• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First Open Carry experience last night

GPossenti

imported post

I bought an XD45c a couple of weeks ago.

Last night, the wife and I took the dog for a walk and I wore my XD on my hip in the 4-5 o'clock position with the holster which came with the XD. I wore a black t-shirt to minimize the visibility.

I was a little skiddish at first, but felt much better by the time we rounded the corner on our way home.

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Congrastulations! I'd love to walk the dog around my block while carrying. Unfortunately, the southern boundary of my property is also the 1000 foot mark from a school. Nevermind that there are several houses in between, stepping into that Gun Free School Zone is a definite problem. For now, walking in the other direction and back will suffice.

ETA: Might I add that I suggest you purchase and use a retention holster of some sort. The XD Gear holster is OK for the range, but it's too easy for someone to disarm you.

WhiteRabbit22

imported post

Yes, SERPA's are very nice, with the paddle attachment they are perfect for OC, and barely noticeable. I carry an XD45 service, and I weigh about 130lbs, and I barely notice it's hanging from my hip, so I can imagine how light the XD45c is.

buttanic

imported post

XD-GEM wrote:
Good choice. I use a Blackhawk SERPA myself. I bought it at Cabella's in Gonzales.
I was in Cabela's a couple of weeks ago looking for one and couldn't find any. I asked one of the sales guys behind the gun counter and he got that deer in the headlight look and he just pointed me to where I had been looking.

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

buttanic wrote:
XD-GEM wrote:
Good choice. I use a Blackhawk SERPA myself. I bought it at Cabella's in Gonzales.
I was in Cabela's a couple of weeks ago looking for one and couldn't find any. I asked one of the sales guys behind the gun counter and he got that deer in the headlight look and he just pointed me to where I had been looking.

I almost missed them myself. They were not on the same aisle as the other holsters. If they haven't moved them, you'll find them hanging in a side facing display at the end of the aisle that is at the far right end of the pistol counter (as you look at the pistol counter), near the cash register. There's a support pole partly blocking the gap between the register and the display. Anther way of looking at it is that it was the closest display island to the long gun racks towards the front end of the store.

Hope you can find them.

buttanic

imported post

XD-GEM wrote:
buttanic wrote:
XD-GEM wrote:
I almost missed them myself. They were not on the same aisle as the other holsters. If they haven't moved them, you'll find them hanging in a side facing display at the end of the aisle that is at the far right end of the pistol counter (as you look at the pistol counter), near the cash register. There's a support pole partly blocking the gap between the register and the display. Anther way of looking at it is that it was the closest display island to the long gun racks towards the front end of the store.

Hope you can find them.
I looked in that area and didn't see any. Next time I'm there I will check again.

GPossenti

imported post

It finally came! My birthday is here and my wife DID buy the SERPA holster for me. I feel like a 5 year old who just got his first bike, but hasn't ridden without training wheels. Although my apprehension comes not from the possibility of dangerous situations, but how others will act around me.

My friends and family, except my dad and uncle, always ask "why do you want to carry a gun around"? They seem to think being killed in a shooting is as likely as being struck by lightning and that you can't protect yourself from it. It's something they'll just need to get used to.

carrynottarry

imported post

Good for you! I've been open carrying a Keltec PF9 in an Uncle Mike's holster. I've also taken a conceal carry course..qualified on the range passed a background checkand am waiting for my permit. But, until it does..like you..I elect to not be helpless victim. So, I've open carried with much acceptance for the most part. So glad I live in an open carry state.Wish you all had the same ability to do so.

turbodog

imported post

carrynottarry wrote:
Good for you! I've been open carrying a Keltec PF9 in an Uncle Mike's holster. I've also taken a conceal carry course..qualified on the range passed a background checkand am waiting for my permit. But, until it does..like you..I elect to not be helpless victim. So, I've open carried with much acceptance for the most part. So glad I live in an open carry state.Wish you all had the same ability to do so.
But we do bro. Looziana is an open carry state. Unless I misunderstood what you meant.

Welcome to OCDO.

carrynottarry

imported post

This forum is an excellent resource for second amendment supporters of which I am one.Does anyone have any advice to postfor us as we inevitably will at some time find ourselves in a conversation in which thethe militia versus individual's rght to keep and bear arms is broached.

Keep up the good work!

Slidell Jim

imported post

Slidell Jim <----- grabs popcorn too.:quirky....

Edit: Slidell Jim also takes notice that the OP was from almost 2yrs ago.