• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Long day OCing..

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Went downtown today with the revolver. Stopped in a neat asian place I hadn't been to yet, but heard good things about. $5.95 lunch got me a nice plate with almond fried chicken, fried rice and two eggrolls with sauce. Also had a pork and shrimp springroll and some decent tea, came out to under $10, so I was happy. Nobody said a word about the gun, or indicated it was a problem.

Then I went and got a pastry and iced tea at a nearby coffee shop, again no incident.

Then I went to Browser's Books...

I went to the back to get a sci fi book to read for the day. As I'm looking, I hear two staff members talking "He has a gun", etc... then I hear what sounds like a call to 911. Urgh. So I grab a book that looks interesting and go up to ring out. The guy on the phone sounded kind of nervous and was giving the store phone number to someone. When he got off the phone he asked me about the legalities of OC. I gave him a pamphlet. Then a woman asked me why I felt "the need" to "carry a gun like that around all the time." I should have gone more into civil rights, and really wasn't expecting this conversation I was more figuring out how to deal with the possibility of cops. I smiled and told her I liken it to a fire extinguisher, seat belts or a well stocked first aid kit. All things you never, ever want to have to use for their intended purpsoses, but when you need them, you NEED them. Hopefully they got some good stuff out of the pamphlet.

Spent the rest of the day in another coffee shop where the manager doesn't give a crap about OC, and in a park in downtown. I think someone called about me in the park, as a police car drove by real slow scoping out the park near where I was sitting.

Long, hot do nothing, had nothing bad happen day.

just_a_car

imported post

Agent 47 wrote:
just_a_car wrote:
Holo wrote:
Out of curiosity, what book did you grab?
Probably Armed and Alive by Massad Ayoob. *chuckle*
I don't think I have seen that one in the Si-Fi section. ;)
Good call, A. Hehe.

SV, I love Pratchett's stuff. I've read a few of his books (dad has 95% of them) and I've had the pleasure to meet him twice and get his autograph.

Holo

imported post

Hah. I love Pratchett myself. I have every book he's ever written.

You should try to find the audiobooks. The guy who does the voice acting is superb. Death has a whole new facet when you can hear his voice. The wife and I fall asleep every night with the audiobooks playing on the Ipod; just makes it hard to fall asleep sometimes when he's at a very good part in the book :lol: