Thread: CCW permit in Jefferson County

Post imported post

Today marks 3 weeks since I applied for my CCW in Jefferson County, WV. I know state law provides them 45 days to issue the permit, so I'm not worried. The owner of the gun store and range I frequent said to me on the day I applied, "Jefferson County is fast, you'll have it in 2 weeks."

I'm just curious what others have experienced in this county. How long did it take to get yours?

Again, I'm still well within the 45-day window, so I'm not concerned about it. I'm just curious.

But every day I do secretly hope my phone will ring and it will be the Sheriff telling me to come pick up my permit.

Post imported post

Heh, ask and ye shall receive, eh? I just got the call I've been waiting for. I'm off to see the sheriff.

So now I have my own answer for this question: 3 weeks to the day!

Post imported post

Sweet I am still waiting filed mine last wed.See you at the city hall

Post imported post

Indeed you will. Good luck with your CCW. I found the Jefferson County Sheriff a pleasure to deal with. Everyone I had contact with there was really nice and helpful, including the deputies that handle taking your picture and everything. Heck, as I was walking out another deputy who was also going out the door (an older gentleman) gave me a friendly pat on the back. Doesn't get a whole lot nicer than that.

Post imported post

What did they take your picture for?

Post imported post

The WV CCW permit looks a little bit like a driver's license, and has your photo on it.

Post imported post

They must be county specific, the Berkeley County one is just a laminated piece of paper. Out of curiosity did they put your social security number on there as well?

Post imported post

Yeah, it's on the back. I didn't realize they were county specific. That's interesting. I'm surprised the state doesn't define the format.

Post imported post

ยง61-7-4. License to carry deadly weapons; how obtained.
    (a) Except as provided in subsection (h) of this section, any person desiring to obtain a state license to carry a concealed deadly weapon shall apply to the sheriff of his or her county for such license, and shall pay to the sheriff, at the time of application, a fee of seventy-five dollars

Hrm. Jefferson County charged me $80. Maybe I should go for a refund of my $5?

Yeah, probably not. I think I'll just let it go.

BTW, here's why the CCW permits have our SSNs on them:

(i) Each license shall contain the full name, social security number and address of the licensee and a space upon which the signature of the licensee shall be signed with pen and ink.

Post imported post

Federal law restricts social security numbers from being on anything other than social security cards. For a CCW that looks similar to a license I would pay an extra $5. The Berkeley County ones look like something I would print off of a home p.c...