Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Ridiculous Statistics

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Joliet, Illinois, USA
    Posts
    237

    Post imported post

    http://www.comcast.net/articles/news...eaths.Suicide/

    I'm not sure how long that link will be valid, but basically it's a story about how suicides account for more gun related deaths than homicides and that a home that has a firearm is more likely to have a suicide or homicide. I have two comments on this.

    1. If there are more suicides, you would think that the anti-gun establishment would be happy that we are killing ourselves off.
    2. They make no mention of whether or not the homicides that occur are justified in self defense or not.

    Just my $.02. What say you?

  2. #2
    Regular Member AZkopper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Prescott, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    673

    Post imported post

    Wow, so guns cause suicides?????

    Ya'know, I can't count the times when I was just, you know, hangin' out in my house, when my gun flew from the couner top, across the room, pried itself into my hands, and tried to kill me.

    Another newsflash: Guns are more effective at killing than pills. Thats why, when their home or family is threatened, most people shoot the assailant rather than throw a few tylenol at them.

    *yawn* Usual liberal fare.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Catasauqua, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    3,047

    Post imported post


  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Gary, Indiana, USA
    Posts
    518

    Post imported post

    Apparently, the antis believe that for a person who is suicidal, removing any and all firearms from the home will magically rid them of whatever is making them want to kill themselves. The solution for a suicidal person is not removing firearms from the home, but instead, getting them some help.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Chambersburg, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    252

    Post imported post

    My g/f asked me not too long ago if I was ever afraid I might hurt myself with my gun, as in commit suicide (I am not too happy living in this area, to say the least ). And this struck me as ridiculous immediately. Why would I be afraid of what I might decide in the future? Whatever choice I make regarding my life and its ultimate end, if made by myself, is not going to be affected by an inanimate object. I am making decisions, I am the moral agent, not that ugly green and black chunk of steel

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Gary, Indiana, USA
    Posts
    518

    Post imported post

    thorsmitersaw wrote:
    My g/f asked me not too long ago if I was ever afraid I might hurt myself with my gun, as in commit suicide (I am not too happy living in this area, to say the least ). And this struck me as ridiculous immediately. Why would I be afraid of what I might decide in the future? Whatever choice I make regarding my life and its ultimate end, if made by myself, is not going to be affected by an inanimate object. I am making decisions, I am the moral agent, not that ugly green and black chunk of steel
    That ugly green and black chunk of steel wouldn't happen to be a Glock, would it?

  7. #7
    Founder's Club Member OC-Glock19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Woodbridge, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    561

    Post imported post

    "Did you know that 65% of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by handguns?"-- Gloria


    "Would it make you feel any better little girl, if they was pushed outa windows?"-- Archie Bunker



  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Catasauqua, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    3,047

    Post imported post

    tattedupboy wrote:
    Apparently, the antis believe that for a person who is suicidal, removing any and all firearms from the home will magically rid them of whatever is making them want to kill themselves. The solution for a suicidal person is not removing firearms from the home, but instead, getting them some help.
    Oh, and removing the stigma attached to getting help. Sure, we'll help you through your depression.... but congratulations, you just forfeited your right to ever own a firearm again!

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Joliet, Illinois, USA
    Posts
    237

    Post imported post

    imperialism2024 wrote:
    tattedupboy wrote:
    Apparently, the antis believe that for a person who is suicidal, removing any and all firearms from the home will magically rid them of whatever is making them want to kill themselves. The solution for a suicidal person is not removing firearms from the home, but instead, getting them some help.
    Oh, and removing the stigma attached to getting help. Sure, we'll help you through your depression.... but congratulations, you just forfeited your right to ever own a firearm again!
    An excellent point, as always, Imperialism2024!

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Catasauqua, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    3,047

    Post imported post

    I_Hate_Illinois wrote:
    imperialism2024 wrote:
    tattedupboy wrote:
    Apparently, the antis believe that for a person who is suicidal, removing any and all firearms from the home will magically rid them of whatever is making them want to kill themselves. The solution for a suicidal person is not removing firearms from the home, but instead, getting them some help.
    Oh, and removing the stigma attached to getting help. Sure, we'll help you through your depression.... but congratulations, you just forfeited your right to ever own a firearm again!
    An excellent point, as always, Imperialism2024!
    Thanks. It's just very unfortunate that more and more, people who need some help are encouraged to bottle their feelings inside and avoid seeking help, lest they be locked up in a padded room for the next few days/weeks/months and medicated into oblivion. Sometimes (often times?) those suffering severe depression need a slap in the face, and help reassessing their priorities in life. Guidance. Not intervention.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Gary, Indiana, USA
    Posts
    518

    Post imported post

    imperialism2024 wrote:
    I_Hate_Illinois wrote:
    imperialism2024 wrote:
    tattedupboy wrote:
    Apparently, the antis believe that for a person who is suicidal, removing any and all firearms from the home will magically rid them of whatever is making them want to kill themselves. The solution for a suicidal person is not removing firearms from the home, but instead, getting them some help.
    Oh, and removing the stigma attached to getting help. Sure, we'll help you through your depression.... but congratulations, you just forfeited your right to ever own a firearm again!
    An excellent point, as always, Imperialism2024!
    Thanks. It's just very unfortunate that more and more, people who need some help are encouraged to bottle their feelings inside and avoid seeking help, lest they be locked up in a padded room for the next few days/weeks/months and medicated into oblivion. Sometimes (often times?) those suffering severe depression need a slap in the face, and help reassessing their priorities in life. Guidance. Not intervention.
    While I may not be a doctor, I just know that if a friend or loved one of mine was suicidal, the last thing I'd be thinking about is whether or not they would lose their right to own firearms. I'd be more concerned about keeping them alive, and if sending them to a psychiatrist is what it takes to accomplish that, then so be it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •