• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC with Slide Open?

scorpioajr

imported post

This is actually a thought my buddy was gave me when we were going over the steps and the fact that the gun has to be unloaded. Well, i figured it would freak ppl out MORE, lol. but there IS a good point here about it being faster to load.

Attachments

• 0701080023a.jpg
    0701080023a.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 224

b1ack5mith

imported post

ive thought about it.... but then take into the consideration that dust will get in there... people will look... and then tell the police "theres a man with a gun open, and i can see the bullets!"

scorpioajr

imported post

thx997303 wrote:
... guess your Sigma's not bad either.

you guess ? geez... 16 shots aint bad bro. :D To date: id say i have put roughly 6000+ rounds through it in a 3-4 year span. I have ONLY had to replace the shell extractor once. (Was done for free by Smith & Wesson lifetime warranty)

GeneticsDave

imported post

thx997303 wrote:
With my weapon, it's hard to get the slide to release like that.
Try not using the slide release with your thumb. Instead, try "slingshotting" the slide by yanking the slide back and letting it go. If you have a mag with rounds in it, it should release and chamber a round. This is faster in some cases.

I still don't think carrying with the slide locked back is a good idea - too many issues I see with that method.

thx997303

imported post

ah, I see what you mean, lock the slide back on the last round hold open, then insert the fully loaded mag, and when you need it, just pull it back slightly and let it go forward, still don't think I would try this.

swillden

imported post

Maybe if you had a holster that covered the action. With a Serpa, I'd be afraid of crud getting in there and gumming it up when you need it.

I'm also not sure it would be that much faster than just racking the slide. With some practice you can draw, rack and fire very close to as fast as you can draw and fire a "ready" gun. The normal strong-side hip draw stroke is up, rotate, and push forward. If you grab the slide with your weak hand as you rotate the gun up and then hold the slide as you push the gun forward, it'll be racked by the time your arm is extended.

There are some videos of Israeli soldiers around. Those guys draw, rack and shoot faster than I can draw and shoot.

41 Magnum

imported post

Two big drawbacks:

1. Crud WILL get in there. This may give you bad trouble when you least need it.

2. IF someone got a hand on it in a scuffle, you've just given them a hell of a lot of leverage. (This is not likely, but is possible. Surely 99.9% have better awareness than letting someone get that close.)

And as mentioned above, a draw & rack is so close speed-wise that it just isn't worth it.

scorpioajr

imported post

swillden wrote:
...Maybe if you had a holster that covered the action. With a Serpa, I'd be afraid of crud getting in there and gumming it up when you need it....

If im not mistaken, i think the FOBUS holsters cover the action...

scorpioajr

imported post

thx997303 wrote:
Not mine, only covers the front of the slide and the trigger.
Okay. Might be different for the gun then, i know that my bud just ordered a FOBUS for his Walther P22 - it covered its action, i think... ill check.

scorpioajr

imported post

scorpioajr wrote:
thx997303 wrote:
Not mine, only covers the front of the slide and the trigger.
Okay. Might be different for the gun then, i know that my bud just ordered a FOBUS for his Walther P22 - it covered its action, i think... ill check.
Your right: it looks like it only covers the action partially...

Attachments

• WP22.gif
    WP22.gif
    19.6 KB · Views: 172