• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry/loaded gun

Glockguy

imported post

In the state of oregon... are you allowed to open carry a loaded gun? and are you allowed to have a loaded clip on ur hip as well? I also have my CHL, Im just really curious about Open carry laws in oregon.. and So im sorry if some of my questions may be stupid...

Thanks for reading this.

Puddin99

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Welcome aboard.

Yes, you can carry loaded - i.e. one in the chamer. Your CHL will exempt you from any local laws in the state. For someone who doesn't have their permit,they would need to check the cities they are visiting as they vary. For example, in PDX, you would need to have it unloaded without a permit while open carrying.

Ken

jamesb3002

imported post

Some cities have restrictions on carrying a loaded handgun but your CHL exempts you from these restrictions.

The cities that have restrictions are:

The Dalles
Beaverton
Oregon City
Bend
Independence
Salem
Tigard
Portland

I have been open carrying in Portalnd for over a year now and have not had any problems at all.

No NAU

imported post

Bend is only banned in City Parks. CHL exempts one from that ban for CC or OC. The rest of the town and Deschutes County is OC.

SetivaSicWood

imported post

Unloadedw/o a CHL in these citiesmeans:

Nocartridges in the hand gun, period.

This includes any mags you may have on your person.

You can carry them but they must remain separate from the gun and it's parts.

Glockguy

imported post

Sooo Pretty Much if you Have a CHL you can open carry with a loaded gun in :

The Dalles
Beaverton
Oregon City
Bend
Independence
Salem
Tigard
Portland

But if you dont have a CHL you cant OPEN carry in thoes places?? is that correct?? and if that is soo... Why does a CHL Change that???

Glockguy

imported post

Pretty much.... Open carry laws confuse me lol... I guess im just kinda scared how a police officer would react if i was seen OCing, or if im OC'ing in a place i shouldnt and didnt realize it..

Orygunner

imported post

Glockguy wrote:
Pretty much.... Open carry laws confuse me lol... I guess im just kinda scared how a police officer would react if i was seen OCing, or if im OC'ing in a place i shouldnt and didnt realize it..
I've been open carrying for the past three weeks in and around Eugene/Springfield, and although I haven't had any contact with police officers, some people around me have taken notice. No negative comments yet, one kid asked if I was a cop.

I've carried into three different banks (Oregon Community CU and SELCO CU), stores, the kids' orthodontist, while riding bikes on the bike paths down by the Willamette, and no problems.

I am prepared if I am confronted by a police officer. My cell phone is set as a voice recorder with only two quick button presses, and I have a printout of all the relevant Oregon Revised Statutes from chapter 166 in my pocket at all times when I'm open carrying. I intend to comply with any lawful orders, and although I'm sure I'm going to be scared s#$%less, I'll do my best to remain respectful and helpful to the police officer while still retaining my rights. ;)

Since there's no law specifically allowing open carry, you almost have to connect the dots between the different Statutes to see if you're legal or not. What isn't prohibited is allowed.

I've been meaning to write this out for some time, perhaps to make up a plain english pamplet explaining the laws in case I wanted to explain them to someone. I am not an lawyer, but I think I have it nailed down pretty well.

My interpretation of the Oregon Revised Statutes, chapter 166 (http://www.leg.state.or.us/ors/166.html) is this:

ORS 166.250 says I can't carry a concealed firearm, and it can't be concealed within a motor vehicle if it is readily accessable to any occupant, but carried openly in a belt holster is NOT considered to be concealed for the purposes of the Statute. I understand this to mean that even while in a vehicle, I can have it in my belt holster. Even if it can't be seen by a police officer at my window, it CANNOT be considered concealed because it is in a holster, not covered!

ORS 166.250 also says felons, mentally ill, children under 18 with juvie records, etc. can't have a gun. Children under 18 may have posession of long guns if given with parent or guardian's consent, and pistols temporarily for lawful purposes. So If I wanted to, I could send my kids walking around town with rifles slung over their shoulders, and it would be legal (as long as they don't violate other laws).

ORS 166.260 tells me I can carry concealed (it says the concealed prohibition does not apply) if I have a hunting or fishing license, and am going to or from a hunting or fishing expedition.If I'm a member of a gun organization/club, I can carry concealed to and from the club's shooting range. It also says if I have a CHL (which I applied for last week and should have before the end of July) I can carry concealed on my person, or in my vehicle.

ORS 166.370 tells me I cannot carry any firearm in any court facility, public building (including hospitals, city hall, public or private schools, colleges, universities, residence of any state elected official, or ANY building occupied by an "agency of the state or municipal corporation", and the grounds adjacent to the buildings.I take that to mean I can't carry in any city, county, or state government office, including police stations, libraries, etc, and the property up to the public street. If I pick up my kids from school, I have to make sure my handgun is unloaded, and locked in the vehicle. To comply, I unload it and lock it in the glove compartment (It's concealed, but I believe because it's locked, it's not readily accessable), ortrunk.If I am open carrying while riding my bicycle, I cannot ride on the grounds around a public building or school, and must stay in the street or opposite sidewalk. However, when I get my CHL, the ONLY one of these places still prohibited is court facilities, everything else is legal to concealed OR open carry.

ORS 166.170 (preemption) tells me that the State Legislature is the only government entity in the state of Oregon that can pass laws relating to sale, acquisition, transfer, ownership, possession, storage, transportation or use of firearms or ammunition.

However, ORS 166.171 and .172 allow cities and counties to regulate where firearms may be fired, with exceptions for lawful hunting & self defense.

Here's the one I really dislike:

ORS 166.173 allows cities or counties to make laws prohibiting LOADED firearms in public places, but this does not apply to people with a CHL. So far the only cities I know of prohibiting loaded firearms are:

The Dalles
Beaverton
Oregon City
Bend
Independence
Salem
Tigard
Portland

The point of Preemption (ORS 166.170) is to keep from having to watch out for a patchwork of gun regulations, but unless you have a CHL, you still have to know city and county laws for possession of loaded firearms. I have heard mentioned that INSIDE your car is not a public place, so you can still have a loaded firearm inside a motor vehicle in those cities without a CHL, but I wouldn't want to be the test case for that :)

If ever threatened with Disordertly Conduct or Intimidation, ORS Chapter 166 also deals with Disorderly Conduct (166.023-.025) and Intimidation (166.065). Read those statutes and you'll see that peacefully carrying a handgun in an open belt holster cannot possibly fall within the definitions of those laws.

SUMMARY:

Without a CHL, you have to open carry, and can't carry in any "public buildings" or on the property adjacent to them. Watch out for specific cities that ban carrying loaded firearms.

WITH a CHL, you're good to go ANYWHERE in the state, carrying open, or concealed, except "court facilities." Local ordinances against carrying a loaded firearm do not apply to you.

Whether licenced with a CHL or not,watch out for FEDERAL buildings and property (have to check federal laws for those).

Last note: There's one other statute that states you cannot carry a loaded firearm while riding an ATV. I know the legislature is trying to make CHL holders exempt, but that hasn't passed yet.

GlockGuy, did this clear up Oregon law?

Does anyone have any comments, corrections, or arguments or affirmations? :)

...Orygunner...

grishnav

imported post

Orygunner wrote:
Last note: There's one other statute that states you cannot carry a loaded firearm while riding an ATV. I know the legislature is trying to make CHL holders exempt, but that hasn't passed yet.

...Orygunner...
Pretty much on the spot. One final note: There is also a law that says that you may not emit an artificial light from within your vehicle while carrying a handgun, unless you have a CHL. This is probably intended mostly as a hunting regulation, but is so broadly written that, if pulled over OCing a handgun w/o a CHL at night, it's illegal for you to turn your dome light on so that the officer can see into your vehicle better. :quirky

Orygunner

imported post

grishnav wrote:
Orygunner wrote:

...Orygunner...
Pretty much on the spot. One final note: There is also a law that says that you may not emit an artificial light from within your vehicle while carrying a handgun, unless you have a CHL. This is probably intended mostly as a hunting regulation, but is so broadly written that, if pulled over OCing a handgun w/o a CHL at night, it's illegal for you to turn your dome light on so that the officer can see into your vehicle better. :quirky

Yes, ORS 166.663. It says no bow & arrow or firearm may be in immediate posession while casting an artificiallight from a motor vehicle. Exempt are headlights on a motor vehicle while operated in a usual manner on a highway,CHL holders, and a couple other examples.

While technicially they could cite you for the dome light, I would have a hard time believing that would stand up in court. I agree it's probably a hunting type regulation to prevent spotlighting game.

...Orygunner...

firefighter.mm

imported post

Yes you can carry open and loaded in Oregon. You can also carry open if you have a CHL. I called the Sheriff's office and asked about open carry even with my CHL because i came from California where you cant carry open if you have a CHL. I dont know though about the mags.

bbuchana12

imported post

I really appreciate you doing this. It's really help A LOTin my discussions with fellow 2nd amendment rights activists, and has really cleared things up for me. God bless!

Teddybearfrmhell

imported post

Glockguy wrote:
In the state of oregon... are you allowed to open carry a loaded gun? and are you allowed to have a loaded clip on ur hip as well? I also have my CHL, Im just really curious about Open carry laws in oregon.. and So im sorry if some of my questions may be stupid...

Thanks for reading this.
the open carry of an unloaded gun has about as much value as the open carry of a hammer.... infact the roofing hammer might be BETTER....

We-the-People

imported post

Now there's an idea Teddybear....... when I go to school i carry a belt holster with a hammer.....hmmmm they'd probably say it fell under "anthing that could be used as a deadly weapon" as they ignore all the gals with heavy purses, people with canes, etc.

Teddybearfrmhell

imported post

"every tool is a weapon if you hold it right" Ani DiFranco.....

ink pen, credit card, drinking straw, pencil, lap dog... all are "DEADLY weapons" in the hands of one willing to use it as so.

imagine how safe they would feel if they could grasp THAT idea?

We-the-People

imported post

We were just discussing that on campus yesterday. School policy prohibits basically anythign that could be used as a dangerous weapon....HUH?

So all those sharp pens and pencils, heavy book bags, umbrellas, cripe even the majority of text books.....ALL PROHIBITED as any one of them COULD be used as a dangerous weapon.

But they're okay with a some,barely over minimum wage, employees carrying around mace, an ASP, and even firearms because they're called "security guards".

Go figure.

Teddybearfrmhell

imported post

the wage a man earns is irrelevant to me, its his will to do the right thing when times are hard that i wonder about. my brother was an armored car guard for 18 years, all of it on the truck, looking out for other peoples money. this is a job i would never do, put myself in jeopardy for someone elses belongings. i dont care what the wage is, never would be enough for that job.

on the other hand, i would and have walked into situations that put my life in danger because it was the right thing to do. i just hope that your security guard has thought that thru when his "very bad day" makes him face the reality.... he is working for minimum wage and now he has to earn his pay..... this i have no faith in.... i would rather depend on a few people who realize that THEY themselves are responsible for their own security AND the defence of others...

We-the-People

imported post

DITTO though I'm pretty sure the security guards DUTY is not to engage but rather "observe and report". While I'm sure a guard would be legally okay if he did engage and BG, I don't believe there is any kind ofDUTY to do so, just as the police department has no duty to the individual but only to society.

Hopefully most in either profession would "step up" but I don't think they have a legal OBLIGATION to do so. We could debate all day on the moral obligation but that is strictly up to that individuals morals. We all have morals but every one of us has different ones.

I'd much rather depend on myself, as I know you would as well.