• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

No FFLs in DC, no problemo.

Gunslinger

imported post

AbNo wrote:
I'll take you up on that wager.

http://www.wtopnews.com/?sid=1437663&nid=695

There are only six Federal Firearms Licensees in the District. WTOP contacted all six, and found only one is considering facilitating the transfers of handguns once the law changes.
That is amazing to me. With all the military, DOD civilians, etc, you'd think there would be many. I guess they all live in Virginia...:cry:However, sounds like an opportunity for somebody.

Gunslinger

imported post

Bill in VA wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:
Can't do it. Effectively, all interstate transfers for whatever reason have to be through a receiving state FFL. There is nothing that says private citizens in DC don't have FFLs, however. I would wager quite a few do.
No such thing. Either you are a licensee or you're not (i.e., you either hold an FFL or you do not hold an FFL.)
What I'm saying is that anyone in DC, private citizen, can apply for a FFL. The process is no different than in COS. Then, they could do business receiving/transfering for customers. At say $20-30 a pop, there would be money to be made. You can buy a gun online from any state, so long as it's shipped to a FFL. Whether a gunshop or a private party holder, it is completely legal. Then the buyer has to go thru the DC BS for registration, but handguns would be available.

ianto94

imported post

I spoke with Charles Sikes yesterday. He will be doing transfers in DC. He's just waiting for ATF to issue a new license showing his current office address.

Also ATF advised yesterday in a meeting of DC 01 and 03 licensees that it does not inspect to determine whether an 01 licensee is actually selling weapons, only that if they sell, they comply with the regulations.

KBCraig

imported post

Gunslinger wrote:
That is amazing to me. With all the military, DOD civilians, etc, you'd think there would be many.
:question:

I think you misunderstand just what a federal firearms license is, how it's obtained, and what it's used for.

Gunslinger

imported post

KBCraig wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:
That is amazing to me. With all the military, DOD civilians, etc, you'd think there would be many.

I think you misunderstand just what a federal firearms license is, how it's obtained, and what it's used for.
I can apply for, and would receive a type 1 for the purpose of buying and selling at gunshows. I already have the paperwork should I decide to do so. CO has very easy state laws--I would need a county business license to run it from my home. Other states may be more difficult with respect to zoning. I already have a C corporation and that more than meets the only possible stumbling block to get the class 3. It isn't necessary, but being a corporation definitely makes getting the license to sell and trade much smoother. Thanks to Bill in VA for a very informative post. That being said, I stand by my previous posts about its being a great business opportunity for someone living in DC.

KBCraig

imported post

Gunslinger wrote:
KBCraig wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:

I can apply for, and would receive a type 1 for the purpose of buying and selling at gunshows. .... That being said, I stand by my previous posts about its being a great business opportunity for someone living in DC.

No doubt about that. I was only questioning why you brought up the number of "military, DOD civilians, etc." It sounded like you thought those occupations would cause there to be FFLs already in DC. It obviously doesn't, and DC's restrictions obviously have a bearing on that.

Gunslinger

imported post

Bill in VA wrote:
Thanks for the kudos, Gunslinger, but a little more clarity for you based on your last post. Speaking from experience (and from the point of the US Code) the BATF will not grant an FFL if you only intend to do gunshows or sell online. You'll have to demonstrate that you have a physical address that allows for walk-in business and has actual business hors for those walk-in customers. "By appointment only" won't cut it either; they want something...."Mon.-Fri. 9-5" is always good, but isn't required. A fellow across town from me has his hours set at Mon.- Fri. 3-6 and by appointment. It gives him time to get home from his "normal" job and hang out in his shop next door until his wife calls him in for supper. One other reason they want a physical address and actual hours is for the annual compliance inspection. It's not required that it's announced ahead of time,and typically they like to just show up and say "here we are."

Some advice if you intend to follow through in getting a Type 01/dealer's FFL:

You don't need a store font in the typical sense but you need somethign (see above) and that "something" has be located in an area zoned to conduct business. If your home is located in mized zoning that's great; if not, you'll need to find a better location or secure a zoning variance from your local (city/town/county) government. You'll also need to meet all city/town/county/state licensing requirements (tax ID numbers, proper business licenses, etc...) before they'll grant your dealer's FFL. Finally, and this is only advice, not law or regulations: Do not use your home as your licensed premises. Your compliance inspectors have the full authority to inspect your licensed premises. Do you really want them to have full and unfetteredaccess to your home? If you're determined to use your home's curtilage, my advice is to construct a small outbuilding with it's own separate entrance and mailing address and use that as your licensed premises. Oh, and about the Class III SOT, there's no stumbling blocks to speak of once you hava your FFL. You simply pay the tax and use your EIN number as your SOT number (send in a copy of your EIN and a check for the tax...that's it. (simple, eh?)) Do not, however, send in your EIN and tax payment in june though; your Class III SOT costs $500/year and runs from July 1through June 30and is not pro-rated.
More good info. Like I said, being incorporated will make it easier to get and the separate building on your property is a great idea! Also, having a few guns for sale starting out would help, I imagine. There is a guy out here that does exactly that. Mainly gun shows, but a nice, large shed on his property. He is a class C corporation too. I recommend that for liability purposes, if no other reason, anyway.

Lacoste

imported post

As any DC resident will tell you: Why should interstate laws apply to DC ... it's not a state. So theoretically VA and MD should be able to sell to DC ;)

Like the license plates say, "No Taxation without Representation".

Lacoste

vinnie wrote:
IKBCraig wrote:
vinnie wrote:
No law about reciving a gift across state lines is there?

The law doesn't distinguish between gifts and sales. It's interstate transfers that are illegal unless they go through an FFL (in the resident's state, if it's a handgun).
I'm note sure that that is the case. I think that that would be stretching commerce clause a little too far.
But thats just my opinion.