• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Treasure Valley OC Event

IndianaBoy79

imported post

OK, 1 week away folks. Invite a friend, grab a family member, and head on down to ZooBoise. We'll meet at 10am next Saturday at the main entrance. PM me if you would like my phone number in case you show late or get lost.

BrianEMT

imported post

Oh and who wants to type up a script for the local news tiplines? I would be glad to call...I just can't think of what to say at the moment...I left my newsability strategery back with my SCCC duties in Oregon haha...

Domandred

imported post

Note that Saturday July 19th is also the annual Twilight Criterium bike race in BODO. I'll be out of town most of the day but I usually go to the races. Maybe this year I will OC instead of CC.

BrianEMT

imported post

Okay no one...I see. Well how about something like:

The members of the OCDO (Opencarry.org) board will be conducting an awareness event on Saturday July 19th at the Boise Zoo. The event will begin at 10AM as board members meet with handguns, which will remain holstered in plain view. We will attempt to raise awareness of our rights and spread the word to others regarding open carry. We hope you as well as your staff at (whatever) will find this story of interest.

Suggest changes and revisions and give me a yay or nay. I need to get it out to the tipline ASAP.

Hiredgun30

imported post

make sure and get pics .
and video if you can so we can post on youtube

I have to work at the prison till 230 pm so i wont be able to make it..
i tried to get the day off but no deal.

i emailed nate shelman and let him know about the event.
I will call him tomorrow and remind him.
if he needs a gun to wear, ill let him use mine

BrianEMT

imported post

Hiredgun30 wrote:
make sure and get pics .
and video if you can so we can post on youtube

I have to work at the prison till 230 pm so i wont be able to make it..
i tried to get the day off but no deal.

i emailed nate shelman and let him know about the event.
I will call him tomorrow and remind him.
if he needs a gun to wear, ill let him use mine
But does that "Press Release" about sound good to you guys? If so I will get it out tonight to all the news stations and the paper...

Did anyone check if the BoiseShooters clan is in on this too? I could make a post over there too...

I can get pictures, I will bring a small P&S camera, but I dont want to bring my big DSLR...and my only camcorder records HD and weighs about 20lbs haha...

BrianEMT

imported post

This is our "press release" if there are no objections within 10 minutes.

" Good Evening,

On the morning of Saturday July 19th, 2008, the members of both OCDO (www.opencarry.org) and those of BoiseShooters.com will be conduction an open carry awareness event at the Boise Zoo. Board members meet with handguns, which will remain holstered in plain view. This event will attempt to raise awareness of our 2[sup]nd[/sup] Amendment rights and spread the word to others regarding open carry. We hope you as well as your staff at (whatever) will find this story of interest.

Background:
OpenCarry.org was founded in 2004 by Virginia gun-rights activists John Pierce and Mike Stollenwerk and has served to ignite the "Open Carry Movement" that is sweeping the country.
In addition to being an invaluable legal resource for gun owners, the site has quickly grown to be a social networking portal for thousands of American gun owners.
And these gun owners have made a difference in their communities! Over the last 4 years, the open carry of handguns has become much more common and less controversial as their friends, neighbors and local law enforcement discover that open carry is legal and wholesome. In fact a recent FBI report essentially concludes that "criminals don't open carry handguns."
Anthropologist Charles Springwood sums it up nicely when he commented that open carriers are trying to "naturalize the presence of guns, which means that guns become ordinary, omnipresent, and expected. Over time, the gun becomes a symbol of ordinary personhood."
OpenCarry.org believes that "a right unexercised, is a right lost," and increasingly gun owners are agreeing - it's time gun carry comes out of the closet in America!"

IndianaBoy79

imported post

Do let us know if you get any replies. WOuld be nice to know they're coming before hand. I'm camera shy though, someone else will have to do the talking :)

BrianEMT

imported post

IndianaBoy79 wrote:
Do let us know if you get any replies. WOuld be nice to know they're coming before hand. I'm camera shy though, someone else will have to do the talking :)
I just noticed you joined a day after I did. :dude:

If no one knows the material better than I do, I think I will be able to cover it. When I took the Campus Director position for Students for Concealed Carry on Campus, it would seem it was big news that was backlogged...I had five interviews in one day...

IndianaBoy79

imported post

BrianEMT wrote:
I just noticed you joined a day after I did. :dude:

Ahhh, but how long did you lurk? ;) I've been watching these guys with awe for about a year and a half before I signed up. Took me awhile to grow a pair, eh?

Ok, looking forward to seeing everyone tomorrow morning! PM me by tonight if you are having any issues and need help getting there. Hope to see lots of faces!

Navajo

imported post

Is their a min. age to Open carry in Idaho?

I'm asking because I could bring my kids along.

They all have pistols ( I would leave the old H&R pistols empty)

IndianaBoy79

imported post

18 to OC a handgun. I think any age to carry while under your supervision or with written permission? Someone help me on this one.... there were some kids last year doing this if I remember right.

In any case, do bring the family, welcome to OCDO and we hope to meet you all tomorrow!

BrianEMT

imported post

IndianaBoy79 wrote:
18 to OC a handgun. I think any age to carry while under your supervision or with written permission? Someone help me on this one.... there were some kids last year doing this if I remember right.

In any case, do bring the family, welcome to OCDO and we hope to meet you all tomorrow!
If I still remember correctly, its stated under Chapter 33 Section 18. You may carry WEAPONS in plain view with written permission of the parent or while in their presence. This however, applies ONLY to items such as knives, incapacitating sprays, baton systems, etc. No firearms under 18, no exceptions.

But either way, bring them along!

Navajo

imported post

Thanks for the info.

hope to see you there. See how the day works out.

I'll have the kids wear their Ka-Bars then.

Hiredgun30

imported post

Code:
18-3302E.  POSSESSION OF A WEAPON BY A MINOR. (1) It shall be unlawful for
any person under the age of eighteen (18) years to possess or have in
possession any weapon, as defined in section 18-3302A, Idaho Code, unless he:
(a)  Has the written permission of his parent or guardian to possess the
weapon; or
(b)  Is accompanied by his parent or guardian while he has the weapon in
his possession.
(2)  Any minor under the age of twelve (12) years in possession of a
weapon shall be accompanied by an adult.
(3)  Any person who violates the provisions of this section is guilty of a
misdemeanor.

BrianEMT

imported post

"Hi...I'm Anna Webb, the Saturday reporter at the Statesman. I'm interested
in stopping by your event tomorrow, but your press release doesn't mention a
time. Do you have more info that you can send me?
Thanks."