• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wash. DC Police / Heller --

Jack Hollowpoint

imported post

So now, according to an interview on Morning Edition (NPR -- fascist, left leaning gun grabbers), the Deputy Chief of Police for Wash. DC says they will issue a permit for a fully functioning long-gun or handgun in the home/residence, "but no full-auto or semi-auto"

"We're not going to license 9mm and 45 ACP semi-auto handguns."

I provide the quotes because she (it's a she) fully understands what she's looking at and appreciates the difference between full-auto and semi-auto. (As distinquished from the clueless news pundits who don't know a full-auto assault rifle from a blunderbuss.)

As noted by the NRA and similar groups, "Heller opens the doors to more litigation."

Legal counsel in places like CA, MA, Chicago, etc. are scrambling . . . as well they should. I fully expect SCOTUS to hear a follow-up RKBA case derived from Heller within the year.

ijusam

imported post

apearently DC considers a semi-auto a machine gun!

3. Machine guns. (Defined as any firearm which shoots, is designed to shoot, or can be readily converted or restored to shoot:automatically, more than 1 shot by a sin
function of the trigger; or semi-automatically, more than 12 shots without manual reloading.)

I wonder if they would allow a semi-auto with internal mag well?

Jack Hollowpoint

imported post

ijusam wrote:
apearently DC considers a semi-auto a machine gun!

3. Machine guns. (Defined as any firearm which shoots, is designed to shoot, or can be readily converted or restored to shoot:automatically, more than 1 shot by a sin
function of the trigger; or semi-automatically, more than 12 shots without manual reloading.)

I wonder if they would allow a semi-auto with internal mag well?
In terms of legal construction, the semi-colon between the two independent clauses specifies two distinct and separate legal definitions.

"12 shots without manual reloading" means just that -- feed tube, internal mag well, belt fed . . .

I wanna see these municipalities get their butts in slings over RKBA and concealed carry. The right to keep and bear according to Scalia in the majority on Heller means the right to possess for self-defense on one's person -- and that should apply exclusive of being in one's personal residence.

The notion that one can have a firearm in the home for self-defense but not on one's person for self-defense flies in the face of the most cursory reading of the majority in Heller.