• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Visiting Louisville from Texas

MBGuy

imported post

I'm from Texas and inLouisville right now visiting family. I have a concealed carry permit in Texas and carry daily, so it's strange not having to worry about keeping it covered. During my visit here I've managed to walk up and down the sidewalks in the neighborhood while OC. Strange feeling, BUT I LIKE IT! Some people drove by, but I was wearing a black t-shirt, so I doubt they saw it anyway.

One question, are liquor stores okay to carry in? In Texas you can CC in there, but I can't find anything in the Kentucky code that says no weapons in liquor stores, just the part of carrying where alcohol is consumed.

N00blet45

imported post

You can't carry into bars. Also note that there is nothing illegal about carrying into a resturant that serves alcohol, you can even be in the same room as the alcohol is being sold in. So you could carry into some place like Applebee's and even order a beer with your meal, just you can't legally go to a bar with a gun. Liquor stores are ok because they don't sell alcohol by the drink.

Here is a link to KRS 244.125 which is the statute dealing with carrying in bars.

http://www.lrc.ky.gov/KRS/244-00/125.PDF

v8shoguy

imported post

There's nothing like the feeling of walking into a liquor store, buying cigars and beer, all while armed, and nobody bats an eye :) Of course I don't consume the alcohol while armed, that could be bad news.

N00blet45

imported post

I've only carried once when I went to a liquor store, since it was the only time I've been to a liquor store in Kentucky. It was right outside of Hazard. The clerk asked me why I had a gun on my hip and I told him that there are crazy people out there and that I should protect myself. He then told me about how someone was murdered by a hitchhiker not too long ago and he agreed with me on carrying a gun for protection. He also gave me a free bottle of wine.

MBGuy

imported post

Thanks for the responses. I didn't have an answer when I went to the liquor store, so I concealed. Just to make sure, we're all talking about OC, right? I went in there concealed, which is no bigee in Texas, I was wanting to go in there OCing.

Also just to make sure, I'm wanting to go to Bufallo Wild Wings in Lousville for lunch some time this week, and in Houston they serve alcohol. As long as I sit in a regular table, I should be fine right? As you can imagine, this is first time for me, so I'm a bit apprehensive.

Thanks,

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

My understanding is that you are fine as long as you don't sit in the area primarily designated for alcohol, ie the bar. I have OC at a BWW in KY with no issues, although not in Louisville.

reefteach

imported post

The best 2 parts of KY law, from an Ohio perspective, are the following:

1. The "gunbuster" signs have no legal weight. You can go in armed, but must leave if asked.

2. You can carry in a descent restaurant.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
imported post

N00blet45 wrote:
I've only carried once when I went to a liquor store, since it was the only time I've been to a liquor store in Kentucky. It was right outside of Hazard. The clerk asked me why I had a gun on my hip and I told him that there are crazy people out there and that I should protect myself. He then told me about how someone was murdered by a hitchhiker not too long ago and he agreed with me on carrying a gun for protection. He also gave me a free bottle of wine.
Hazard? Man, I miss Kentucky. My parents were born there, and my dad grew up not too far from Hazard. Last time I was even in Kentucky was 2005, I was driving a company vehicle back from New Orleans. I really miss that, and Indiana. ;)