• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

H.R. 6257 (Legislation to reinstate the Assault Weapons Ban)

Hawker

imported post

H.R. 6257, The Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act, known as the Assault Weapons Ban is here again (as of June 12, 2008).

This billisco-sponsored by none other than Delaware's own Rep. Mike Castle and is currently being considered in the House for reinstatement (for another 10 years).

Forthose interested, please read the bill andcontact Congressman Castle with your thoughts. This is a very bad bill and will be detrimental to all of us who value our rights. Pleasekeep your comments respectful, if for no other reason than to reinforce the point that gun people are responsible people.

READ Full Text Here: H.R. 6257

Contact info and website for Mike Castle: http://www.castle.house.gov/

stephpd

imported post

Looks like the sponsor and all co-sponsors are Republicans.

Not to worry, it's dead on the hill. No way Democrats will let that get to the floor before an election. Wait until the next congress gets started before anyone takes on that crap.

It does make me want to vote for anyone besides Mike Castle though.

Hawker

imported post

stephpd wrote:
Looks like the sponsor and all co-sponsors are Republicans.

Not to worry, it's dead on the hill. No way Democrats will let that get to the floor before an election. Wait until the next congress gets started before anyone takes on that crap.

It does make me want to vote for anyone besides Mike Castle though.

Do we then do nothing?

The 111th Congress will convene in January and if Obama is elected president, this bill could pass right away. Lest us not forget how anti-gun his position.

We were successful in getting Del HB 499 stricken and we will not stand by and wait on this, a Federal Bill either. I say it's time to let Mike Castle know how we feel about this bill. With all the election hub-bub coming, it will be hard to have a loud voice in the fall. Remember... back in 1994 it was Biden's bill and it passed without much problem. Delaware has a poor track record for pro-gun rights and now that Biden is still here,his son is theAG, the brady bunch is here, let's do something now. They will listen...especially to Delaware voters.

This bill is more restrictive. Do you have AR15's? How about hi-cap mags (over 10 rounds)? This bill makes possession a crime. No grandfather clause.

What do you say?

radnor

imported post

Page 2, lines 9-12. Maybe I am reading it wrong, but if you have em before it's signed into law...... Not even going to argue it's a bad bill, it is.

But you know..... With all of those EVIL BLACK GUNS on the street after the Klinton ban expired the streets were running red with blood from them.... :BS!:

sprat

imported post

copied from "NRA are you a member" thread

I am member and have been and have too be, asthe range I belong toorequires it.

NRA & assualt rifle bans. first hand experience.

I was living in Nevada in the late 1980's, I moved back to the east coast better known as the People s Republic of NJ. After I got settled in the NJ legislature debated ( No Debate, their mind was made up ) the assualt weapons ban. let me tell you folks the NRA was nowhere to be found they did nothing, the NJsportmans assoc's and clubs in NJ fought tooth& nail and lost. This has always left a bad taste in my mouth about the NRA. we ralled the capitol building, sign petitions it did nothing. What we needed was the full force of the NRA, after that experience it will take alot for themto get my full attention again.

Since Hawker knows John Sigler maybe he can tell him how embarassing it will be to see Delaware follow suite with him at the helm of the NRA

sprat