Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: Hit this poll on the Atlanta Airport gun ban repeal!

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    949

    Post imported post

    UPDATE: Hit this poll: http://www.ajc.com/business/content/...ge_tab_newstab






    MEDIA ADVISORY Contact: Herschel Grangent
    June 30, 2008 (404) 925-6815




    Atlanta Mayor, Airport GM Declare Airport a Gun-Free Zone


    WHO: Mayor Shirley Franklin, City of Atlanta, Hartsfield-Jackson General Manager Ben DeCosta

    WHAT: On the first day that House Bill 89 becomes law Atlanta’s mayor and Hartsfield-Jackson’s aviation general manager will discuss their position on the bill and how it will affect the Airport at a 10 a.m. press conference in the Airport’s atrium.

    Legislation signed on May 14, 2008 expanded the rights of citizens who have Georgia firearm licenses. This law gives Georgia residents with firearm licenses permission to bring concealed weapons onto public transportation, in parks and recreational areas and into restaurants that serve alcohol.


    WHEN: Tuesday, July 1, 2008, 10 a.m.

    WHERE: Airport Atrium Clock Tower
    6000 North Terminal Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30320



    # # #


  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    949

    Post imported post

    http://www.georgiacarry.org/cms/2008...-by-state-law/

    GCO is determined to take action!



    The latest is the the airport general manager is threating to have Rep. Tim Bearden, the author of the bill, arrested if he comes on airport property legally carrying his firearm.

  3. #3
    Moderator / Administrator
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    8,711

    Post imported post

    The press release is incorrect - HB 89 gives permit holders the right to carry openly or concealed in airports, restaurants, and busses, right?

  4. #4
    Moderator / Administrator
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    8,711

    Post imported post

    Malum - are you going to try to open carry at this press conference in the airport??

  5. #5
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator Gray Peterson's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Lynnwood, Washington, USA
    Posts
    2,238

    Post imported post

    He can't. Georgia's "public gathering" law would still apply.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Dallas, Georgia, USA
    Posts
    26

    Post imported post

    Lonnie Wilson wrote:
    He can't. Georgia's "public gathering" law would still apply.
    Correct, Malum would be disallowed from carrying at the press conference. Bearden and Malum, however, can carry so long as they does not enter a prohibited area or attempt to carry at the press conference.

    Guys, be smart. Do not carry at places where it is questionably legal for you to do so. Wait until Tim Bearden clears it up first, then follow his example if no harm comes of him. No sense getting arrested and charged with a misdemeanor for no reason.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
    Posts
    3,806

    Post imported post

    Hey! Jonas....

    Good to have you here, man.

    Don't worry, the OCDO crowd knows how to handle themselves.
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Flowery Branch, Georgia, USA
    Posts
    16

    Post imported post

    How about some sort of protest at the airport. I am tired of Shirley Franklin's mouth.

    I will keep my gun at home when she gives her body guards sling shots instead of firearms.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
    Posts
    3,806

    Post imported post

    Any word on if Bearden has stopped by the airport yet?
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Dallas, Georgia, USA
    Posts
    26

    Post imported post

    I've been listening to the radio since I woke up. So far, just talk of Bearden saying he's going to sue the city. I'm not sure if he went through with going to the airport armed, but it could come later in the day. Nothing on the TV news stations about it.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Alpharetta, Georgia, USA
    Posts
    178

    Post imported post

    These days just the threat of lawsuit gives the anti folks a cause to back down, i.e. City of Milton.

    I read a few peoples comments on other sites, saying why would any one want to carry to the airport? my answer being why not? we are lawful and don't feel the need to disarm re-arm, we want to just go about our business.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Herndon, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    336

    Post imported post

    According to the AJC, Bearden is going to let the court settle it. I think the Airport manager and Atlanta's mayor are pretty muched hosed on this one.

    http://www.ajc.com/business/content/...ge_tab_newstab

    --RedKnightt--

    Zombie Squad has it right: "We hold fast to the belief that if you are prepared for a scenario where the walking corpses of your family and neighbors are trying to eat you alive, you will be prepared for almost anything."

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    949

    Post imported post

    Lonnie Wilson wrote:
    He can't. Georgia's "public gathering" law would still apply.
    No, it would not. That is what the City of Atlanta is claiming, but if that were true then everybody checking a firearm in baggage would be arrested.

    You cannot even get on a MARTA train without entering a public building.

    Please keep in mind that HB 89 had as its last section a repeal of all laws and parts of laws in conflict with HB 89.

  14. #14
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Bear, Delaware, USA
    Posts
    1,241

    Post imported post

    Malum Prohibitum wrote:
    Lonnie Wilson wrote:
    He can't. Georgia's "public gathering" law would still apply.
    No, it would not. That is what the City of Atlanta is claiming, but if that were true then everybody checking a firearm in baggage would be arrested.

    You cannot even get on a MARTA train without entering a public building.

    Please keep in mind that HB 89 had as its last section a repeal of all laws and parts of laws in conflict with HB 89.
    Reading the case law, there's a distinction made between a "public gathering" and a "public place" -- ultimately, the gathering happens in a public place, but it's most likely going to be a matter of narrow opinion when it comes to defining it.

    For instance, though McDonald's is a public place and people gather there, it is not a public gathering as interpreted by the courts; however, church services, sporting events and (I'd opine) a press conference probably would be considered as such.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Alpharetta, Georgia, USA
    Posts
    178

    Post imported post

    can someone point out where in georgia code 16-11-127 it says anything about public gathering, i can't see anything. The only place I see it is on the back on my GFL. But, it also says that if you do carry in to a public gathering, i.e. airport, if you tell LEO right away, its a defence against prosecution. so therefore, the ban at the airport being based upon 16-11-127 is thus flawed. i wouldn't personally push the argument at the airport, but their basis is flimsy.




  16. #16
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Bear, Delaware, USA
    Posts
    1,241

    Post imported post

    exgabrit wrote:
    can someone point out where in georgia code 16-11-127 it says anything about public gathering, i can't see anything. The only place I see it is on the back on my GFL. But, it also says that if you do carry in to a public gathering, i.e. airport, if you tell LEO right away, its a defence against prosecution. so therefore, the ban at the airport being based upon 16-11-127 is thus flawed. i wouldn't personally push the argument at the airport, but their basis is flimsy.
    According to the case law that was presented by GeorgiaCarry, an airport is not a public gathering. People do not go to the airport to gather where as they do for church services or a sporting event, for example.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Alpharetta, Georgia, USA
    Posts
    178

    Post imported post

    I actually looked "gathering" up in the dictionary, it just says group or crowd basically. if we go by that, we can't go outside our four walls.

    my interpretation is that it's a collective group of like minded people who generally know each other, although likeminded doesn't mean everyone is grouped as travelers on planes.

    Wynder wrote:
    exgabrit wrote:
    can someone point out where in georgia code 16-11-127 it says anything about public gathering, i can't see anything. The only place I see it is on the back on my GFL. But, it also says that if you do carry in to a public gathering, i.e. airport, if you tell LEO right away, its a defence against prosecution. so therefore, the ban at the airport being based upon 16-11-127 is thus flawed. i wouldn't personally push the argument at the airport, but their basis is flimsy.
    According to the case law that was presented by GeorgiaCarry, an airport is not a public gathering. People do not go to the airport to gather where as they do for church services or a sporting event, for example.

  18. #18
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Bear, Delaware, USA
    Posts
    1,241

    Post imported post

    exgabrit wrote:
    I actually looked "gathering" up in the dictionary, it just says group or crowd basically. if we go by that, we can't go outside our four walls.

    my interpretation is that it's a collective group of like minded people who generally know each other, although likeminded doesn't mean everyone is grouped as travelers on planes.
    Firstly, you'll want to use the two words in conjunction with another because "gathering" really isn't a legal term -- I pulled my copy of Black's Law Dictionary (8th Edition) from the shelf, and it doesn't even define the word. Phrases like these are defined in the statutes themselves or, if they aren't, they're defined by court decisions.

    For instance, in State v. Burns, 200 Ga. App. 16 (1991), the court held that arrest of a person with a firearms license for carrying a deadly weapon to a McDonalds was not carrying to a public gathering, even if people did gather around the person carrying.

    But please trust when I say that, when it comes to matters that have legal ramifications, get your interpretations from laws and court rulings -- researching State v. Burns would be a great place to start.

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Alpharetta, Georgia, USA
    Posts
    178

    Post imported post

    I actually looked up state v burns the other day, didn't put 2 and 2 together.
    If it went to court, Atlanta Airport I think is on the loosing side before the opening statements have finished.

    Wynder wrote:
    exgabrit wrote:
    I actually looked "gathering" up in the dictionary, it just says group or crowd basically. if we go by that, we can't go outside our four walls.

    my interpretation is that it's a collective group of like minded people who generally know each other, although likeminded doesn't mean everyone is grouped as travelers on planes.
    Firstly, you'll want to use the two words in conjunction with another because "gathering" really isn't a legal term -- I pulled my copy of Black's Law Dictionary (8th Edition) from the shelf, and it doesn't even define the word. Phrases like these are defined in the statutes themselves or, if they aren't, they're defined by court decisions.

    For instance, in State v. Burns, 200 Ga. App. 16 (1991), the court held that arrest of a person with a firearms license for carrying a deadly weapon to a McDonalds was not carrying to a public gathering, even if people did gather around the person carrying.

    But please trust when I say that, when it comes to matters that have legal ramifications, get your interpretations from laws and court rulings -- researching State v. Burns would be a great place to start.

  20. #20
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Bear, Delaware, USA
    Posts
    1,241

    Post imported post

    exgabrit wrote:
    I actually looked up state v burns the other day, didn't put 2 and 2 together.
    If it went to court, Atlanta Airport I think is on the loosing side before the opening statements have finished.
    You think?

    Granted, I don't live in Georgia -- but in most every other state, the non-secure zones of the airport are fair game for law-abiding gun owners. I'd think that as long as the plaintiff could prove that the intent of the airport is not for the congregation of people, they'd be golden.

    Granted, people wind up getting stuck in the airport, but that's not the intent nor purpose. No doubt it would be an uphill battle from a public policy standpoint, but the judiciary in Georgia seems to be following the Constitution and interpreting the law if GeorgiaCarry's lawsuits are any indication.

    I'd definitely keep my hopes up for you guys.

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Alpharetta, Georgia, USA
    Posts
    178

    Post imported post

    I think the next few months is going to be a good time for the law abiding gun owners.
    I hope that some of this publicity filters its way back to groups in my native UK and try and get some justice dished out !

    Wynder wrote:
    exgabrit wrote:
    I actually looked up state v burns the other day, didn't put 2 and 2 together.
    If it went to court, Atlanta Airport I think is on the loosing side before the opening statements have finished.
    You think?

    Granted, I don't live in Georgia -- but in most every other state, the non-secure zones of the airport are fair game for law-abiding gun owners. I'd think that as long as the plaintiff could prove that the intent of the airport is not for the congregation of people, they'd be golden.

    Granted, people wind up getting stuck in the airport, but that's not the intent nor purpose. No doubt it would be an uphill battle from a public policy standpoint, but the judiciary in Georgia seems to be following the Constitution and interpreting the law if GeorgiaCarry's lawsuits are any indication.

    I'd definitely keep my hopes up for you guys.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •