• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Texas KSWO News story on open cary movement - with pro-OC comment by police officer!

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

http://www.kswo.com/Global/story.asp?S=8581035

See video link

Some Texans want open carry law for firearms

June 30, 2008 06:30 PM EDT

Burkburnett_As if concealed carry permits weren't enough, some Texans are pushing for the right to openly bear arms in public. The group is called "Open Carry," and they have started an online petition calling for legislation from lawmakers. 7News talked to some Texans about the petition, and the reaction seems to be split.

The proposed legislation would have a stipulation - if it were to pass, Texans still would be unable to carry guns openly in places where law prohibits it. One argument in favor of the legislation says that open carrying would be a deterrent - that if a criminal saw someone wielding a firearm, they may be less likely to commit a crime. "People that may be coming in to rob stores or do harm, if they see a gun, they may not bother other people," said Texas resident Kyle Avey.

Those opposed say they are worried that Texas would turn into the gun-slinging wild west, and that there aren't that many people who are responsible enough for this type of legislation. "People are going to be trying to, you know, show it off more than anything," said Texas resident Daniel Sales.

Law enforcement officers also have mixed emotions. "I think it's up in the air right now as far as the opinion goes about if it's good or bad," says Burkburnett Police Sergeant Sean Lam. He says he feels that the legislation may be intimidating and cause too much fear, but he also thinks it may be beneficial. "If a proposed criminal is thinking about something or committing a crime, and they see somebody maybe carrying that weapon in the open, they may think twice about it."

The online petition is quickly growing, and now has almost 17,000 signatures. Activists are working toward more signatures before the upcoming session of legislature. Texas once had open carrying of firearms, but it was outlawed in the 1880s. As of today, no bill has been drafted allowing open carrying.

Count on 7News to keep you updated.

Liko81

Founder's Club Member
imported post

JosephMingle wrote:
Same arguments, different state.
You were expecting something new from the antis?

Quite frankly, it is insulting to me that a fellow Texan would insinuate that I cannot be trusted to OC a firearm, or that I regard it as amasculine extension. "Show it off"? Did the guy not see the Nightline story? Not ONE of the OCers interviewed EVER unholstered their firearm, even when prompted to "show it off". If he's worried about a bunch of guys carrying chrome Desert Eagles in clear plastic holsters, I think he can rest assured that is NOT going to happen.

There is a well-known phenomenon in psychology; given imperfect information, people make generalizations that allow them to decide on a course of action. It's perfectly normal; if we had to know everything about everything before deciding what to do on a daily basis we would be in a constant state of mental paralysis. One of the most common generalizations is "similar to me"; if I do not know another person's likes, dislikes, opinions or mannerisms, I will assume that those traits are similar to my own if I need that information to make a decision. For instance, if I do not know my S.O.'s favorite flavor of ice cream when I'm grocery shopping (and for some reason can't just call her up; say it's a surprise), I will combine my own likes and dislikes withanything Ido know about her likes and dislikes in order to pick.

However, this isa form of attribution fallacy when used to make an argument for or against something in the general case.The lineis crossed when the generalization you make in order to make a decision as to your own actions is then used to attempt to govern my own. To say that I should not carry because you wouldn't carry is like saying I can't eat pistachio ice cream because you don't like it.

The antis use this line of reasoning because it is so common in our daily lives, and thus people do not recognize it as fallacious. You make your decisions however you want, and I will make mine in the same fashion. If we come to different conclusions, guess what? That's fine. In fact, that is a very GOOD thing, because if everyone agreed on everything we would not progress; the accepted way of doing things must be challenged from time to time, and either further supported as the best wayor refuted in favor of something better.