• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Joe Horn Cleared for Shooting

NightOwl

imported post

Two knowing, aware beings that he couldn't refer to as people. People are people, regardless of race, action, disability, clothing choice, or anything else. They're still people, period.

Dustin, how is it that some people are people, and some aren't, then?

PT111

imported post

Dahwg wrote:
NightOwl wrote:
curtm1911 wrote:
=He went to sleep, maybe, that night KNOWING he had killed two sentinent beings, I can't say people, doing something he thought was the right thing to do.
What's with things these days where people suddenly are dehumanized because they committed a crime? 2nd time I've seen this in a week on these forums.Making bad choicesand committing a crime doesn't make a person not a person. By dehumanizing people it's so much easier to justify mistreating them, or overprosecuting them, or taking away their rights (obviously no longer an issue in this case), because they're not people, so those things don't apply anymore...right? They're still people, period.

Yes, I have a question. How did the humans become unhuman?
I don't read anything dehumanizing in these words. Are not humans sentient beings? Do we not feel? Are we not aware? I believe he's conveying the EXACT point yhou are making and that is, Joe Horn had to go to sleep that night knwoing that he had killed two knowing feeling, aware human beings.
Maybe the "I can't say people" was the key that brought about ths question. I don't think that curtm's post was saying that they were not human but there has been plenty of comments that they were less than human. I don't think that whether or not they were US citizen's should come into play as some suggested. Also I do not condem Mr. Horn for what he did. I was not there and I am not an expert on TX law. My opinion is that it could have been handled better especially by the ones that were killed. I do not think those who were killed were less than human, I do not revel in their death and I do not hold Mr. Horn up as a hero. They made a bad decision, they paid the ultimate price and Mr. Horn also paid a terrible price for their stupidity. None of thiswould have happened if not for those two thugs.

curtm1911

imported post

When I said "I can't say people", my reference was to all of us people, note the comma, as in I can't say people, maybe my punctuation was incorrect, but I was NOT lessening the fact that the perps were human beings. I'm sorry if my poor punctuation was a cause for missunderstanding my point, which was commented on by someone. I PRAY I NEVER have to use my Defensive Firearm in such a manner. I Do Not Ever want to have to take a life. Will I..........if mine is or my family or an innocent third party is threatened, I Will Shoot To Stop The Threat, if death occurs, I will have to live with that on my mind forever. From all accounts of the Joe Horn Incident, nobody forced these two to do what they did. They made a concious choice. So did Joe Horn. Just Pray that maybe YOU (any of you) are never in that situation and have just seconds to decide.................

Flyer22

imported post

NightOwl wrote:
curtm1911 wrote:
=He went to sleep, maybe, that night KNOWING he had killed two sentinent beings, I can't say people, doing something he thought was the right thing to do.
What's with things these days where people suddenly are dehumanized because they committed a crime? 2nd time I've seen this in a week on these forums.
You must be working really hard at that. This thread is 9 months old. I guess you have a lot of time on your hands.