• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

No FFLs in DC, no problemo.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

There are of course some FFLs in DC, but at the moment it isn't clear that they do business with the general public.

I have a solution.

Make your own gun.

If I lived in DC here is what I would consider doing.
Go to a Virginia gun shop or gun show and obtain a black powder revolver. They are not federally regulated and out of state residents can purchase them. In fact on their own they are not the worst pistol to be armed with especially if you get multiple cylinders for reloads.
Also if you prefer centerfire, you can get conversion cylinders that will allow the use of fixed centerfire ammunition.

Heres a good example of a gun that would be a good candidate for a conversion.
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=183598

The conversion cylinder
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=502091

soloban

imported post

Now there's an idea... That would be quite the conversation piece as well. Honestly, for the hassle, I would just as soon have a shotgun.

longwatch

imported post

Thought of another class of handguns that DC residents can obtain sans FFL.
Pre 1899 firearms. They probably need to be registered but can be bought and shipped to someplace outside DC, and brought into DC when the registration process is complete.

See http://www.antiquefirearms.org/blog/ for a seller of such firearms.

I wouldn't mind this .44 special 1873 Bisley.
index.php

longwatch

imported post

If you have a C&R License why cant a C&R revolver be mailed to a DC resident as well?

Also there is 1 FFL who will be 'available' for transfers, but time will tell how that works out.

longwatch

imported post

Doing more research on the the C&R route, it looks like the most commonly available C&R revolver is the Nagant. How about that.

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

longwatch wrote:
Pre 1899 firearms. They probably need to be registered but can be bought and shipped to someplace outside DC, and brought into DC when the registration process is complete.

index.php
That Bisley can't be "shipped to your door" unless you have a C&R...otherwise, it would still have to be transfered through an FFL.
It has to be a black powder gun to be considered "antique" in the sense that you guys are discussing.....not ALL pre 1898 guns qualify.
See the ATF definition below......

style="font-family: 'Arial'; font-size: 10pt;"Antique firearm. (a) Any firearm (including any firearm with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system) manufactured in or before 1898; and (b) any replica of any firearm described in paragraph (a) of this definition if such replica (1) is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition, or (2) uses rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition which is no longer manufactured in the United States and which is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade.

Thundar

imported post

longwatch wrote:
Doing more research on the the C&R route, it looks like the most commonly available C&R revolver is the Nagant. How about that.
Auction arms is currently auctioning 98 C&R revolvers. The Nagant is one of the most common and most inexpensive, but there are lot to choose from. If I had to pick a self defence handgun from what was offered, mine would be a colt police special in .38 special. A little more expensive, but a better firearm. Ammo is a lot cheaper too.

longwatch

imported post

Comp-tech wrote:
longwatch wrote:

index.php
That Bisley can't be "shipped to your door" unless you have a C&R...otherwise, it would still have to be transfered through an FFL.
It has to be a black powder gun to be considered "antique" in the sense that you guys are discussing.....not ALL pre 1898 guns qualify.
See the ATF definition below......

style="font-family: 'Arial'; font-size: 10pt;"Antique firearm. (a) Any firearm (including any firearm with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system) manufactured in or before 1898; and (b) any replica of any firearm described in paragraph (a) of this definition if such replica (1) is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition, or (2) uses rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition which is no longer manufactured in the United States and which is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade.
If it is a replica you are correct, if the receiver was manufactured pre 1899 it can be shipped sans FFL.

OC-Glock19

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Thundar wrote:
Is there any way to geta few peoplelicensed asFFL Dealersin D.C.? From there we could try to organize the first DC Gun show! Whoop, Whoop!!!!
If I remember correctly, it's a crime to display a handgun in the District. I guess you could have a table covered with pictures of the guns you're selling. haha

vinnie

imported post

I supose we could start a fund to give away revolverd in DC. No law about reciving a gift across state lines is there?

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

vinnie wrote:
I supose we could start a fund to give away revolverd in DC. No law about reciving a gift across state lines is there?
You still have to do the transfer through an FFL.

KBCraig

imported post

vinnie wrote:
No law about reciving a gift across state lines is there?

The law doesn't distinguish between gifts and sales. It's interstate transfers that are illegal unless they go through an FFL (in the resident's state, if it's a handgun).

vinnie

imported post

IKBCraig wrote:
vinnie wrote:
No law about reciving a gift across state lines is there?

The law doesn't distinguish between gifts and sales. It's interstate transfers that are illegal unless they go through an FFL (in the resident's state, if it's a handgun).
I'm note sure that that is the case. I think that that would be stretching commerce clause a little too far.
But thats just my opinion.

rspiess

imported post

I can see where there may be an issue if a gun store made the gift as they would have to have paperwork, but there should beno problem if I gave a personally owned gun to a friend/family memberwho lives in another state.

Would this not be like my father who lives in Texas giving me one of his guns and I live in Virginia?

Gunslinger

imported post

Can't do it. Effectively, all interstate transfers for whatever reason have to be through a receiving state FFL. There is nothing that says private citizens in DC don't have FFLs, however. I would wager quite a few do.