one that gets real "stout" is my Contender Super 14 in 45/70, but that is mainly because it is a pistol and even though it does have a muzzle break. My normal load is a 405 grain LFN bullet out the muzzle at 1600 fps where a 40,000 CUP load is around 1900 fps. The Ruger and H&R will drivea 405 at over 2100 fps. But the kick you hard load is a 300 grain JRN at over 2500 fps. Marlins don't recoil that hardat all, even without ports and mine is a 22" barrel, at least in my experience. Maybe you should come to a local Marlin get togther/shoot and let you trya couple of the guy'sGuide Guns with and without ports?
I would love to try a few out! I'd even be willing to bring out some of my rifles to share.

As an aside, how would you rate the recoil of the Guide Gun to, say, a Mosin Nagant m91/30 or carbine, such as the m44, m38, or m91/59? I own both a 91/30 and two 91/59's and am intimately familiar with the "mule kick" of the mosin.

Bear 45/70

imported post

just_a_car wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:
just_a_car wrote:
I would love to try a few out! I'd even be willing to bring out some of my rifles to share.

As an aside, how would you rate the recoil of the Guide Gun to, say, a Mosin Nagant m91/30 or carbine, such as the m44, m38, or m91/59? I own both a 91/30 and two 91/59's and am intimately familiar with the "mule kick" of the mosin.
Steel butt plates magnify recoil a bunch. My H&R 1871 has a curved steel butt plate and will leave marks. But no -06 or 7.62X54Ris gonna recoils like a 45/70 just because the bullet is half the size.